The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 07:47:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP cruise/bug in 38 ....pictures wanted please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DKP cruise/bug in 38 ....pictures wanted please  (Read 5129 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: April 27, 2013, 11:27:21 am »

can  you share with us some picture from the DKP cruise night and bug in 38

thx

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 11:34:17 am »

i found some on the net , can we have some explaination about those car

this ghia is the ex Richard Kong ghia , and this car is inthe DKP now Huh (stickers on the driver side)

and who 's the owner of that car (white) ?? is this henry's car Huh i know he had fuchs(alloy) and 48 ida engine , european taillight , and this one have Brm and no 48ida

and last is this EL GRANDE GRINGO  on this picture??

bmxnut65

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 18:19:55 pm »

Fabs, that is not my car, my car is temp. broke down.

Der Kleiner Panzers
richie

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 18:28:20 pm »

Fabs,the ghia cab is owned by Robert Kong,pretty sure its still his,the last picture is Troy palmer,Ron and Mike herbert

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 22:44:47 pm »

Fabs,the ghia cab is owned by Robert Kong,pretty sure its still his,the last picture is Troy palmer,Ron and Mike herbert
i wasn't sure about Troy so he's in DKP now and i would say robert not richard  but he's into DKP too??

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 22:45:52 pm »

Fabs, that is not my car, my car is temp. broke down.

ok henry thx for your answer

and now i know that troy's car  Wink

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 05:51:13 am »

Robert Kong is the newest member of DKP yes.  That is his Ghia in the pics yes.  The white car on BRM's is Troy Palmer's.    AKA El Grande Gringo

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:47:54 am »

thx jason  Wink

johnb

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:16:04 am »

There are some more posted at http://www.dkpcarclub.com/
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 15:26:11 pm »

http://bowtie0069.fotki.com/2013-irwindale-pix/bug-in-irwindale-2013/
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 16:11:13 pm »

COOL that Andy Costello's car was there ...

Would love to see that.

Thanks for the pics ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Dave Galassi

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 18:49:40 pm »

What a good time that was!  Good cars and better friends.  Some highlights................

Dean's "new" Yukon 1967 Convertible.  Wow is all I can say.  That is the best preserved convertible I've seen in a very long time.  Original top and headliner, not to mention the rest.  It's a must see.

Every time I see Art Gutierrez' car it's a treat, and with the new engine, can't wait to see it run.  Maybe Sacto......

Standing in the staging lanes next to a rusty barndoor with a big engine.  The driver starts it up and it sounds like it's got straight cuts but with sandpaper in between..........  He gets out, opens the hatch,  SMACKS the fan shroud twice and it shut up.  I couldn't stop laughing as he pulled ahead and made a pass!

The kindness of the DEEKS, allowing us to park with them and having many offers of food and help (special thanks to Todd Fuller for detail work!).  The same offer was on the table from DKP as well, we just ended up closer to the lanes.  Both great clubs.

Chatting with the Volks Chancellors.  Lot of history there........and great people.

Finally, seeing Russ Welch back on a track and driving the Split.  He hasn't driven it much since completion, due to Chemo and a lot of other factors, so it was a treat.  Larry Rick and I drove the cars to the staging lanes and called Russ (who was selling in the swap meet area) to come over.  The plan was for him to make one pass and call it a day.  It was really nice to meet Mark Trembly, who was doing tech and passed the split.  Ron Fleming was kind enough to let the guys in the staging lanes know to let us line up against each other, so we got up front and "turned the corner" at the 'dale.  I got the left lane and drove around the water box to stage.  Russ, not having driven on a dragstrip in say, 35 years and having a TON of people staring at him, drove right through the water.  I looked over at him and smiled, and saw that he was waiting for me to stage first.  No problem.  We staged and the tree lit.  Knowing I was handicapped with about 1/2 the power of Russ' Split (172 HP 2165 vs. Pepco/built1600SP  HP unknown) I got a huge hole shot (.129RT) and launched.  It turns out Russ' RT was .510 and then he spun through first gear as the tires were cold and wet from the box.  It looked good for my lane until he hooked!  At about 1/2 track or so he went past and all was good.  As fate would have it, he ran a 9.675.    
After the run, we came back down the return lane with Russ in front, but instead of going back to our parking area, he headed back to the staging lanes!  Right on! We laughed about the process and Russ said he would go around the box the next time....... Lots of pats on the back from old friends while we waited it out for another go.  Sure enough, back at the lights.  

Spilt on the left.  Right as I'm going around the water box I see him pull right into it again.  Oh no, I thought, but then he did a bitchin' burnout and looked over laughing and smiling.  Game on.  I staged first, knowing that he wouldn't........  The tree fell and I left well (.029RT) but again, by 1/2 track, he was gone. 9.189 for the Split.  There's a lot left in that car too.

Funny thing was, my wife and kids and extended family were there as well, cheering us on, and as I was making the pass, I could see my kids jumping up and down at the fence and I waved at them!  That got the DKP laughing!

Anyway, enough rambling, but it was a special one for me, and I know for Russ as well.

Hope this link works.  This was the first pass.  Thanks to Ron Johnson for sending it to me.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw2racNXkwqjbF8xMV9OUnM0Qk0/edit?pli=1

If you turn it up and listen closely, you can hear the blower whine on the ragtop!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 19:37:12 pm by Dave Galassi » Logged
johnl

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 19:01:08 pm »

Dave,  Thanks for the great read.  Wish I could have been there but after Friday evening at Nicks (5 hours out of the hospital) and attending the DKK event along with the guys from Belgium having me doing some driving in the Green Monster and some long and detailed photo shoots up in the Fullerton Hills I was done.

My best to you and Russ................  Smiley

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 19:05:00 pm »

Here a few pictures with Tom and the Volks Chancellors.

Frenchy [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: