The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:35:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Wheels and finish's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wheels and finish's  (Read 4173 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« on: April 04, 2013, 23:08:34 pm »

After chat'n with mr. Ratto , I though I'd start this thread. Lets see your wheels and finish's for a kind of reference for when we all restore some wheels. What paint/colors, primer, polishing , lugs , etc..Any tricks that might help everybody out. Here is a shot of some flat-4 wheels I did for my 67. First I machine'd off any emblem, cast into wheel. Had my helper Jorge file down sharp corner's on spokes from original machine work. Then started with 200-600 grit to sand and prep for polish'r. Then masked and prime'd with DTM primer and sprayed very dry to get a rough cast look and then painted semi gloss black useing cheep lacquer thinner instead of reducer to hopefully help get paint to blush . To further the flattening  effort in paint.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 23:14:03 pm by danny gabbard » Logged

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 23:12:30 pm »

Something I made for when I sent my 5 spokes out to get polished. I did not want polisher to lean into spokes that are a cast finish and mess the finish up. It screw onto the stock cap mounting screw holes

Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 23:46:32 pm »

After chat'n with mr. Ratto , I though I'd start this thread. Lets see your wheels and finish's for a kind of reference for when we all restore some wheels. What paint/colors, primer, polishing , lugs , etc..Any tricks that might help everybody out. Here is a shot of some flat-4 wheels I did for my 67. First I machine'd off any emblem, cast into wheel. Had my helper Jorge file down sharp corner's on spokes from original machine work. Then started with 200-600 grit to sand and prep for polish'r. Then masked and prime'd with DTM primer and sprayed very dry to get a rough cast look and then painted semi gloss black useing cheep lacquer thinner instead of reducer to hopefully help get paint to blush . To further the flattening  effort in paint.
thanks Danny, I'm looking to augment the changes going on with a different finish on my Flat 4's, this will be fun to follow.
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:22:35 am »

One trick we've used with weary Porsche wheels, is to use ordinary acidic drain cleaner (normal stuff to unblock sewer pipes) to remove anodizing from the wheel. It's way easier and faster than to remove the anodizing mechanically. Of course the wheel looks hideous after, but it still cuts a great amount of elbow grease.
ibg

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48:03 am »

Usually drain cleaner is alkaline and made mostly of caustic soda, and yes is will remove anodising quickly. There are similar oven cleaning products.
I prefer to get the anodising stripped at the platers, a bit gentler
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 13:14:03 pm »

I've used easy off oven cleaner to remove anodizing and if you watch it and be careful it will leave the part spotless. leave it on too long and you get the hideous effect.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 17:04:06 pm »

my empi were sandblasted too Danny , and i've added a mat clear coat on them , i like the way she looks on my car
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
, there's a contrast between my car and wheels , and after removing them due to some cracks on , i've done the same treatment on my torker wheels " (copy of american racing torq trust D 5x205) , and adding a satin clear coat on them too
 ,at the beginning , my idea was to have a magnesium finish , but those are aluminium , so they're weren't oxyded , and i like them on my car , but there isn't no contrast between my car and wheels
  they look the same , but last week i've painted them in dark grey to have a magnesium finish , and i like them , now next step will be put back the wheels on the car to see the result

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 17:10:08 pm »

Fabs, I like that grey "magnesium" color in the last photo, similar to what I am thinking for my Flat 4's
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 17:14:24 pm »

Fabs, I like that grey "magnesium" color in the last photo, similar to what I am thinking for my Flat 4's
Wink

the last thing i would like to do on my wheels would be an oxydation look like the real magnesium wheels , but i don't know how to do it Huh

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 17:20:14 pm »

A chemical I use to clean alum before welding, Works good for just cleaning wheels. I get it at my local welding supply store, Automotive paint stores carry something like it called aluma-prep
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 17:23:43 pm by danny gabbard » Logged

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 17:30:23 pm »

A set of 4-3/4 and 5-3/4 riviera's I restored and the same paint treatment I did to a set on my squareback I drove in highschool in about 1980-1

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 19:55:51 pm »

i've just painting my empi 5 to try some tricks to have an aspect to oxidize

what do think with the colorof wheels with the color of my car ?? more contrast then before

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 20:11:24 pm »

LOVING THIS THREAD  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: