The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 23:38:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350691 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  First EBI Casualty ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First EBI Casualty ?  (Read 8244 times)
Black Sheep

less is more

« on: June 28, 2007, 18:25:07 pm »

Bugger .
I worked my ass off to get my 49 ready to go to bug in , managed to get it all together up and running and legal .
Put a few miles on it around town to iron out any bugs and fixed a couple of things that came up . I left at 7am this morning to get the midday ferry from Dover got about 70 miles and then my weekend was over for my car .
I knew my 5 speed 901 was going to be the week link as I don't know whats in it , it came off a old autocross 1302 ,I found out through driving it that the diff is either welded or a spool ( very cool ) and that it has a straight cut 1st and 2nd , the rest of the gears are pretty close but drivable just , but it was a bit noisy when you came off the power .
Anyway I digress , it got a hell of a lot noisier and then bang judder shake wheels lock and stop rather quickly . Got it home and up in the air ,one busted CV and some very big lumps of metal stuck to the sump magnet on the box when i drained it .
 Will investigate further later as Ive got a lift to bug in now with some mate who are going tomorrow .
Ahh well maybe next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Undecided Huh Angry
 how`s every body else getting on ?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 20:44:06 pm by 49-rag » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 01:30:09 am »

too bad man! i would've loved to see your ride, your avater looks stunning!

i'm still working on my car. i think i've got an oil leak behind the pulley.
but i will definitely drive the 150 miles to EBI and hopefully i'll get there  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
54Kab

Steve Mortimer

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 13:39:50 pm »

....also had to turn back  Undecided ..left home at 4am in heavy rain, but wipers stopped working after 30 miles... got back home and now found the battery to be completely drained.. -various electrical problems..

Am deciding whether to jump in the RS2 and go later... not quite the same tho'...

Steve

---------------------------------------------------------

'Super Sano Street cars' for me, thank you
bathing ape

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 15:13:49 pm »

get in the rs2 and go dude!!!!!!
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 19:05:55 pm »

Just got back .
Well done Kobus , what a show , spent most of it in the pits and running up and down that bloody hill . there was so many highlights and one off`s i don't know where to start , but Russel Ritchie deserves all the praise he`s got coming to him to get all those fantastic cars there and to have the balls to get them running the numbers , with the correct period drivers (ha ha).
I must say a big thank you to all those involved in bring this spectacular to its fruition , roll on the next one .

13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 19:24:56 pm »

Bugger .
I worked my ass off to get my 49 ready to go to bug in , managed to get it all together up and running and legal .
Put a few miles on it around town to iron out any bugs and fixed a couple of things that came up . I left at 7am this morning to get the midday ferry from Dover got about 70 miles and then my weekend was over for my car .
I knew my 5 speed 901 was going to be the week link as I don't know whats in it , it came off a old autocross 1302 ,I found out through driving it that the diff is either welded or a spool ( very cool ) and that it has a straight cut 1st and 2nd , the rest of the gears are pretty close but drivable just , but it was a bit noisy when you came off the power .
Anyway I digress , it got a hell of a lot noisier and then bang judder shake wheels lock and stop rather quickly . Got it home and up in the air ,one busted CV and some very big lumps of metal stuck to the sump magnet on the box when i drained it .
 Will investigate further later as Ive got a lift to bug in now with some mate who are going tomorrow .
Ahh well maybe next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Undecided Huh Angry
 how`s every body else getting on ?

(I worked my ass off to get my 49 ready to go to bug in)

That would be we worked are ass off to get your car ready for Bug In. Tongue

Hahaha your killing me.........
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 19:36:50 pm »

you know that go`s without saying mate , go and get some sleep as you must be knackered .
we will get all that mess sorted out soon as i get back . you  have proved that the set up in the golden bug is going to blow the doors off once we have the bugs ironed out .  not bad going minus a LM1 for a load of bodgers ehh.

13.03 @ 98mph
Russell

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 23:12:04 pm »

note you will need a reel driver for that golden bug..... the current ones U/S

Best Regards

Russell
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 23:21:15 pm »

No Russell the current one wish he was in the US but then agian may be not after this week end. The shows in the US are not as good as EBI and Das Drag Day. Good to see you may see you at DDD if not next year at Volksworld show.

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 19:33:51 pm »

See what you mean mate as the current driver could not figure out how the seat harness even worked  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 20:02:11 pm »

Figure out the seat harness that easy now holding a camera still may be hard for some people. Not for me here one i took of a split bug just before it broke down on it way to Bug In. Grin

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 20:37:01 pm »

Not that i was the only one who broke , at least i had the decency to get the AA out and tow me home . Unlike some other's i care to mention who had to push a loner all the way back home . Ahh zee german's are coming!!!!!! Cheesy Grin Cheesy Wink
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 20:40:11 pm by 49-rag » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 21:53:14 pm »

No he is pushing it because after a run down the 1/4 it to dam hot in the car. I think the turbo was burning the hair off the back of his head. If anyone say to me that the heating in a beetle in shit i think they are going to have to get in mine. Smiley

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 15:11:51 pm »

No he is pushing it because after a run down the 1/4 it to dam hot in the car. I think the turbo was burning the hair off the back of his head. If anyone say to me that the heating in a beetle in shit i think they are going to have to get in mine. Smiley

I thought hair dryers had hot AND cold settings  Tongue Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 15:29:04 pm »

LOL you back home Ron how steve.

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 20:32:54 pm »

Just read the pm , great to here the pair of you got back ok , all the best of luck this week , when steve's up to it will have to do something bbq ?
As for hair dryers having hot and cold setting's you had a look at Martin's hair lately (or lack of it) Im sure there was a bit more before the turbo went indoors  Grin Cheesy Tongue Roll Eyes

13.03 @ 98mph
Rocket Ron

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 11:35:52 am »

hi all

Steve is starting his treatment today for the brain tumour, so wish him luck.

Shouldn't be happing to someone of his age but he is coping better than me I think, but he's young and fit so he should have a good chance of fighting it.

I am planning a BBq later in the year late Aug early Sept with a fancy dress party later in the evening ( school disco theme I think ) so i will give you all a shout as I'm sure he would love to see you all again.   

Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 20:58:35 pm »

hi all

Steve is starting his treatment today for the brain tumour, so wish him luck.

Shouldn't be happing to someone of his age but he is coping better than me I think, but he's young and fit so he should have a good chance of fighting it.

I am planning a BBq later in the year late Aug early Sept with a fancy dress party later in the evening ( school disco theme I think ) so i will give you all a shout as I'm sure he would love to see you all again.   

Ron
Good to here from you buddy . Speaking as some one how had to go through that shit myself i would not wish it upon my worst enemy . The big C is not fair at all it always seems to get the nice guys , but if they can get to it early enough from my experience he's in with a fighting chance . GO STEVE .  The last bug Jam i attended with my old crew cab I had just been diagnosed with Hodgkinsons disease and remember how supportive Steve and the rest of the guys were  for me and Lynne , I just want to pass on some of that appreciation now Ron in the hope that this may help at this time .
As for the BBQ I meant that i would throw one you guys have got enough going on , send me a pm with address etc for well wishers cheers Glenn.

13.03 @ 98mph
Rocket Ron

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 13:10:36 pm »

Thanks Glenn

I've PM you my / steve's address

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »