The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:56:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350794 Posts in 28593 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  130 teeth flywheel on early 6v gearbox?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 130 teeth flywheel on early 6v gearbox?  (Read 2538 times)
JIMP

« on: January 05, 2013, 14:18:08 pm »

Hello

just a quick and easy question for the more experienced ones, a friend of mine has a 6v car with the original trans -he told me that is a "small" window car, so probably an oval- and he wants to get in a late model 12v 130 teeth flywheel 1,2 engine, do we have any problem doing this? First of all the late flywheel has the same diameter or other than the 6v? or maybe any change to the depth of the flywheel? Please tell me what you know for sure so as not to waste time, to gather first the parts and then make the changes, cheers and thanks

Friendly

Dimitrios
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 14:44:56 pm »

Hi Dimitrios, there's just a bit of clearancing of the bell housing

and change the starer bush

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bush-12-volt-starter-into-6-volt-gear-box-thick-113301155126_act_shop.product_pID_119064_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 16:05:00 pm »

The differences are that the 12v flywheel has 130 teeth and a 200mm clutch compared to 109 teeth and 180mm clutch for the 6v.

As Ben pointed out you'll have to clearance the case for the larger flywheel.

The other issue you'll run into is the starter. You can go two ways with that. You can get a different adapter bushing that allows you to run the regular 12v SR15x starter or my preferred method was to use a SR17x self supporting starter that does away with the bushing in the transaxle case.

Another option would be to get a 200mm flywheel with 109 teeth. This way you can use the 6v starter. If you convert the car to 12v you can just use a 12v solenoid on the 6v starter.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 16:07:27 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 16:11:47 pm »

The differences are that the 12v flywheel has 130 teeth and a 200mm clutch compared to 109 teeth and 180mm clutch for the 6v.

As Ben pointed out you'll have to clearance the case for the larger flywheel.

The other issue you'll run into is the starter. You can go two ways with that. You can get a different adapter bushing that allows you to run the regular 12v SR15x starter or my preferred method was to use a SR17x self supporting starter that does away with the bushing in the transaxle case.

Another option would be to get a 200mm flywheel with 109 teeth. This way you can use the 6v starter. If you convert the car to 12v you can just use a 12v solenoid on the 6v starter.

I've run a 200mm flywheel with 109 teeth on our '63 sedan which was converted to 12 volts over 31 years ago with ZERO problems.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
richie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 16:51:29 pm »

2 things,is he converting the car to 12v? and if it is stock oval does it still have the split case gearbox? I am not so sure how easy it is on that style box as I have never had to convert one.
Just make sure to use the correct clutch cover to release bearing combination as well

cheers richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
JIMP

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 21:02:16 pm »

O.K. perfect so far, fortunately the box wasn't a split one, job done already, clearanced done, bush changed for the 12v starter, engine + box coupled together and fired, now ready to go on car, thanks a lot for your inputs
Some pics of the clearancing

Friendly

Dimitrios
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: