The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 15:11:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Will A KEP Stage 1 and 4 puk hold?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Will A KEP Stage 1 and 4 puk hold?  (Read 5393 times)
Chris bugster

« on: August 02, 2012, 08:28:09 am »

We've got a Kep stage 1 with stock solid centre disc in our 200hp 750kg, sticky, street tyred car. The plan is to add 100hp NOS for the next race and add a 4 puk. The clutch and flywheel show slight signs of slippage at the moment. Will the newly added power be too much for the Stage 1 and 4 puk? We have a Stage 2 so can add it if you gents, from experience, say we should.

11.2@124mph
richie

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:25 am »

Chris

I ran a stage 1 with a scat 4 puck in the cabrio when it was the nitrous version and it held fine so should work with what you are doing,the flywheel material is important too,a VW flywheel is softer and seems to hold better than the chromoly versions

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Chris bugster

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22:05 am »

Thanks Richie. You were running slicks too, from what I remember and at the tracks in England which are considerably stickier than what we have  Sad

11.2@124mph
richie

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:24:15 am »

Thanks Richie. You were running slicks too, from what I remember and at the tracks in England which are considerably stickier than what we have  Sad

Yep 6W phoenixs

that 100 shot is sure going to liven that car up Shocked Grin

cheers richie

Chris bugster

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:35:39 am »

We were the only NA car in the class- all the Porsches, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc have either turbos or NOS and so far have a best of 2nd place without gas, so with NOS we should do better  Wink

11.2@124mph
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 14:47:49 pm »

And we do have a progressive nitrous controller so it should help the clutch to live.
richie

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 15:16:44 pm »

And we do have a progressive nitrous controller so it should help the gearbox to live.

Grin

They really do help alot,it will proberly be needed by you to stop the car just spinning the tyres

cheers richie

jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 17:36:24 pm »

We'll see, gearbox is very strong.
Mike Lawless

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 00:49:33 am »

The holding power of the Kennedy stuff seems to be pretty inconsistent lately, so it's hard to say if it will hold or not. We replaced a Stage 1 purchased in 2006 that we ran with a 4 puck and it held. In fact it yanked the front wheels pretty high and yanked 'em again in second on a consistent basis. This is about 250HP in a 1900lb car.

I replaced the PP and disc in mid March with a new Stage 1 and 4 puck, and it slipped so bad the car barely moved. We replaced that with a stage 2, and even that was soft until it bedded in.

Kinda bad that one can't count on consistency from one batch to the next

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 01:02:03 am »

The holding power of the Kennedy stuff seems to be pretty inconsistent lately, so it's hard to say if it will hold or not. We replaced a Stage 1 purchased in 2006 that we ran with a 4 puck and it held. In fact it yanked the front wheels pretty high and yanked 'em again in second on a consistent basis. This is about 250HP in a 1900lb car.

I replaced the PP and disc in mid March with a new Stage 1 and 4 puck, and it slipped so bad the car barely moved. We replaced that with a stage 2, and even that was soft until it bedded in.

Would be curious to know if the materials that the "shoes" of those two clutches were made of different materials. My understanding is that Kennedy changed to a different material in recent years (ductile iron versus cast, if I recall correctly), and the older shoes are better and less prone to cupping.

Bruce

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 04:11:34 am »

One thing you should check is the disc surface depth from the ledge where the PP bolts to.  VW's spec is 21.0mm.  Every shop that grinds a flywheel does it wrong, causing this dimension to gradually increase.  As the distance increases, holding power drops off.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:15 am »

I use a KEP stage 1 with a Centerforce disk, which replaced a Black Magic disc the car was raced with.
With a long clutch arm, the clutch is light and easy to modulate. So far it's held the motor back, but
if I raced again I'd change to a KEP stage 2. To me a little slip is a good thing. A little break...not so good.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=601
Mike Lawless

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 15:06:16 pm »

Would be curious to know if the materials that the "shoes" of those two clutches were made of different materials. My understanding is that Kennedy changed to a different material in recent years (ductile iron versus cast, if I recall correctly), and the older shoes are better and less prone to cupping.

I don't know Eric. The new Stage 1 acted as if I lubed it up with super slippery grease. Way worse than a little slip on the launch and a little slip on the change. The motor went up against the limiter and stayed there. It ain't my first rodeo with clutches. It's a sucky situation for VWs right now. I've been looking into some custom Tilton stuff that can be adapted, and not just the tilton discs. They have a few pressure plates in various diameters that could be adapted to a VW flywheel with minimal effort

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: