The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:26:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  REUNION; THE AUTO HAUS BOYS GET TOGETHER
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: REUNION; THE AUTO HAUS BOYS GET TOGETHER  (Read 4278 times)
johnl

« on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:46 am »

Today I had a really good afternoon which started by meeting my longtime friend Paul Opperman, former Auto Haus employee and DGVA Club Member and our long lost pal, John Sandoval.  Over the years Paul and I who see each other often have always brought up the topic of “what is J. Sandoval up to these days”.

Well recently thanks to a communication from the Lounge via LIDS in the UK I was able to make contact with John Sandoval.  He is local, owns his own very successful business and is in great shape for a 55 year old father of two boys and grandfather on top of that.

We met at 11:30 at a local Mexican place frequented by both Paul and John S.  We were all surprised that they had never bumped into each other before.

After a hearty lunch we spent the next 4.5 hours discussing old times and all of the AH people that went along with them.  Of course Lynn & Ron Rosevear were some of the main discussion as John had no idea Lynn had passed.  I brought him up to date on both and their wives and kids from what I know.

Then it was on to all of the employees that passed through those AH doors.  I guess some of you wish you were the fly on the wall..  What I can tell you is many names came up and we will have more to share in the future as we plan to get together often now that we've found each other.

John told us of his '57 yellow sedan when he arrived at AH and then later his Zenith Blue '67 sedan with BRMs.  He said at one time he had eight of them, sold three off to Jim (Round Man) Bangs who worked in the San Bernardino AH store and now lives in Sierra Vista, Arizona.  He kept the five until a Japanese guy walked in and offered him $800.  He thought he was doing well and had no idea of their value today.

I hope to have more to share with you all in the future on John, Paul and our times.  We all agree that those were some of the best and most fun days of our lives.

One last note is that when I arrive home from our meeting and checked my mail there was a letter from my old buddy, Ronnie Munoz, who I wrote about at this link:  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,19706.0.html

Ronnie is doing well and I hope to see him over the Christmas Holidays.  Why can't all days be as good as this one has been???   

PS:  Photo attached Lto R, Johnl, John Sandoval, Paul Opperman

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:25 am »

This is great John, glad it worked out with you guy's getting together, John looks good, good to see him, by your photo. Any interest in VW's, again? Would be good to see him if he attended a cruz night or Ruby's, or both. Keep us posted on any updates.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
johnl

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:02:27 am »

This is great John, glad it worked out with you guy's getting together, John looks good, good to see him, by your photo. Any interest in VW's, again? Would be good to see him if he attended a cruz night or Ruby's, or both. Keep us posted on any updates.

Ted

Ted,  John is so involved with his business and he has a 30 year old son who lives with him that has Down Syndrome I don't think he has time for much of anything else.  I didn't mention these events to him but I'm in contact now and at the right time I'll bring up the topic.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 06:23:22 am »

I talked to Jim Bangs ( nick name buffallo ) a few years ago and he lives in Sierra Vista Arizona. I originally bought his 51 split window which was owned by Shaky Jake Babbitt back in the days.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:29:07 am »

Ted

Ted,  John is so involved with his business and he has a 30 year old son who lives with him that has Down Syndrome I don't think he has time for much of anything else.  I didn't mention these events to him but I'm in contact now and at the right time I'll bring up the topic.
That's very unstandable John, family and work comes first. When the time is right.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
johnl

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 17:00:49 pm »

I talked to Jim Bangs ( nick name buffalo ) a few years ago and he lives in Sierra Vista Arizona. I originally bought his 51 split window which was owned by Shaky Jake Babbitt back in the days.

Frenchy

"Buffalo", never heard that one before.  Back in the day when Jim was very heavy and quite "round" he acquired the "Round Man" title.  The last time I saw him which has been several years ago he was thin.  Talked with him probably a year or so ago and he is now into early '40's-'50's American iron, but I heard not to long ago he was getting back into the VW scene.

johnl

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:58 am »

I just received an e-mail from John Sandoval with this photo of his oldest son Justin on John's last birthday.  He is a good looking guy and has a great and caring dad.  I didn't check with him to share this but I'm sure he doesn't mind and is quite proud of Justin.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: