The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:59:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Silverline main bearings with oil groove at the case side
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Silverline main bearings with oil groove at the case side  (Read 4281 times)
GreenTom

« on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »

I use those bearings for a while because they have heavy center main bearing (not crappy light like KS or Mahle these days). But I started to wonder if the oil groove at the back (engine case side) won't cause the oil starvation at con rod big ends.
 Did any of you guys had any issues with silverline back grooved main bearings?

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 14:35:15 pm »

Gary Berg seems to like them...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Joel Mohr

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 16:49:17 pm »

It's all I use....no problems...

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 17:08:45 pm »

If anything the volume of oil on the back of the bearing helps.  Keep in mind that PRESSURE is what feeds the rod bearings and not just volume. If all your tolerances are good and the bearing saddle to bearing is snug as a result of having the right line bore, there should not be any issues.  I use these bearings too and my rod journals and rods look great with each tear down and inspection.  The key is having great oil pressure.  My motor runs at 40-45 lbs when at 195 - 210 temps and I am only running a 26mm pump.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
RhoadsVW

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 20:32:29 pm »

I use the Silverline all the time with no issues. But when I install them I push the bearings, both the ones behind the gears and the center as far against the dowel as possible towards the flywheel. The new cases seam to have the oil hole towards the flywheel a bit more than older cases so the outside oil groove on the bearing might not line up completely. I have had to do this with all manufactured bearings with the new cases.
                                                                                                                                                       Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
GreenTom

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 21:52:52 pm »

Thank You all for information.
That will asure me that I was right.

I just had 1 issue with one set that thrust bearing was thicker on flywheel side but I hadeled with that.

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
RhoadsVW

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 22:10:31 pm »

OOps,  One more thing about the Silverline is that you really need to check. Out of the hundreds I have used that on the thrust bearing there was a couple that had a runout on the thrust.  Need to put the bearing on the crank and spin it around and check the runout. I have also found this on Mahle bearings and on Clemex. Just something you need to check.  I only remembered this because on a set of Silverline it just happened this weekend for the second time in several years.  But they are a pretty good bearing. Both the mains and rods.   Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 19:39:16 pm »

Just found this old thread. The original poster might be interested in using Mahle Clevite main bearings. I just purchased a set and there are several specific advantages to the Clevite over Silverline or the other brands out there that are no longer steel-supported on # 2.

Jim
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:13:33 am »

This past two weeks I have inspected several set of new KS, Mahle and Silverline main bearing sets.
Honestly they all needs to be inspected before use, but only the Silverline bearings was ok
with a very little work.

The KS and Mahle sets where all JUNK. Maybe i was ran it to a bad batch but they where really bad,
some issues was so bad that you could tell just from looking at them.

All I use is Silverline bearings, but never just use them allwas inspect them as well as all other parts..

Just what I have experienced.

/Rolf
alex d

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 12:49:47 pm »

what "little" work did you have to do to the Silverlines? I'll be using a set soon
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 14:27:48 pm »

what "little" work did you have to do to the Silverlines? I'll be using a set soon

Oil hole alignment on all bearings.
A little polish/deburring at the thrust surface #1 bearing
Proper radius for aftermarket cranks with more radius at the journals.

/Rolf
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: