The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:34:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  In dire straits, #4 fuel leak
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: In dire straits, #4 fuel leak  (Read 11507 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« on: April 07, 2013, 19:56:22 pm »

To all willing to drop in their 2 cents:

Due to circumstances I had to rebuild my engine again over the winter with all new bearings. The car is still suspended and I can't drive yet but I've just got round to firing her up again last week. And today after some tweaking, my problems remain!

The engine revs fine and all seems good. The engine ran before so there shouldn't be a reason that won't work. But, to cut to the chase, I have fuel dripping from under the #4 combustion chamber. When I rev the engine up I get a bit of splatter on the ground and on the header. There's also a small drop of fuel that came from the header and muffler gasket and some initial splatter from the exhaust. Soon enough I shut the engine off, cause this just isn't right and moreover potentially dangerous.

What I have checked so far is that the #4 plug, which is new, has a slightly black liquid electrode already.
The #4 chamber appears to be full. Yet, the engine doesn't appear to leak when it's shut off.
The IDAs are good, fuel pressure is a steady 3 psi and jetting is in the ballpark.
Also, the ignition appears to be working. The Magneto is at 28 degrees and the engine revs like a fierce barking dog.

I am in dire straits since one of my good friends is to use my '67 for his wedding in 19 days time.
Since he asked I put a lot of money into the car and I'd be heartbroken if I'd have to pull out!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 20:09:16 pm »

i would look at the carbs, seems to me one is spilling fuel. the fuel can't be burned completely and therefore goes in the header and the exhaust.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 20:17:45 pm »

Thanks Nicolas. I get what you mean but there's no fuel leaking from the carbs or intake as far as I can see. The fuel drip is only visible underneath the car.
It also seems it comes from the ribs of the head somewhere, so that's a bit more inward...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 20:44:17 pm »

Hard to shoot a sharp pic but what you see are the #4 pushrod tubes and the leak above it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 20:45:56 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 21:07:45 pm »

I know you said the #4 plug is new ... what is the gap? Remember, mags like small gaps, like say .018 to .020"!
Also, have you checked that there is good spark at the plug on #4? If there's fuel unburned and no leaks, no spark? or POOR spark ... ?
Let's get this thing FIXED, Diederick!

TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 21:19:44 pm »

Tom, I replaced all plugs with new BP7ES that I gapped at .018" and that solved the faulty ignition issue of last weekend.
Ignition seems good now listening to the engine. How should I best check whether I have good spark?
I can't imagine I have a combustion leak, but I suppose I could hook up a compression meter and quickly compare #4 and #2?!

Thanks again, Tom!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Type1/DVK

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 21:20:20 pm »

I've done some brainstorming about and to me it seems to be a leaking #4 intake on the ida or somewhat spilling/bleeding on that channel. After that when the combustion chamber is full of liquid/gasoline it will hydropress those liquids out of the chamber (around the barrel) and onto your tubes.. but that is just a brainstorm  Huh Roll Eyes

Compression numbers on that #4 are good? what about leaving the plug out and cranking the engine, if it spitting liquids you know your chamber is if somewhat full of gasoline. Plug gap also good?

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 22:30:20 pm »

Let us know what you find on the compression and/or spark tests, Diederick!

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 22:46:27 pm »

Swap the carbs from side to side. No need to hook up linkage, just fire it up and rev it a bit with your hands. If the problem moves from 4 to 1, you know the problem is in the carb. If it doesn't move, then you've at least eliminated one factor.

Float level too high?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 00:20:58 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 15:06:49 pm »

Had a similar problem caused by - well known problem for ida- fuel squirter (acc. pump) leaking fuel.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 17:07:00 pm »

Float level too high
Main jet loose (or the whole jet stack – happened to me on the rolling road, and wiped out the rings on one cylinder inside 20 minutes due to excess fuel)
Leaking accelerator pump
Poor head/barrel seal

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 17:08:39 pm »

Faulty needle/seat?

Swap the carbs, it's easy!

Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 19:49:04 pm »

Is your fuel line TEE anywhere near the fan opening on front of fan housing?
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 21:04:24 pm »

Thanks for the replies. The TEE is the Holley regulator underneath the deck lid spring.
I'll check the carburettor suggestions this Friday. But how do I find out if the accelerator pump is faulty?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 22:56:56 pm »

Whats your fuel presure ?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 23:21:14 pm »

turn fuel pump on (don't start car) and let it run 20-30 seconds, and leave it on. Get a mirror and look down #3/4 throats, see if you see fuel spilling over onto butterflies. If your fuel pressure is 3.0 it's not too high. You either have a defective float, a defective or loose needle valve or your float level is off. I just had a needle valve go haywire in my 1/2 carb and flooded engine over badly. Luckily I was in my garage.
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 23:56:20 pm »

I had an IDA float with a pinhole in it. It only held a few tablespoons of fuel but really caused mayhem.

1967, the only year that matters.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:35:06 am »

turn fuel pump on (don't start car) and let it run 20-30 seconds, and leave it on. Get a mirror and look down #3/4 throats, see if you see fuel spilling over onto butterflies. If your fuel pressure is 3.0 it's not too high. You either have a defective float, a defective or loose needle valve or your float level is off.

X2!!!

jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 11:56:25 am »

Thanks for the replies. The TEE is the Holley regulator underneath the deck lid spring.
I'll check the carburettor suggestions this Friday. But how do I find out if the accelerator pump is faulty?
In my case I just looked inside at the carb barrel while the engine was running and I could see the fuel dripping.
wolfswest

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 12:30:38 pm »

In my case I just looked inside at the carb barrel while the engine was running and I could see the fuel dripping.

X2: I also had this once, took the carb apart, cleaned and greased some parts and everything was A okay after firing up the engine again.

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Type1/DVK

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 23:48:11 pm »

any news?  Grin

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 14:09:49 pm »

I got to spend a little time on it today. Took the carbs apart and set the floats, which were way off, replaced and set the needle valves, checked the jet stacks.
Then, once I put everything back I turned the fuel pump on and all seemed well as far as the absence of fuel spillage. Fired up the engine and after a few seconds the leak started again.

Ran out of time, so that's it for today again...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 21:13:16 pm »

You need to close your butterflies more. This is normal (got is also a bit with a cold engine) the pulses of the engine make te butterflies vibrate what triggers the accel pump.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 00:15:35 am »

Disable the acc. pump and check again.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 20:37:35 pm »

Just when I thought I had it sorted. Now I'm really lost at it.

What I recently did is:
- Replace the floats, needle valves, gaskets and a few jets and set everything within factory weber specs.
- I replaced my Facet fuel pump with a self-regulating lower output rotary pump.

I finally had time to install everything today. And what I have now is an overflowing carburetor with the fuel pump on and engine off. Fuel is gushing from the jet screen in between the velocity stacks, pouring into the venturies through the pump jets and there's a pool of fuel underneath the #3-#4 side. It has always been the same IDA, new everything did not help. Now I don't even want to think what this is doing to the engine in terms of bore wash and my sump gaskets that have already started to leak oil.

I'm open to suggestions, please.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 21:17:40 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 21:48:32 pm »

You have swapped the carburetors side to side and the problem followed?

Try swapping the carb tops and see what happens. It's a process of elimination, dude Wink

Taylor

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 22:26:42 pm »

What needle and seat do you have?? 
gizago

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 22:53:05 pm »

Float bowl damaged or cracked and leaking into carb body/ Venturi?
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 22:57:42 pm »

run it with some 48 DRLA's, and then send the IDAs to someone to look at

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
peejke

Keep it simple...

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 23:03:11 pm »

NO sollution, but as far as the ignition part goes, dump the BP7ES plugs. They can't stand a rich mixture. Probably gone allready.

way to much old shit at home, ...
'57 single cab, 1776 powered
'71 baywindow westy , 1835 powered
'54 oval ragtop , texas brown , stock as hell
flandria sport moped collection, other old mopeds, BSA A65 cafe racer, yamaha SR500 dirt tracker
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: