The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:43:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  CSP European Bug In #1 Been There, Done That! Up Next....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: CSP European Bug In #1 Been There, Done That! Up Next....  (Read 13649 times)
Kobus

See you at the NEXT EUROPEAN BUGIN!!! Summer 2011!

« on: July 05, 2007, 00:04:04 am »

Hey all, thanks for being there, i have been running between Brussels and Chimay it's not over yet, got a few more trips still to go...

the show for me was hectic and one big rush, loads of wonderfull moments, and a few very stressy times... anyways, i am soooooo looking forward to next years show, where  i am quite sure we will have filtered out most problems.

-gravelpaths in camping, swapmeet and trader area to make it easy to walk in case of rain
-way way more toilets
-catering (tough one, as this is a track contract and these guys decided other events this weekend were more important, rock werchter/assen TT, so they were lacking personel and booths)
-camping access thru the dragracing pits will be closed off
-show and shine hermeticaly closed untill setup time
-tech inspection for racers in the pits area not on top of the hill.
-tech and timingcrews that know what they should do and who show up with a properly functioning system
-etc
-etc

i think we know where we need to improve, it's wonderfull reading all these great comments, almost all who went to the show went home with the feeling this was the best show ever, well, i think we can top this next year  Grin  hope i'm right and hope i'll get some more stressfree time to enjoy it!

so see you next year for the second edition, and here i want to thank all those who have helped to promote and set up the show!!!

and if you need more quartermile action... up next is SCC and after that Das Drag Day #5 !!!!

Keep the Thru Cal-Look Alive!!!!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:22:48 am »

Kobus, can i thank you for what, to me, was quite simply one of the most memorable events I have ever been to. The atmosphere was great, the people were great, the cars were great and even the weather turned out great in the end (despite it being Belgium...  Grin). I have not had such a fantastic time in years and it has gone a long way to rekindling my enthusiasm for the scene. What you and your crew achieved was truly memorable and I have yet to find anyone who didn't have a ball. Yes there were a few areas which need tightening up (you've mentioned most of them already) but I've never been to a new event at a new venue which didn't need a few tweeks to make perfect.

Keep up the good work and I'll see you at EBI next year – with or without a car!

Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 12:03:11 pm »

I for one would like to say a big big thank you.

THANK YOU KOBUS          THANK YOU KOBUS         THANK YOU KOBUS [/size]
Its the best event I've been to since my first bug jam back in '88. The whole event was laid back and had a great vibe. Cant wait for next year.

Ps Being a brit I had my wellies in the car so the mud didn't bother me.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:05:12 pm by rocket ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
ESH

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 13:21:29 pm »

We need a tea shop in the collection area at the top of the track, maybe some cakes too, other than that it was just about perfect. Smiley

Hope to see you at DAS Drag Day 5!   Cool
Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 14:07:30 pm »

Kobus

You know what i think and words cannot do a reply justice, however Very Very Well done and Ill be there next year bigger, better and maybe faster.

Again Thank you.

One other great point that keith made, its true i think this event can rekindle peoples enthusiasm when they are feeling down or bored with the scene.

Thanks Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 14:12:18 pm »

… and Ill be there next year bigger, and maybe fatter.
Time for that diet, then!  Grin

Jøran Larssen

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 14:16:23 pm »

Got a secret diet-race-recipe Keith? Please share! Need to get below the 12s again ;-)

SCC 2010: 11.103 @ 192.00 km/h
Flat-Sixx

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 15:45:01 pm »

Kobus, you are a legend. You and your team did an amazing job and the whole weekend was out of this world!  I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the whole thing - well done guys,  see you next year - guaranteed! 

P.S.  Love to the Monks!!  Keep on brewin'   xx

Outlaw Flat Four Pit Crew
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 20:11:50 pm »

I stopped going to shows about 8 years ago, then I started talking cars with my mates again and went to a few shows over the last couple of years.  I have to say this was the best show I have been too in over 10yrs.  i have been to all the UK shows over the years (meeting Ron in 96 at Avonpark), and the mix of racing and show and shine was perfect at bug-in.  My girlfriend said i was so excited, more so than when I go anywhere on holiday.

i personally cannot wait until next year, it will be awesome.  The weather was a gift from heaven.  I spent 9 hours driving from London to Belgium in the Rain on Friday and feared the worst, but on Saturday the sun came out and shone down on Chimay.

One thing that would be good for next year is if it would be possible to have a return lane for the racing.  it got a bit manic sometimes trying to get all the racers back to the pits with other cars waiting in the wings.

I would also like to say a big thank you to Empicollector for arranging our accommodation.  Cheers Smiley

When is the next show, I need to put it in the diary.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 23:56:51 pm »

(meeting Ron in 96 at Avonpark)
That was Ron Townsend, not Ron Fleming...   Wink

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 00:00:09 am »

And the Holley that is on my car now is the one that came of Ron Townsend car when it rolled at the show.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 06:41:57 am »

God i am getting old, i can't remember anything.

This was the same meet that the DKP cars were brought over, bill S and I think Dave R.

I remember it was dyno Don, not Ron.  What an idiiot, I'll get my coat.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:55:47 am by lids_2001 » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:29:03 am »

Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

christophe

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 19:48:51 pm »

Thanks kobus.
What can I say more than what is already said!!!!
That's was the meeting I was waiting for!!!
Can't wait my car is ready to be there with it!!!Maybe EBI 3 Roll Eyes
ngobet

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 20:13:05 pm »

Thanks for the organisation. It was the best meeting of my life.

Ok, I'm not old enough to say that, but we really enjoyed each and every hour of the 2 days.

More swiss cars will be there next year! even if you don't make any progress with the food Grin
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 22:24:56 pm »

I want to thank the EBI team for this great weekend.
See ya next year for sure.

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
48ida

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 00:00:26 am »

Kobus/Freddie. I could not fault the entire weekend. We arrived on Thursday, saw the whole thing grow as more and more people and cars arrived. I tip my hat to you guys (and all your crew), you all deserve a medal.

Ian
 Cool

I DRIVE MY VOLKSWAGEN WAY TO FAST TO WORRY ABOUT MY CHOLESTEROL LEVEL
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 17:59:56 pm »

kobus, mike, fastfreddy, russel, flatlinelow ridder,outlaw ... more all I 've forget congratulation for the best vw event of mi life I can't wait to be there next year  Grin
kobus thanks again my friend
Pump Gas

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 20:45:56 pm »

Kobus - Fred - Mike,

Mike and I had the best time.  We are back in the US, telling everyone that they need to go next year!  Thank you so very much for all the hospitality that you showed to us, we were so overwhelmed by your kindness!  Thanks to Charlie also!

We met so many wonderful people (you all rock), and I was so happy to see Mike be able to run the SSB in memory of Mark.  That to him, was a awesome and emotional moment!

Thank you to everyone that was there - you made our first trip to Europe an awesome expierience, one we will never forget  We will be back!

Take Care,

Susy & Mike Herbert

Real Street Cars Run On Pump Gas!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 22:23:32 pm »

Mike, Suzy, you two were great! So good to see you guys again. Next time, I guess I'd better come over there to see you! Glad you had a good time. We all sure did!!!! Grin Grin Grin

ESH

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:37:17 am »

Kobus - Fred - Mike,

Mike and I had the best time.  We are back in the US, telling everyone that they need to go next year!  Thank you so very much for all the hospitality that you showed to us, we were so overwhelmed by your kindness!  Thanks to Charlie also!

We met so many wonderful people (you all rock), and I was so happy to see Mike be able to run the SSB in memory of Mark.  That to him, was a awesome and emotional moment!

Thank you to everyone that was there - you made our first trip to Europe an awesome expierience, one we will never forget  We will be back!

Take Care,

Susy & Mike Herbert

It was good to meet you, it'd been pretty hectic and I was thinking I might have missed you. Pleased you'd had such a great trip and enjoyed the show. Hopefully see you over there sometime soon and maybe back here for the next Bug-In?

Smiley

Pump Gas

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 13:05:31 pm »

Matt.

It was really great meeting you also.  We really did have the best time ever, and look forward to making it to Europe again for another.  Alot of wonderful people, and alot of good looking cars!  We were overwhelmed by everyone's kindness, and all the people that came up to us, and talked about Mark.  We miss him everyday, but I know he was warching his little brother, Mike, drive the SSB down the track.

Take Care & Hope to see you again someime soon!

Susy Herbert

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 21:09:12 pm »

welcome to the lounge mike and susy
hope to see you next year at chimay raceway for EBI 2
cheers

flatfire

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:36 am »

Thanks Kobus .I have been wandering about in VW limbo for a few years trying to rekindle what I loved about VWs in the past.
Now I have found the answer EBI. Its as simple as that.

Someone mentioned a return road I thought that until we had to wait at the other end with other like minded VW nuts taking about bugs
for half an hour. I sat with Larry McKenzie and taked about the old pro stocker he was restoring.

Russell made my weekend with his generosity.

Happy days are here again. Grin Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42:51 am »

to quote my chat with Larry at the top end :

" ah it a piece of history I didn't wanna wreak it " After racing the Race shop Ghia - What a legend that guy is  Grin Grin Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
ESH

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 19:40:34 pm »

...We really did have the best time ever, and look forward to making it to Europe again...

Next time you're over you could maybe oversee some Powder Puff racing. Smiley

Pump Gas

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 15:43:46 pm »

Matt,

Sounds good to me.  Last Drag Day, we got 12 ladies to race in the PowderPuff class, and that class had the best pay out of the day - thanks to everyone who helped sponser it.  It was alot of fun, and we will do it again in October! I believe we might have more ladies this next time that want to race!

Susy Herbert

ESH

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 22:05:58 pm »

Matt,

Sounds good to me.  Last Drag Day, we got 12 ladies to race in the PowderPuff class, and that class had the best pay out of the day - thanks to everyone who helped sponser it.  It was alot of fun, and we will do it again in October! I believe we might have more ladies this next time that want to race!

Susy Herbert

That's cool, a class here with 12 would be great, we should try to get the ball rolling for the Euro mob. If you want to show us how it's done I'm sure we can find an NA or turbo car for you to run depending on your preference.
Pump Gas

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 01:58:29 am »

Matt,

It is just great to see the ladies out there (who support their men) get out and race.  Even if they have to race thier mans car - it is just alot of fun to see the men support the ladies!  I know here in the US - that it is mostly (99.9%) of the women who support the men.  Mike loves when I race, and he is my BIG SUPPORT SYSTEM!  I have been into VW's since 1977 (holy ____ - that is 30 years), and Candy Larsen (JCL Race Cars) and I got the Powder Puff going back in the 80"s.  Boy -  I am really aging myself now!  I have met so many awesome people, and was apart of DVB for some years, and I have always had great expierences with all the VW crowd.  I have made alot of great friends thru it all - and see  - we have made a new friend in you!

Take Care,
Susy Herbert

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:02:26 am by Pump Gas » Logged

flatfire

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 10:06:55 am »

...We really did have the best time ever, and look forward to making it to Europe again...

Next time you're over you could maybe oversee some Powder Puff racing. Smiley

Funny you mentioned this Matt I contacted a UK promoter to see if we could get something similar going in the UK.
I was going to donate a prize. It was ignored perhaps for not being politcally correct.

I think its a great idea as usually behind a race car is a long suffering girl friend/wife.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: