The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:58:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  41 YEARS AGO TODAY
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 41 YEARS AGO TODAY  (Read 7317 times)
johnl

« on: August 22, 2012, 19:24:27 pm »

This photo has been posted prior but in going through some of my photos today I figured out that this one was taken 41 years ago today (08/22/71)  Christie and I were on our Honeymoon and stopped in Stockton, CA. to visit with her grandparents and aunt, both in the photo.

The skinny kid with hair is yours truly and the 1970 Vert is Reggie the Ragtop which was the name that Christie assigned to it shortly after it came home from the dealer.  Many good times and memories with that car and also with that gal, she is the best...   Wink Wink

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 19:34:15 pm »

A reply from Dave Greiner with my response back to him:

I remember driving in the back seat of the vert  to Steak n stein!

You think there are any Cheese Bread crumbs back there?  Damn, we'd better find that car !!

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 20:29:41 pm »

Cool old picture John!  Love nostalgic stuff like that.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 20:43:49 pm »

I'd like to go for a road trip in a nice 'vert like that.  Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 21:13:59 pm »

By this stage of Reggie had an S&S Header, Zenith 32NDIX carb, Bosch Blue Coil and Koni's on each corner.  That was it and it never failed to give enough power on the road and still had great gas mileage.  Sometimes I still think the "mild" basics like this are the best.

Once Butternut was back on the road Reggie became Christie's ride and ours when we took trips.  We ended up selling it to the Assistant DA of Corona Del Mar and purchased a 1973 Ford Grand Torino (Grand Toiletto as Ed Craig called it).  That turned out to be the biggest piece of CRAP we ever owned.

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 22:05:01 pm »

By this stage of Reggie had an S&S Header, Zenith 32NDIX carb, Bosch Blue Coil and Koni's on each corner.  That was it and it never failed to give enough power on the road and still had great gas mileage.  Sometimes I still think the "mild" basics like this are the best.

Was it a 1300 or 1500 engine?

johnl

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 22:08:36 pm »

1970 in the States was a 1600 Single Port non Dog House.

johnl

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 23:21:54 pm »

A correction to my original post.  The photo location was Modesto, CA not Stockton, CA as I stated.  My bride just informed me of this, but as I recall I didn't get much sleep the night prior to the photo.......    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 23:37:05 pm »

1970 in the States was a 1600 Single Port non Dog House.

Thanks  Wink

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:53 am »

...as I recall I didn't get much sleep the night prior to the photo.......    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Where's that photo?  Lips Sealed

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 02:13:02 am »

...as I recall I didn't get much sleep the night prior to the photo.......    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Well I'll tell you Son, that one is only in my memory and I think you know by now how that works.......   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:05:05 am »

Well I'll tell you Son, that one is only in my memory and I think you know by now how that works.......   Grin Grin Grin Grin
Everything was bigger and faster in those days... Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 14:18:59 pm »

Hey John,  you were as skinny as me in my shot with my white 67! :-).... How funny.  My shot was taken in 77'....

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
johnl

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 17:01:39 pm »

Hey John,  you were as skinny as me in my shot with my white 67! :-).... How funny.  My shot was taken in 77'....

Rick M

Rick, your photo and mine were taken prior to the "Fat God" finding us.  I consume far less food and eat healthier these days than I did back then but it doesn't seem to help much.

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 21:05:04 pm »

John....

I share the same frustration.  I eat less and keep more. I guess the genes shift priorities at our age.  :-)

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: