The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:50:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP Odyssey Rallies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DKP Odyssey Rallies  (Read 3520 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 01, 2013, 17:55:24 pm »

Very little talk (at least what I could find) on these. Guys that "were there" please share stories, how the rallies played out, how were they created. Pictures?
Thanks for any memories you can share!

Jim R.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 23:16:22 pm »

Very little talk (at least what I could find) on these. Guys that "were there" please share stories, how the rallies played out, how were they created. Pictures?
Thanks for any memories you can share!

Jim R.

I'm sure the guy that could tell this story and tell it well would be Sarge....  Jim I believe kept all of the flyers for most of those events.  I just remember driving them and having loads of fun.  Didn't care if I even placed it was just doing it and making it to the end for eats and maybe a couple of races out of the parking lot.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 20:05:10 pm »

I ran a couple of these rally's in the mid 70's

A buddy (who was my Navigator in the SCCA Pro Rally Series) and I ran one in my Datsun Mini Truck. It ended up at the pier in Newport Beach and we won the thing overall, much to the dismay of all the VW guys. I may still have the trophy and dash plaque somewhere

Good Times
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 20:25:24 pm »

You guys remember how the rallies were set up? Didn't a particpant have to run the previous "version(s)" in order to be able to figure out the current one?
This is one part of the Cal Look craze of today that's kind of missing.... actually driving. I know the kybosh has been put on much of the arranged street racing (for better I suppose), but reading about the old trips down to SD Zoo and the punch-dot gas station map rallies.... sure sounds like it was all fun. I'm sure the world was a different place.... sigh...
Today a cell phone and an "app for that" takes all the challenge and reward away, doesn't it?

Dyno-Don

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 20:34:53 pm »

The ones that I remember were what was commonly called a "Gimmick Rally" where you would be given instructions, and thr street names etc. would be somewhat cryptic (Like turn left on "Happy Rock" which was Gladstone st) or turn left at the "trembling Pie (Shakey's Pizza) stuff like that, and then you had to answer questions about stuff you would see along the route. If there was a tie, the shortest mileage traveled to complete the route would win (they wrote down your mileage at the beginning and end.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 20:40:27 pm »

one of these days I'll have to share a post about our badly failed "Yellow Sheep" navigation rally we put on, in the tule fog, in the Delta region of Northern Calif.... circa 1996 or so.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 21:06:29 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 21:09:14 pm »

Wink
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 21:11:08 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Ben67

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:47:15 am »

I remember different kind of rally's. My Dad had a '56 Ford truck that was later replace with a panel truck of the same year. He's a 56 man.
Anyway, as a kid we, Mom Dad & I, would pile into the truck on sat morning. Head out to some random super market  or school parking lot and that's when it started.  A poker run as they called it.  You'd get navigation sheet, a playing card and a sealed envelope that had the destination, it you got lost or decided to bail out. Along the way there would be stops at which additional cards would be given or a trivial question for a time bonus. Same as most rally's. shortest time & most correct answers won. Best poker hand won a prize too.  They need at a park with. Everyone picnicking.  There would be raffles. And volley ball games between the different clubs. Games for us kids.  Quite A event. Good times for sure.    Man I miss that truck. Lots of memories in that truck . Funny thing, I went to my first Pomona swap in that truck. 
      I always though I'd be driving it. 

Der Kleiner Panzers        http://pursang356.blogspot.com/

"champagne taste...beer money"
Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:53 am »

We had a navigation rally back in the late 90s when I was in Half A Brain VW Club. We'd all got really into KS's California Look bible so decided to do a rally, starting and ending at a little flying club quite a way from home. Cue speeding around country lanes, three point turns in random strangers driveways, and copious amounts of booze in the flying club bar that evening before crashing in our tents. A great event but an arse to organise!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
kafercup

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 05:39:50 am »

one of these days I'll have to share a post about our badly failed "Yellow Sheep" navigation rally we put on, in the tule fog, in the Delta region of Northern Calif.... circa 1996 or so.

Oh yeah, the "Yellow Sheep"  That was an interesting one Smiley
kafercup

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:40:19 am »

Wow!  Really cool to see the old fliers!
stealth67vw

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 06:00:56 am »

Oh yeah, the "Yellow Sheep"  That was an interesting one Smiley
That was my first outing with the IDAs on my 1776. I had to stop for fuel twice looking all over the delta looking for that last yellow sheep. Fun times.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: