The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:55:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Deano oil filters, info needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Deano oil filters, info needed  (Read 4074 times)
Geoff P DVKK

« on: November 06, 2012, 17:56:51 pm »

Just the other day while at our local swap meet I spotted a couple of pinkish purple oil filters, on second glance I noticed the familiar "Deano" name on them. I've spotted another at a event in So Cal but was suprised to see these here at a small swap in Vancouver Canada (although there is a bunch of Deano stuff that turns up).

They appear to be early 70's filters that had the Mr Horsepower (Thrush Bird) decal on them and then painted over in the pinkish purple with two Deano decals applied.

I think these are the real deal as I bought the two he had and was told they came from an old racers stash of parts . What makes me think they are real as it looks like the Deano decals are put on without a lot of attention to detail meaning if you had a lot sitting in front of you after paint the decals are put on slightly off center/ crooked as they would be in a mass production (small volume I would guess)

Anyway, would like to hear your thoughts and maybe someone knows the deal.

I sent Dean a message and he's looking into it as well.
Geoff

Fritter

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 19:09:58 pm »

I don't think they ever repro'ed that particular sticker, so when I find parts with them on it, I tend to think they're the real deal.

I just found a chrome zenith single port intake with those stickers on it.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Geoff P DVKK

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 16:41:16 pm »

Thanks Fritter,
Anyone know the date this may be from?
Fritter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 17:10:56 pm »

I'd say 69 to 72 era. They got away from Deano logo and went to the DDS logo after that. Read Dean Kirsten's DDS hot vws articles for more timing info.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
deano

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 17:11:53 pm »

The stickers are certainly genuine Deano. 1969-1971.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
deano

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:29 am »

Okay I asked Paul Schley tonight about the filters. According to his memory, they never painted them purple or pink for production. Only the intake manifolds and breather boxes got painted. When he was there, Deano sold their full-flow kits with your basic Fram HP-1, right out of the box. And if they di,d or were going to paint those filters, they would have been dark purple (not pink), like the manifolds were... Hope this helps.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Geoff P DVKK

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 18:18:32 pm »

thanks for the info Deano. I found these here in Vancouver but have also found one at Sacramento?!  Strange they would turn up at two locations if they were never a sold item? oh we'll still a cool item, maybe an early DDS fake?
deano

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 22:01:17 pm »

If you like.... you can donate one of them to the Schley museum....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: