The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 02:25:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Scat Fan Shroud Whistle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Scat Fan Shroud Whistle  (Read 10355 times)
edcraig

« on: October 20, 2012, 21:30:45 pm »

I have a slight whistle coming from my Scat doghouse fan shroud that just bugs me.  I know many of the aftermarket shrouds have this issue, but was told that wasn't the case with the Scat version.  I've checked fan clearance.  No issues there.  I've replaced the fan with a Berg version.  No change.  I'm kinda stumped where else to look and hope that maybe someone else has found the source and the cure.  My next option will be to go back the a OE Doghouse.  (probably a new mexican version), but I really prefer the look of the Scat version if I can sort out the whistle issue.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

...Ed.
vdubduner

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:26:17 am »

are you sure its the shroud,new brushes in a gen. tend to do the same thing.
edcraig

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:39:21 am »

The Generator in OE new Bosch.  It's still possible, and worth checking.  Thanks!

...Ed.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:25:03 am »

Ed, the way to check if it's the gen. is take the belt off and start it for a min. and listen, if it stops, there ya go, if not, it's in the shroud. Never had that problem with my Scat shroud before.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 13:36:40 pm »

Ed, the way to check if it's the gen. is take the belt off and start it for a min. and listen, if it stops, there ya go, if not, it's in the shroud. Never had that problem with my Scat shroud before.

Ted

If you take the belt off, the fan doesn't turn. I bet if the shroud whistles, it's because of air going through it or something rubbing the fan.  Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dougy Dee

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 16:16:48 pm »

Somewhere I read the internal vanes are only tack welded to one side of the shroud...front/back.. I don't recall. It was recommended that the non welded side be siliconed to stop them moving around.
Fritter

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 16:30:53 pm »

Yes, in the past when I used a Scat type shroud, I siliconed all the gaps in the vanes ala Mark Herbert recommendation.  Gap = potential annoying whistle spot.

Also, grab the top of the shroud and push and pull it lightly frontwards and back, maybe something is rubbing and that will fix it. 

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 17:56:11 pm »

Ted

If you take the belt off, the fan doesn't turn. I bet if the shroud whistles, it's because of air going through it or something rubbing the fan.  Wink

Hahaha! Yup! Your right, had a long day Sat., brain was qt. low.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
edcraig

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 18:15:03 pm »

I had the same condition on a past car.  It had a brand x shroud so I switched back to OE German and the whistle went away.  I know many other guys who use the Scat shroud with no whistle so I was hoping to have the same.  The whistle is really faint compared to some I've heard, but its there.  Just hoping someone else had the same and found the cure.  I'll check the generator if at all possible to pin the sound there, but I'm guessing its the shroud.  The silicone idea is good.  I might try that too, or just give up and go to a OE Shroud.

Thanks!  ...Ed.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 18:17:53 pm »

A "Thing" shroud is cool!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 00:17:11 am »

Hahaha! Yup! Your right, had a long day Sat., brain was qt. low.

Ted

I think we've all been there, Ted!

Ed, could it have something to do with the shroud having the heater outlets? The 36 shroud wasn't really designed for them, so maybe it's just a weird by-product of the adaptation. Maybe temporarily plug them, and see if it changes.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 00:20:13 am »

Reach back there and see if there is something stuck in the fan. I sucked a receipt up once that made a noise like that.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
edcraig

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 03:42:28 am »

Yeah...I was thinking the heater ducts too.  The other cars I've heard using scat shrouds did not whistle, but there were all non heater duct.  I did some adjusting to the generator today but no better results.  I don't think there is a fix other than to replace the shroud with a OE version, so that's my plan.

Thanks again for the input.

....Ed.
j-dub

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 16:27:09 pm »

For what it is worth I have used Scat 36 style shrouds for years and never had the whistle until I went to a welded/balanced fan. Since that change I have not been able to escape the whistle.

Jeremy
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 17:56:23 pm »

I would tend to think the heater ducts would too big to cause a whistling sound...?.. I mean a larger opening would cause a "lower tone" in my opinion more like a "Hmmmm" ever try "whistling" with your more mouth open..?...LOL...would look funny..!...I think it would have to be a "Smaller" hole or opening...Have ya messed with "Belt tension"

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
edcraig

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 19:57:51 pm »

It's for sure the shroud and not the belt or generator.  The Heater ducts have like a ice cream scooper inside eah opening so I'm guessing that could be it.  Either way I give up and will use a factory shroud.  I'm sure it's probably better cooling anyway.
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 21:06:14 pm »

Ed, You may try running a smaller bottom pulley and that should eliminate your whistle...
edcraig

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 03:11:51 am »

It whistles at every rpm so pulley size won't help.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  Its just the nature of the beast, (aftermarket shrouds), I think.

...Ed.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 05:48:37 am »

No whistles here.  although my heap is so loud I couldn't hear it anyway

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 16:00:08 pm »

Ed, It whistles at every rpm?  Do you mean in the upper rpm region?  A smaller pulley will decrease the pressure zone within the shroud as it will slow the fan speed somewhat thereby lowering the pressure anomaly. Unless of course if this is happening at various rpms in the lower range then you have the dreaded P.O.S. syndrome....    Good Luck.
Jeff68

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 17:52:36 pm »

Ed, It whistles at every rpm?  Do you mean in the upper rpm region?  A smaller pulley will decrease the pressure zone within the shroud as it will slow the fan speed somewhat thereby lowering the pressure anomaly. Unless of course if this is happening at various rpms in the lower range then you have the dreaded P.O.S. syndrome....    Good Luck.
P.O.S. syndrome.....that's funny, but so true with many aftermarket parts.
edcraig

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 22:52:18 pm »

Yeah...that pretty much says it.
Its going to be too dificult to pinpoint the source.  Heater Ducts...loose vane...non welded vane...gap in vane...silicone required in vanes.  Non of this should be happening.  Plus what I've read about cooling just confirmed that I need to use a OE Shroud.  I know many guys use the aftermarket versions with good sucess, but for me, I've had a couple now and they've all been stinkers.

Ed
...Ed.
SCOTTP

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 21:30:11 pm »

Yeah...that pretty much says it.
Its going to be too dificult to pinpoint the source.  Heater Ducts...loose vane...non welded vane...gap in vane...silicone required in vanes.  Non of this should be happening.  Plus what I've read about cooling just confirmed that I need to use a OE Shroud.  I know many guys use the aftermarket versions with good sucess, but for me, I've had a couple now and they've all been stinkers.

Ed
...Ed.
Ed...both of my cars have the aftermarket shrouds....both whistle. One has a stock size pulley and one has a power pulley. One has a welded fan and the other does not. Niether have heater ducts. I found that if you turn up the radio...it goes away!

Der Kleiner Panzers III

'63 Ghia Coupe

140" 2332cc powered Frameworks Dragster

'63 Notchback in the works
edcraig

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 03:05:27 am »

Yeah...I've been using the noise canceling knob, (radio volume), for the past couple of years.  It actually works pretty well!  :-)  Honestly, I really like the exhaust sound of a vw, and even more so the sound of 42 webers.  Hate to have it interrupted with some goofy whistle sound.  Its gotta go!

...Ed
edcraig

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 01:03:58 am »

Well the new shroud did the trick.  No more annoying whistle.  I wasn't sure if I'd like the look of the OE shroud, but now that it's in, I really do.  Really just glad that it sounds right to me now.

...Ed.
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 01:42:01 am »

Ed.. Congrats on your "New" stunning look.... now THATS what a nice engine bay should like and ...now quiet and OEM old school. If you miss the whistle just be secure in your manhood /LOL...    Engine bay looks 'Sweet".......
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 02:43:08 am »

Ed, looking real good, I like it!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
edcraig

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:57 am »

Thanks guys.  I sure like the way it sounds now.  100% improvement.  Here's a little better picture.

...Ed.

stealth67vw

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:42 am »

It looks 1000% better than a shitty Chinese shroud.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
johnl

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 04:09:22 am »

It looks 1000% better than a shitty Chinese shroud.
1000% ??  Now don't go to far as Ed will get a big head and he is already difficult enough to be around...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: