The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 00:31:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Not leaking - can't get the slip joint loose to remove the j-tube!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Not leaking - can't get the slip joint loose to remove the j-tube!  (Read 4465 times)
Cheesepanzer

« on: September 21, 2012, 17:44:29 pm »

Seeing Brandon's note on his leaking Berg header prompted me to post.  I've got a Berg 1 3/4 header that I can't seem to get the #3 j-pipe loose.  The header is ceramic coated and I'm trying to save the finish and not damage the header.

Its on there tight!  I've used lots of spray lubricant like Liquid Wrench, and used heat/cold and twisting.  I didn't want to have to use some sort of exhaust clamp that you tighten bolts into the header tubing, and it pulls on the tubes, as I don't want to screw up the finish or damage it.

Any advice?

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
neil68

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 19:59:34 pm »

I have the same problem with my 1.75" ceramic-coated merged header.  What I do is take a short block of 2 x 4 wood (approximately 8" or 20 cm long) and angle it in to the #3 curve and hit gently with a hammer (on the wood block).  This starts the #3 pipe moving away from the exhaust studs after a few firm taps, but sometimes I have to really hit it hard!!

So far, the wood block has not damaged the ceramic coating at all, and I've probably done this at least ten times over the past five years.  I've changed camshafts several times, so I'm getting pretty good at removing the engine...

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 02:08:35 am »

I just did this yesterday to try to cure my exhaust leaks (to no avail).  I had to do what Neil suggested.  First I just tried a rubber mallet on the J tube but it would not break it loose.  Then I tried a piece of wood with the mallet to no avail.  Then I got s short piece of hardwood and took a metal hammer and hit it hard many times to break the seal and get it off.  It took quite a few hits but it came off and the wood did not dmg the ceramic coating.

Maybe I should do flanges-it would be a heck of a lot easier.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:18:08 am »

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

The header is no longer on the engine.  I was able to get the j-tube out far enough that I was able to "strong-arm" the header off the head.  I've carefully clamped the header and tried using a rubber mallet to remove the j-tube.  Your suggestions have given me an idea to craft a piece of wood to fit into the bend of the j-tube, and I'll see if that will get it loose.

If anyone else has any ideas or experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks!   Cool

63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 19:51:24 pm »

Maybe try heating it up a bit?
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:13:57 am »

Maybe try heating it up a bit?

Been there, done that.  Heat didn't do a thing.   Shocked

63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 15:55:23 pm »

Been there, done that.  Heat didn't do a thing.   Shocked

You didn't get it hot enough. I extract studs from 75-year-old engines that have sat in fields since the Truman administration. Trust me, heat does work. Soak everything in good oil for a few days and touch it with the flame wrench. Get a small rosebud tip or use a larger cutoff tip without the cutting oxygen.

Be brave. Get parts to dull cherry red. They'll come right apart.  Wink

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
neil68

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 18:56:07 pm »

Are you certain that the ceramic coating on the merged header will hold up after heating it up cherry red?  Just wondering...

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 18:58:56 pm »

That's what it's made for!  Wink
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
neil68

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 00:56:23 am »

That's what it's made for!  Wink
TxT

Cherry red though??

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:14 am »

Are you certain that the ceramic coating on the merged header will hold up after heating it up cherry red?  Just wondering...

Oh hells no it won't survive.  Grin

But I guess you could say the integrity of the finish is beyond the point. If the joint won't come apart then the header is junk anyway. It doesn't cost much to have a header re-coated.

If it comes to that I do feel for you though. It's a real bummer to have to willfully destroy something just to save something else. It's sort of like waking up the day after a party with an ugly girl laying on your arm. You know you have to chew it off to keep from waking her. 

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: