The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:31:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Street Eliminator Heads history?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Street Eliminator Heads history?  (Read 6635 times)
stoneloco808

« on: September 09, 2012, 07:07:59 am »

Compared to other forums, this forum seems to have a lot of old school VW air-cooled performance historians on a regular basis.  I tried searching the topic but never really got much info about it.

My questions, what is the history of the Street Eliminator cylinder heads?  Who first thought it up?   Who was the first to say, screw welding a VW head, and just start with a blank sheet of paper?  What company did the castings?  Over the years I have seen many versions from different companies, CB Performance, Bugpack, Performance Technology, and GME.  Who copied who?  Aside from todays version CBP has its logo embossed in the casting and the old Performance Technology heads have an extra 90* bend on the colling fins along the exhaust port.  How does one tell the difference between the CBP and Bugpack models from the mid 90's to now?  I know of the bad batches from CB Performance in the late 80's early 90's, as I was one of the unfortunate ones to have one of those marshmellow material and the valve seats just sunk in deeper and deeper in short amount of time, less than 2,000 miles.  I also read some batches made from GME had siimilar problems as well.  Aside from the uneven stem heights, are there any tell tell casting marks of the bad versions?
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:33:12 am »

I can't speak for the Street Eliminators but I'm looking at Bugpack's ad in the March '83 Hot VWs for the Super Flo heads and the ad is copyrighted 1983.

On the other hand, the Street Eliminator doesn't appear in any of the Claude's Buggies' ads in that issue.  Claude's sold only modified VW production heads at that point--at least that's what it advertised.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:46:48 am »

I tought that SE heads were from a fairly recent production, around early 2000?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:55:16 am »

I had Street Eliminators on my Fastback in 1988...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:31:17 am »

Back in '77 CB were advertising heads referred to as 'Super Eliminator Racing Heads', no pics only specs and the usually go faster blurb, but i believe these are stock heads that were modified.  Correct me if I am wrong.  These heads did not appear in the '76 catalog.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:44:08 pm by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:54:43 am »

Reminds me I've got an old pair I need to sell!

Were the Super Flo's done first, and the S/E's made later to fill the gap?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
hotrodsurplus

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 19:16:12 pm »

Back in '77 CB were advertising heads referred to as 'Super Eliminator Racing Heads', no pics only specs and the usually go faster blurb, but i believe these are stock heads that were modified.  Correct me if I am wrong.  These heads did not appear in the '76 catalog.

It must've been catalog only because I just looked at Claude's ads in every '77 HVWs and no mention of heads. Cranks and carbs, yes; however, no heads. I can't imagine that they were anything more than fluffed-and-buffed stock heads.

hotrodsurplus

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 19:17:05 pm »

Were the Super Flo's done first, and the S/E's made later to fill the gap?

Two different companies: Super Flo was Dee/Bugpack; Street Eliminator was Claude's.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 20:57:55 pm »

Back in '77 CB were advertising heads referred to as 'Super Eliminator Racing Heads', no pics only specs and the usually go faster blurb, but i believe these are stock heads that were modified.  Correct me if I am wrong.  These heads did not appear in the '76 catalog.

It must've been catalog only because I just looked at Claude's ads in every '77 HVWs and no mention of heads. Cranks and carbs, yes; however, no heads. I can't imagine that they were anything more than fluffed-and-buffed stock heads.

yeah its in their catalogs, the first one i found them in is dated 77 1/2 Smiley  Just looked in a 78 catalog, they are mentioned again but this time with pics.  These are reworked stock heads.  No new castings yet.

bugpack catalog from 1981 has no mention of super flo's.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 21:06:03 pm by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 21:09:15 pm »

I had Street Eliminators on my Fastback in 1988...

I was thinking that because they are sometimes called "eliminator 2000".
I have a set on a engine I hope to do something with one day.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:06:17 am by j-f » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: