The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 22:57:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Can someone help me identify these heads?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can someone help me identify these heads?  (Read 8504 times)
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« on: December 13, 2012, 00:17:53 am »

Picked these heads up recently and while cleaning them up I noticed a stamp with the word SMALL.  Anyone know who "small" is?  They are cut for 90.5/92's and they look like they want me to put them on my motor...............  Yes they do....
Any info would be great.  Thanks [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 00:20:11 am by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
bugnut68

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 00:31:15 am »

Don't know for certain, but back in the '80s there was an outfit with multiple locations called Small Car Accessories.  They had one in my old hometown of Eugene, Oregon, could be possible from them... other possibilities include a Washington state based shop called Small Car Performance, as well as the fairly well known SoCal shop that closed in the early '90s, Small Car Specialties.  Not helpful entirely, I realize, but just a few possibilities I would throw out there.
Worm
DKK

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:43:37 am »

Small car Specialties was my my first inclination.  It didnt seem quite right tho.  Oh well.  Maybe someone knows a guy named Small that just happened to work for Fumio Fukaya or something....ha!
They sure do look like some serious work was put into them.  And they are German.  Could very well be from the 80's.  I'll have Greg Brinton check them out for me soon.

bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:31:46 am »

I believe I read somewhere (an old '80s Hot VWs ad, I think) that Clyde Berg worked for SCS at one time... that might be one resource, as well.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 04:48:48 am »

Yer killin me Smalls!!!

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:35:14 am »

Whats with the slit down the middle?? Fred @ Performance Tech. might know, he's at his shop on Saturday's from 8-12 noon. Maybe even Rodger Crawford.
Nice port though.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 15:23:54 pm »

Decent looking heads.  I would clean them up, run the valve seats and use them. Someone did some nice work. Not sure about the LASH CAPS though. Have not seen that configuration before.

RM

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 16:50:07 pm »

Is it me, or are the valve guides really big? Looks like somebody stuck a .50 cal down there!

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 17:35:07 pm »

Guy Bryant, SP? Worked for Small Car Specialties, he did lot's of heads for them, in the day.
dragvw2180

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 17:38:38 pm »

If my old brain is working correctly my HB 3s from Small Car Specialties had SCS stamped into them , this was around 1986 . Mike McCarthy
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 19:29:57 pm »

Hey worm, My heads say BIG !! LOL.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Worm
DKK

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 19:53:28 pm »

Compensating for something Danny?  Ha. Thanks Guys for your interest. No big deal. I hope to get on my motor if they are usable. Should be well see

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 22:15:06 pm »

"WOW"..That slit is interesting..!... Shocked

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Worm
DKK

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 22:34:58 pm »

I know right?  Maybe they thought it would add cooling?  Or maybe they decided to saw the damn things in half and trash em then decided against it dunno.  I hope it won't affect anything. When I bought em I thought it was a line drawn on them. When I opened the box there was a definate wtf moment. I did not pay much for them (160 for both). If I can get em to work that will be a deal yes?

65bug

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:39 am »

I have NEVER seen that before. Maybe something to do with letting them cool better since they have been welded?HuhHuh? That's pretty scary..........
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 10:25:26 am »

Maybe it's a relief cut to help insure a better seal the cylinder and head ...??..kinda a flex thing...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Nostalgiavw67

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 11:36:38 am »

If my old brain is working correctly my HB 3s from Small Car Specialties had SCS stamped into them , this was around 1986 . Mike McCarthy

I've the same marking on the heads actually on Small Wonder: SCS
Hope this can help ;-)
stretch

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »

Why are the lash caps split as well?
richie

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 15:35:44 pm »

From what I remember they are the valve keeper/lock and lash cap all in one so have to be split to fit over the valve stem grooves, not taken any part like that for a few years now though

Theres no way i would run those heads like that,getting it to seal on the intake with that cut in it would be a absolute bitch, and I would think it would want to continue cracking along that line now

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Metalflakedave

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 15:48:41 pm »

Theres no way i would run those heads like that,getting it to seal on the intake with that cut in it would be a absolute bitch, and I would think it would want to continue cracking along that line now

cheers richie

You're right - hard enough to get big ports to seal without, in some cases. I'd be worried too.
Worm
DKK

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 15:51:19 pm »

Awesome..... Undecided Undecided

Metalflakedave

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 15:53:25 pm »

Wouldn't it be possible to weld up the slit on the manifold gasket face then freshen up the ports as part of recommissioning the heads?
stretch

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 16:29:09 pm »

From what I remember they are the valve keeper/lock and lash cap all in one so have to be split to fit over the valve stem grooves, not taken any part like that for a few years now though

cheers richie

Thanks Richie, they look pretty cool to be honest.  No way of 'loosing' a lash cap with that system.  Well not unless something goes seriously wrong, and then a lash cap is the least of your worries.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 12:04:10 pm »

Worm...I would talk to Jeff Denham ...he would be able to help ya..!

stoneloco808

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 18:11:13 pm »

Yes, that cylinder head does look interesting.  That is the first time I ever seen anyone stamp anything on the valve cover gasket surface.  I usually see stampings in the rocker box area and on the small portion of the exhaust port.  Like mentioned I have seen "SCS" stampings from Small Car Specialties heads on the mentioned exhaust port portion.

Another thing I fould interesting, is I never seen that 344 head casting before, or what looks like a "344" casting number in the rocker box area.  Anyone have any info on this casting?
HERB

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 20:45:24 pm »

I've the same marking on the heads actually on Small Wonder: SCS
Hope this can help ;-)
  As long as you know those are not the original heads on Small Wonder.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: