The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 22:56:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP 1 - merged headers or not?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DKP 1 - merged headers or not?  (Read 14770 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 20:55:23 pm »

When I first worked @ BH, circa 1990-1991, we carried two versions of what was referred to as a "merged" header, in 1-1/2" (from Phoenix). I can almost remember the part numbers... but it's been 20+ yr.
Anyway one was like the one that is more familiar to most today, longer collector where 4 pipes actually "merged" and used J-pipes that came with header, which were closer to case than heater boxes or replacement J pipes. Then we also carried what we used to call "street merge" which was 1-1/2" (I think) and the collector was more like a street extractor. I think your usual single muffler or duals would bolt to it, where the competition one required merged "duals". I seem to remember the street merge came with J Pipes.
Then we stocked 1-5/8 and 1-3/4" (big flange), in addition to the Bug, TII, TIII and 181 extractors. One entire container in the back lot was all Phoenix headers and mufflers. And all the different mufflers, single QP, dual QP and for a while the hide a ways that went UP into the RR fender (just chrome tip peeked out from under fender lip). For a while, the Turbo Trip mufflers for merged were the hot sellers and "the" muffler to run before we saw the wave of A1-type mufflers in Northern CA, circa 1996-97. Think I bought mine in '96 from Roger @ Heads Up. I actually liked the tone of the Turbo Trip mufflers on a good street car.
The good old days Cool
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 21:01:24 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Fritter

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14:22 am »

Funny story.  I called Tiger at A1 and asked him if he could build an old school merged header with the "short" collector.  He was cordial but at the end he said he would not build it because the modern merged headers are better.  I also have a feeling he thought I was slightly insane.  Ha. 

I ended up buying a Bugpack 1 5/8 merged and I'll used a single QP on it.  Cheesy

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: