The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:01:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW wants your stories/pictures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: VW wants your stories/pictures  (Read 19725 times)
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 21:31:15 pm »

Ten bucks says that people who buy brand new VWs don't give two sh*ts about old air-cooled historic cars.

Shocked

Of course there are a few who own old and new, but Ryan's bet is mostly accurate.
I'm guessing we are reversed. We look towards new VW's because of our love for the classics.
I don't think the other way around is as valid. People who buy new VW's won't automatically love VW classics

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Sepi

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 21:39:13 pm »

Could you sell more of those left ones with the right one? VW dealer of my hometown believes so and asked that 60 years old bug to be in their show room this winter. Old farts like me cannot buy those old ones anymore - so they take a new up! to get a bit similar spirit of fun. And no, they didn't promise any money for that showroom visit, but I got more space to my garage free...

up! belongs my wife and I have a 1952 - my -59 project is still waiting some work before it will surprise young honda/beemer/suby freaks ;-)
glenn

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 22:02:48 pm »

me three!!!!

Sorry I'm late to the party, been busy changing usernames, stationary, etc. etc.

Greg
pierside parts unlimited -  trademark pending
parts and accessories for volkswagens since 1982 in Huntington Beach, Calif.
www.piersideparts.net
I'm with Greg, he got screwed over, but this is nothing new. A local shop that was called "Bug Power Unlimited" was served back in the 70's and forced to change their name.

VW want the aircooled community when it serves them. When it doesn't they're busy going after people making clocks at of VW hub caps and serving them with papers.

VW screwed me on my 91 Passat when the timing belt broke (long story). I've owned Honda's ever since and been much happier.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 22:34:58 pm »

Keith, the next time your sitting around the campfire with VWoA singing “Kumbaya”, ask them why the went after just about every air-cooled parts supplier with their band of Lawyers… Still your friend buddy Grin
Cheesy

In fairness, VWUK does seem to be a very different animal to VWoA. My ex got a letter from 'Global Enterprises' in the USA (a bunch of no-win-no-fee ambulance chasers) on behalf of VWoA wanting to shut her down for selling pewter-look VW models. At the same time, VWUK was buying those same models off her to give away as gifts at product launches... Go figure.

Dom, you'll always be my buddy... Grin (A threat? Or a promise? Hahahahahahahaha!!!)

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
benlawrence

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 23:05:20 pm »

my mrs drives a new golf, i have a transporter for work, not that im loyal to the brand ive had plenty of other cars, in fact the most reliable was a civic (rice burner) type r but the transporter is one of the most reliable work horses out there 256k and still going strong, i find it sad that vwoa took the stance it has, in the long term will its reputation be damaged, what prcentage of aircooled owners are vwoa's target audience, but i guess the knock on effect will filter down. What bugs me most is when i put my order in last week to "Pierside Parts"  doesnt quite have the same ring to it, but vee dub/ pierside, the name may have changed but i still get great service ( thanks Ralph)
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 23:42:17 pm »

ben, you can call us whatever you like.   :-)

I stumble on the pierside everytime too.

Greg
leec

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 00:23:20 am »

my mrs drives a new golf, i have a transporter for work, not that im loyal to the brand ive had plenty of other cars, in fact the most reliable was a civic (rice burner) type r but the transporter is one of the most reliable work horses out there 256k and still going strong, i find it sad that vwoa took the stance it has, in the long term will its reputation be damaged, what prcentage of aircooled owners are vwoa's target audience, but i guess the knock on effect will filter down. What bugs me most is when i put my order in last week to "Pierside Parts"  doesnt quite have the same ring to it, but vee dub/ pierside, the name may have changed but i still get great service ( thanks Ralph)

I was thinking the same, whatever their name, the customer service I get is top notch. Another happy customer who was helped by Ralph

Lee
benlawrence

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 01:11:43 am »

Ralph is the man, he's very good to deal with  Grin
deano

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:48 am »

Keith, the next time your sitting around the campfire with VWoA singing “Kumbaya”, ask them why the went after just about every air-cooled parts supplier with their band of Lawyers… Still your friend buddy Grin
Cheesy

In fairness, VWUK does seem to be a very different animal to VWoA. My ex got a letter from 'Global Enterprises' in the USA (a bunch of no-win-no-fee ambulance chasers) on behalf of VWoA wanting to shut her down for selling pewter-look VW models. At the same time, VWUK was buying those same models off her to give away as gifts at product launches... Go figure.

Dom, you'll always be my buddy... Grin (A threat? Or a promise? Hahahahahahahaha!!!)

Keith, remember when the gang from VoA went after your book publisher for using the word "Beetle" in the title of a book without a license agreement... factory photos too?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 03:19:47 am »

Cheesy

Keith, remember when the gang from VoA went after your book publisher for using the word "Beetle" in the title of a book without a license agreement... factory photos too?

Cheesy Cheesy Grin
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 08:36:11 am »

Yeah, you're right. VW are complete bast....  Grin Grin Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
dragvw2180

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 18:11:09 pm »

I think we owe VW a big thanks . If they had helped us enthusiasts with sponsorship and high performance parts they would have controlled the direction we as a group would have grown. Thanks to their lack of support multiple industries grew out of that void and our hobby has continued all these years. The best thing that happened to us were the magazines that allowed manufacturers to connect with us and also to highlight the direction our sport grows. Without those mags we would have been gone as a hobby years ago. I bought my first VW ( a bus) 43 years ago, purchased a used new Beetle for my wife this year and she loves it.
    Mike McCarthy
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 18:45:03 pm »

Mike, you can thank them all you want, I'll pass on that one.
So, you are saying since they stayed out of the VW scene that allowed the aftermarket to expand and grow?
Had they been involved, they would have controlled it all?
Do you remember the era of american muscle cars? the factories were highly involved in the developement of the vehicles and racing and that market seems to have survived nicely in spite of their involvement.
you argument has no merit.

I appreciate and respect  trademark and copyright laws(logo mudflaps, hats, t shirts etc. etc.), but the US also has laws regarding fair usage, common law trademark rights etc. Unfortunately, I was unable to battle VWOA over this issue due to health issues and  the amount of $$ that would be spent on legal fees to win my case, which I would have won had I been given the chance to plead my defense in front of an impartial judge in a timely manner.

So, this war will continue and now is someone else's problem and will continue to be until VWOA is handed a defeat in court.

Hve a great day!!
Greg

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 22:49:38 pm »

In my country, the Czech Republic, VW doesn´t support us at all. AT ALL!. They like to use old bus for their promo meeting and stuff but it´s only to show their customers "look what cute car we produced".

I´m happy that I can be here on this forum and read your great stories. I think only aircooled enthusiast can appreciate them.

Jan
Pierside Parts Unlimited

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 05:35:31 am »

Jan, we have the same here. While VWOA is filing suit against me, a local dealership is buying parts from me to restore an old VW to display in the showroom.   irony of all ironies. 
LuftsickTero

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 19:47:41 pm »

Jan, we have the same here. While VWOA is filing suit against me, a local dealership is buying parts from me to restore an old VW to display in the showroom.   irony of all ironies.  

Is this down to one same person from VWOA since the 90's? Or have the people changed careers over the years but policy remained?

Not sure how much support does GM/Mopar/Ford brands have to enthusiasts? The pokemon-manufacturers don't even have the legacy/classic cars to support  Grin

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 20:20:12 pm »

I'm pleased to say that VW in the UK has a slightly different outlook. I, along with Ivan at VolksWorld, get invited to all the press launches of all new models. This year I was in Berlin, Rome and Sardinia, plus various regional UK launches. Press cars are always available whenever requested, they display at the VWorld Show, have a Beetle on the press service fleet of cars for any journalist to borrow, usually have an air-cooled car at most press launches, are more than helpful when it comes to any press access etc. If they get an enquiry about the historic side of VW, rather than turn people away, they put them on to me for information – TV, radio, mainstream press etc, all come my way through VW UK. Their representatives came to watch me drag race...  Cool

Clearly things are very different in the USA, but don't knock VW as a whole.

Sore subject about VOA they had their lawyer giving me hard time because I had logos on flyers for the show I was doing in Phoenix. They cared more about collecting money that worring about making VW look good and supporting the hobby. Typical blue collar management loosers.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: