The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:01:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Installed height / JPM small springs / type 4 valves /
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Installed height / JPM small springs / type 4 valves /  (Read 4348 times)
-Alex-

« on: April 08, 2013, 09:18:25 am »

I have a sort of problem, maybe. 

I am getting Thorsten Piepers billet heads, and they have fixed depth of valve pocket.

-Valves 117mm type 4

-JPM small springs an ti retainers

-Lift  15mm

-Udo's lightweight lifters

-Alu pushrods

Recommended installed height for springs is 41mm, and i have feeling that it will be 1-3mm more without shims with these heads.   

1mm shim is ok, but two 1mm or one 2mm shim?

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
Frallan

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »

With all that investment I would make a spring pocket "bucket" insert.
Make it the exact height you wish.
If the spring is not guided diametrically in the bottom, I would integrate that in to the insert.

Sounds good and exciting with those jems to heads! Good luck!

-Alex-

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 13:19:12 pm »

Hello,

The OD of the pocket is 36mm if i remeber correctly and ID 16,8mm.  JPM vw diameter springs are 32mm OD and 17mm ID.

Do you mean machined bucket insert, just dropping it to place? Steel or 6082 / 7075 aluminum?

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
Frallan

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:30:53 am »

Check this out.
Just as an example to visualize what I suggest..
A strong steel bucket that locates the spring with a light pressfit on OD. This prolonges life of your spring too.
From the measures you write, it seems like a good opportunity.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/Moroso-Valve-Spring-Cups/764349/10002/-1

dragvw2180

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 03:55:13 am »

You might want to look at some valve spring locators instead . I have used them in the past with good results.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/manley-valve-spring-cups-and-locators?page=2
Frallan

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »

You might want to look at some valve spring locators instead . I have used them in the past with good results.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/manley-valve-spring-cups-and-locators?page=2

Same thing and optimum is guiding on both outside and inside.
If I have to choose, I would choose outside and main spring guiding.

-Alex-

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:46 am »

I think the measurements are ok, i measurer from chamber floor to  valvesping pocket, 70mm on TP billet heads, and then transferred the measurements to cad model.

Just recently i got 48x38 117mm manley valves, jpm ti retainers etc, and measurements gave the installed valve height with these components 41,5mm, so i may need only one shim.  Valveguide boss is 16,8mm, spring id is 17,00-17,1mm

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:39 am »

I have a sort of problem, maybe. 

I am getting Thorsten Piepers billet heads, and they have fixed depth of valve pocket.

-Valves 117mm type 4

-JPM small springs an ti retainers

-Lift  15mm

-Udo's lightweight lifters

-Alu pushrods

Recommended installed height for springs is 41mm, and i have feeling that it will be 1-3mm more without shims with these heads.   

1mm shim is ok, but two 1mm or one 2mm shim?

What a strange mix of parts......

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
-Alex-

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 18:42:32 pm »

not really.. three of them are from JPM

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: