The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 22:04:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Scandinavian Cal-look Classic (the event)
| | |-+  Preparations for SCC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Preparations for SCC  (Read 19825 times)
SCC Event

« on: April 18, 2013, 13:09:15 pm »

In garages arond the country and continent, women and men are working hard to get their favourite air cooled vehicles ready for this years season. The ulimate goal is, of course, SCC 2013!
Vi have recieved rapports from more or less known garages, pernonalities and cars, and we will proudly present them here during the next weeks, for your pleasure and inspiration! Enjoy!

Mvh SCC Event - Bugarella

SCC 2013 - 9. - 11. august - Gardermoen International Raceway

NO GUTS
...no story

SCC Event på Facebook - SCC Event
SCC Event

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 13:11:07 pm »

113 days to go…
We got a message from good old, forever young Holmsen from Oslo. He’s getting ready to race against his favorite opponent again – Hemsedalsekspressen – on Gardermoen raceway in August! This is what he has to tell us about status quo:

“Hey folks. Easter is well over, and it’s time to concentrate on the summer tools again.
Kåre Kruttlapp has finished one out of two new engines for this season: The camper gets several horses less to work with, and we hope and believe the Losen engine will get some more. It has grown a little bit this year, 55ccm, to 2893ccm. With new cylinder heads, pistons, t1 lifters and a new camshaft, we’re hoping this year, as always, that we’ll get the carriage below 14 seconds. 14,36 was the best time last year. It was just good enough to beat the favorite opponent from “Mandagsklubben”. Grin I’m looking forward to our next meeting.

Greetings Holmsen”

Well, Holmsen, we’re looking forward to seeing YOU again! Keep up the good work, get the Losen sharpened, and give us a 13 on SCC 2013. Can’t wait…

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

NO GUTS
...no story

SCC Event

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 20:26:45 pm »

108 days to go…

We remember it. No doubt. He remembers it himself as well, when he smashed his T1 1957 straight into the rail in 170 km/h on SCC 2012. But the man climbed out of the car, shaken not stirred, and he will be back in August!

Trond Dahl from Sandnes, the co-founder of VWNorge and The Cal-look Lounge, has got a 2165ccm Turbo EFI engine in his oval window bug. His best time on Gardermoen in 2011 was 10.939. The goal for this year’s event, is to get the same car below 11 seconds again.

The man is not particularly easily frightened.

The front and right side of the car was well dented. He actually cracked seven poles in the double rail.
- I have been very motivated to get the car ready for spring, instead of leaving it, and making it an X-year project. I’ve had lots of help from a sheet metal worker I know, and he has done a great job stretching, straightening, welding and painting. Lars Rosenquist got me a correct ’57 donor front, hood and fender. I am SO ready to race again on SCC this year!

Last weekend he competed on Forus in Rogaland, and Dahl could have beaten them all, if he hadn’t failed shifting in his last race. Irritating, but he can handle it.
- I really had a good time!
We’re sure you did! And we really want to see you get below 11 seconds on Gardermoen again, but please stay on track, okay?! And who or what are you looking forward to seeing on SCC 2013?
- If I have to mention something specific, I’ll have to say the bad guys with the fastest cars. But at the same time, I really look forward to what I consider to be Norway’s by far most social gathering for VW-enthusiasts.

We know what you mean….! See you there!

SCC Event - Bugarella

NO GUTS
...no story

SCC Event

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 15:08:02 pm »

Only 99 days to go…  Grin

A handful of female racers participate on SCC every year. They’re not many, and the fact that just being women, makes them stand out from the crowd, is a reason to be impressed by their courage.
We all look closely, wondering how the bug babes are going to do. And they do very well!
Linda Reinli Rustad is one of them, Heblica in VWNorge. She raced her 1968 Doka, the Vespa service car, in 2011, with a 1915ccm engine. Her best time was 18.17.
This year she is racing again, trying to keep up with Holmes and his Losen. The goal is to get into the USB list – Ultimate Street Bays.
What preparations are left before you’ll be ready?
- Far too much! But the car is getting a larger engine and a better gear box than in 2011.

Linda har grown up with beetles, and she is the leader of VWACM. In addition to Børre, the Doka, she also owns a 55’ oval and a ’62 Karmann Ghia.
Her best memories from SCC 2012 are the atmosphere, the people, the Slackers party and the records.
Now she’s really looking forward to seeing the people she only meets once a year again, and Linda thinks that the combination of party, social gathering and racing, is what makes SCC the best weekend of the year!

We look forward to seeing you again!  Grin

The seviceman is fixing the service car, the doka.

SCC Event - Bugarella

NO GUTS
...no story

Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 22:31:41 pm »

Whoohoo Smiley Can't wait!

Next weekend is first test of the car. 1/8" Street Legal event, packed with heavy American donut-cars!  Grin

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
JLH

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 20:39:07 pm »

Can't wait myself...looking forward to race against some of those american cars, and meet you all again. The race seeson is on  Grin
I'm also doing some smal things with my car and hope everything is in its place to SCC.  Cool
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 18:03:42 pm by JLH » Logged

T1 1965 Cal Look 2110 Turbo
T1 1954 Oval
SCC Event

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 23:01:10 pm »

Neither can we.... Wink

Only 90 days to go!

This year he’ll show up with a brand ”new” car! He claims that the goal for SCC 2013 is to test it out, but probably he’d like to race furiously fast as well. The car he is bringing was actually meant to be ready for SCC 2012– A 1963 Type 1 dragster, 2,2wbx with a turbo, and 091 Bus gear box. The name: Rabalder.

He didn’t make it in time last year, and he ended up with Plan B – A 1965 Karmann Ghia. His best time on the dragstrip was 13.49 seconds.
Øyvind Berger, better known as just Berger, has been a central part of the SCC organizing group since 2007. Now his role is more withdrawn, as an accountant.
- Last year was the first time in some years I could just enjoy the gathering as a participant, and I got the price “Out with a bang” for Plan B, he recalls.

This year it’s due for Plan A, the drag beetle. He has been working on it for three years, and now it is getting fine tuned, and prepared to race fast. Berger himself looks most forward to seeing Jyrki from Finland in his new racing car.

We’re looking forward to Plan A! Good luck – See you around very soon!

Plan A, Rabalder, in progress:

Plan B, that made a respectable time on the dragstrip in 2012:

NO GUTS
...no story

SCC Event

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 22:42:29 pm »

Berger – You wanted to see Jyrki? Well, he cant’t wait to see you neither. And all you other guys.

Jyrki from Finland drives miles and miles, to be a part of Scandinavia’s best VW-show. A weekend filled with good friends and exciting races, makes him come back, year after year.
- I think I have been to SCC every year since 2006, except for one year, he can tell us.

Last year he wasn’t racing his own car, but helping out his friend, Tomi, with a brown split window, making 11.2 seconds on street tires.

Jyrki himself pulled his car, a ’65 turbo street car, down to heartbeating 9.43 seconds in 2010.
This late summer he brings a ’53 VW Beetle, “Purpose Built Street Car”, with a RLR CrMo chassis, 3400cc engine with a small turbo, MD4E, full steel body, over 1000kg race-ready!
His goal is a clean pass with 80% power!

Can’t wait….!

NO GUTS
...no story

SCC Event

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 22:30:04 pm »

84 days to go…

He’s one of the bad guys. One of those we hardly can wait to see, burning tires on the track, and taking off at such a high speed that even the audience can feel the adrenalin kick.
Almost the fastest in 2012. Technically the fastest, since the only one who crossed the finish line with a better time, was the Skinne beetle, but that was after the competition was over.

Crazy 8.77 was the time.
Tekken is his name.

His real name is Stian Abell Larsen, and he’s from Gjøvik. This August he’ll be back on SCC, not at all less motivated than last year. His plan is to win the Turbo/Slicks class.
The car he is bringing is the same as last year: A 1970/2007 proturbo drag beetle, with a ‘70 body, 2007 Tyo chromoly tube chassis, a T1 engine with 2276ccm and 790hk, and a Mendeola gear box.
What will be new in 2013 is an updated chassis with a funnycar cage, and stronger differential brake and driveshafts.
His clearest memory from last year is the Skinne beetle’s drag in 8.46 seconds. And also when they forgot to take out the safety pin in the parashoot, and he ended up drifting from side to side while slowing down from 255 km/h.

Stian has always loved air cooled VW, and in addition to the drag beetle, he also owns a 4x4 rallycross turbo beetle that he would like to restore.
- But there’s just not enough time. I guess I’ll end up selling it, he says.

Well, we might be able to live with that, as long as you keep that insanely fast drag car.

Oh, holy shivers…!

NO GUTS
...no story

SCC Event

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:55 am »

Only 66 days to go…!  Grin Grin

But will Putte get ready for SCC 2013?!?

This is nerve wrecking… When Eivind Németh from Moss tested his new engine this spring, it just wouldn’t run properly. The 2332ccm engine is now sent to Johannes Persson and JP Motorsports in Helsingborg, and Eivind is anxious to see what magic he can do.
Hopefully it will get ready before August, and Putte, a ‘72 Type 1 1302L, will let out about 240 wild horses in it’s backyard. He did 154.84 km/h on Gardermoen last year, so this might get fun!

Putte did eight rounds before it’s engine called it a day in 2012, and this year Eivind’s primary goal is to drive home in his own car.
He’d like to get his time down to a low 13, but the most important is not being overtaken by Losen.
What you might not know about Eivind, is that it actually was his aunt that got him into drag racing. When he got married in 2007, they borrowed his aunt’s bug, and later they got the opportunity to buy it. Putte has been a part of Eivinds family since.
We’re quite sure Putte will be ready in time for SCC, and Eivind is already ready.
- I look forward to seeing Knasten in his ’63 Type 2 ambulance with a WBX turbo, and Losen with his upgraded T4, he can tell us.

Soon, Eivind, soon…

NO GUTS
...no story

richie

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:51 am »

I just booked our depot spaces, preparations have begun, yesterday I got the new slicks fitted and made a new chute mount for a different style chute, still plenty of jobs to be done though

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:54:22 am »

I am using every spare minute (there are not enough..) to get my racecar done. My hope is to test it at Bug Run Classic and then at SCC.
Very close to fire it up. Just need to do some more on the electrical system. So maybe this weekend. If engine sounds ok, I will head on with the rest.... which is just about hundred small tasks   Roll Eyes

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
richie

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 08:48:45 am »

I am using every spare minute (there are not enough..) to get my racecar done. My hope is to test it at Bug Run Classic and then at SCC.
Very close to fire it up. Just need to do some more on the electrical system. So maybe this weekend. If engine sounds ok, I will head on with the rest.... which is just about hundred small tasks   Roll Eyes

Looking good Smiley

Good luck getting it running, that is always a huge motivation to hear it fire up and run the 1st time Cool

cheers Richie

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 21:12:26 pm »

Looking good Smiley

Good luck getting it running, that is always a huge motivation to hear it fire up and run the 1st time Cool

cheers Richie

Thank you Smiley
So close to start up, but for every two steps forward, there is one back... have to pull the engine again as the clutch is hitting something..arrgghhh.
But not giving up quite yet Wink Going to BugRun Classic anyway, with or without race car. See you there Smiley

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Flakeyjake

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 09:08:09 am »

... have to pull the engine again as the clutch is hitting something..arrgghhh.

three weeks ago.......... the same problem Angry, but now all looks fine and i have 4 weeks to test the new engine and gearbox Grin

happy to see all at SCC

PB 12.13 @ 177kmh SCC2015
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 17:33:04 pm »

Looks good Thomas:-)
I'll come and take a closer look when I am back from my vacation

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

SCC Event

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 22:32:31 pm »

Keep your reports coming! We all wanna know what you're doing to tune in for SCC 2013.  Grin

Do you feel the tickling..?!? We sure do.  Grin ONLY 32 days to go..

This guys sure feels it. His project thread on VW Norge has been read over 67.000 times, and has more than 1700 answers…!

He is one of those we all kind of know, but really would like to know better. He starts his thread “The student building muscles” with these words:

“You always walk around, talking and bragging about everything you’re planning to build…
But I’ve realized that I really have to do something.”

And so he did. This post was written April 4th 2011, and he did what he promised. Through his work and his posts, he has described, reflected, provoked and taught us a lot, and he also sure got himself a nice muscular engine.
He is 21 years old, and got his car when he was 17. Still young, but wise enough to irritate

- I’m very interested in learning things, and I can be very rude without meaning to. I’m not at all competitive, and I enjoy seeing others win more, than winning myself. I believe cars are meant to be used, and cars with register plates, have nothing to do on trailers, he says.

His name is Håkon Dalland. He is from Bergen, and he is studying to become a mechanical engineer.
He got a 2275ccm engine out of his project - An orange colored Type 1, 1300S.
- It’s built for durability, and to be a good street engine, he says.

He drove the same car to SCC last year, and did 15 point something on the drag strip. This August his goal is to drive at least two rounds, as fast as it goes. It’s also a primary goal to mingle and shit chat with all the other participants.
He has lots of good memories from SCC 2012, and particularly he remembers all the people, and the good mood. He also mentions how nervous he was at the start line, and how nice everyone were, lending him the proper equipment, and showing him how things works in a drag race.

– Most of all I remember when I had driven about 250 meters, and I started thinking that this is going dangerously fast, and at 300 meters I didn’t dare thinking anymore, he laughs. 

He looks especially forward to seeing Trond’s oval window, Eivind’s Putte, and Holmsen’s and Knasten’s buses.

And so do we, and you too!  See you in August!

NO GUTS
...no story

richie

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:59 am »

I finished putting the car back together yesterday after having a different ratio 4th gear fitted to the mendeola by Pete@cogbox , and a new style parchute to mount and figure out release cable etc, so I am good to go test this weekend and then check it over ready for both BRC & SCC

I am also trying to bring spare parts for those "just incase moments" as its along way to go to have something simple fail and ruin the trip, so I was pleased to receive this in the mail today, having had some corrosion issues with the set in the car its nice to know it wont be a problem this trip Smiley

cheers Richie

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 21:12:02 pm »

I can't wait!!!

I will be back in my own aircooled car this year  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 06:57:15 am »

Finally Rabalder came to life Smiley

http://youtu.be/M0n3PijWG1s

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
richie

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 07:12:37 am »

Finally Rabalder came to life Smiley

http://youtu.be/M0n3PijWG1s

Excellent, you must be very happy Cool

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 07:29:07 am »

Well our test weekend went ok, the track suffered from lots of cars with treaded tyres pulling the rubber of about 20ft from the startline which caused lots of problems keeping the car straight, but the car is all good and I managed a slight improvement to run 8.85@149mph, I will check everything is tight and the filters are clean then we will be ready for our road trip, 1st to bug run classic and then on to SCC Cool Smiley

See you all in a few weeks

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 06:29:44 am »

The lorry passed its annual test yesterday so another step nearer being ready, just finishing up the new ramps to make loading the car easier and that will be ready too Smiley

cheers Richie

Rocket-Racing

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:03 am »

Looking forward to seeing you all there  Wink

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 09:25:58 am »

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to this year......

By the way Richie.... I have a place in Fredrikstad that sells PG Tips  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
SCC Event

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 21:33:42 pm »

11 small summer days to go…!!!

Just married, and ready to race!

Beate Dahlberg, Jee’s right hand, partner and best friend – She is going to enter the drag strip again this year, and mainly the goal is to do better than last year.
She is totally ready!! Are you?!

Her 1960 Cal looker with a well-tuned 1915ccm Jee engine needs nothing but a wash, practically spinning in the garage, waiting to get out to race.
Beate drove the same car last year, and did the respectable time of 14.7 seconds. Even if the engine had some minor carburetor problems.

Beate is bringing her husband to Gardermoen, and they look forward to see friends and other enthusiasts on SCC 2013. So do we!!!

NO GUTS
...no story

DWL_Puavo

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:32 am »

Just passed MOT on friday and drove first weekend's 500km without problems. Last preparations for the SCC - to build some interior to dampen excess road noise. Also have to swap in our old'n'reliable IDA-stroker, current "MOT-engine" is not up to the task as we've got a bit over 1000km's to drive to Gardemoen. Plan is to get 2-3 sweet passes on the track and then enjoy those fast rides for the whole weekend! I hope also to apply to Ultimate Street Bays, at least bronze level, silver's the target... See you all there!
The Martin

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 15:44:16 pm »

live Music saturday on SCC this year are ready to rock the stage, the legendary Norwegian Rockabilly band shotgun Whalers, lets shake the body this day.
( www.shotgunwhalers.com )

SCC Event

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 19:06:16 pm »

Three days to go!!!

The majority of the participants on SCC are not racing. They are watching, feeling, living and relaxing. Driving their Volkswagen the rest of the summer on common roads, taking it to SCC to show it off. Or maybe not… Maybe just taking it there, not being anything to show off.
Tistlo fro Voss in Norway is one of them. Well known by all users of the forum VWNorge, probably being the one who has written the most posts ever. Twenty years old. He must have been breastfed with air…

Christer Tistlo Helle works at a local garage on a daily basis, and he has devoted himself to helping others getting their Volkswagens ready for SCC, rather than getting his own project ready. Like he does the rest of the year as well.
- I believe my role in the VW environment is helping others, including everything from welding, engine work, emergency help, to selling parts. I have built up quite a lot of stuff, and I’m trying to help people in need as far as I can, he smiles.
He says others might believe he is a computer addict, spending most of his time on his ass.
- I would have believed that! But I hopes that the ones who have met me knows that isn’t the truth.

He had hoped 2013 would be a quiet year, giving him time to fulfill some of his own projects, but no… He dragged home a ‘60 patinated bug earlier this year, but there are weeks ago, since the time ran out, to get it ready for SCC 2013. Plan B, getting his ’77 doka ready, also fell in the gravel. He has done a lot, but there are still some things to do.
- I have accepted that I’m taking a totally original’67 Type 1. I changed the engine last night, and now I have to get it approved.
Well boy, you’ve got three days…

- SCC has been almost like a pilgrim journey to me. I can’t explain it in any reasonable way, but being there is the closest I get to total happiness.

We know what you mean.
See you there!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:19:07 am by SCC Event » Logged

NO GUTS
...no story

richie

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:26 am »

We will finish the last section of our journey today after an overnight stop by a lake in Sweden and be at gardermoen this afternoon, see you all soon Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: