The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:35:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project 56..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Project 56..  (Read 85281 times)
kev d

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 19:59:44 pm »

How many have you seen with non standard front seats that almost touch the back seat though... Smiley

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
kev d

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 22:53:45 pm »

Its all glamour this car building... Cheesy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
kev d

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2014, 18:14:13 pm »

Dragged the 56 back home yesterday Grin
Got a bit more bodywork to do after blasting it as it showed up a couple of areas that were thinner than expected, nothing serious but not going to cut corners at this stage!

I'm replacing both rear bumper mounts with hookeys panels & also both heater channel bottom plates so I can blast & treat any rust inside the channels.

Going to make a hole in the roof too.. Cool

kev d

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 22:52:15 pm »

Decided do dive into the ragtop graft... Seemed more interesting than the other jobs I could've been doing Wink
Got the hole cut & new section sitting in place, next stage is the finish cut on the roof & start welding Cool

BossHogg76

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2014, 13:10:33 pm »

Big balling it there Kev, I'd have been bricking it cutting a hole that big  Grin
kev d

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2014, 19:48:02 pm »

It's only metal mate, cut off too much & it'll weld back on!
Funnily enough my woodworking is pretty crap... Wink

kev d

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 11:36:54 am »

Job done!
Took my time welding it in & ended up with very little distortion, found that tacking in the front corner braces 1st worked better but they did need modifying as the donor roof was a 60's car.
Going to lead load the join just because I want to learn how to do it Grin

Next step are the rear bumper mounts & removable valance.
Cheers

fahrvergnugen

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 12:43:35 pm »

Cool. nice job Kev.

kev d

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 16:55:15 pm »

Cool. nice job Kev.

Cheers!

kev d

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2014, 19:32:37 pm »

First time back onto the 56 in months so starting out with easy stuff! Grin
This is going to get lots of miles on it with the kids so one job was always going to be seat belts.
For the front I've used the upper B post mounts salvaged from a 74 I broke.
The lower B posts will need a small 'box' made with the correct captive nut & tied into the heating channel.

At the back I'm using modern late hatchback inertia reel belts hidden under a parcel shelf.
Pics to follow Smiley

Body wise I've got the rear bumper mounts & valance tacked into place but really need a good w deck lid before final welding. It's had a small shunt at the back that's bent the deck lid & I don't want to weld anything till I've got all the panels that'll be staying with it!
Cheers
Kev

kev d

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2014, 22:02:54 pm »

Had a bit of garage time lately so managed to get a bit more metalwork done Grin

The rear bumper mounts are finished, this is the first time I've used Hookeys panels but these fitted perfectly, the heater channel closing plates are just as good too Cool
I've removed the bottom plates so I could treat & rust proof the heater channels, very happy with what I found too, just some slight 'browning' & no rot!
Well worth doing even if it was a bit of a hassle. I'll finish the lower B post seat belt mountings before fitting the new closing panels so I can get everything properly painted first.

Also got the wheel well lower panel removed & repaired some minor damage to the front valance.
Its coming together now.. Cool

BossHogg76

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:27 am »

Looking good Kev, how colds the garage at the moment?  Shocked
kev d

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:53 pm »

Not too bad, the big heater helps though! Grin

kev d

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2015, 09:53:53 am »

Replaced the wheel well while it was still on its side, much easier!
Next job is to make the front lower seat belt mounts then paint the inside of the channels before fitting the new closing panels.
Ideally I'd like a N.O.S rear apron to finish of the rear but will probably end up using one of the quality repro parts that's available.

kev d

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 20:11:14 pm »

Update time Grin
I've made the lower B post seat belt mounts then treated & epoxy primed the inside of the heating channels, boring job but glad I did it anyway!
After that I cleaned the underside back to bare steel & gave everything 2 coats of epoxy primer, I'll leave it to cure then seam seal all the joins before stonechipping everything. It'll all be painted body colour, not an original or 'show' finish but I'm building it to be used & last.
While it was still on its side I did the inside of the roof too.

Next stage is get stuck into the bodywork & get it ready for primer.. Cool

56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2015, 23:13:21 pm »

I've made the lower B post seat belt mounts . . .
Are they the new bits seen inside the heater channels?

Lookin' good Kev . . . keep up the nice work!  Cool

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2015, 00:03:32 am »

Some sensible mods there Kev.  Cool

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2015, 02:28:55 am »

Looks great man!

PS: I bet the wife's a bit upset at sleeping on the couch until the mattress isn't needed by the Beetle any more............ Grin
kev d

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2015, 06:14:58 am »

Looks great man!

PS: I bet the wife's a bit upset at sleeping on the couch until the mattress isn't needed by the Beetle any more............ Grin

Cheesy she's a trooper, knows it's all in a good cause!

I've made the lower B post seat belt mounts . . .

Are they the new bits seen inside the heater channels?

Lookin' good Kev . . . keep up the nice work!  Cool
Yep, basically a piece of 2.5mm wall box section with a mounting face & captive nut. It's welded to the inside of the channel & plug welded through the new bottom plates.
Some sensible mods there Kev.  Cool
Cheers Ron Cool, how's tricks?

GASBNR

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2015, 07:29:55 am »

Good stuff there Kev.
 Cool

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
kev d

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2015, 08:22:04 am »

Cheers!

Wray

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2015, 11:28:21 am »

What about the drag car is it going to drag day? Shocked Wink
kev d

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:01 am »

'Fraid not Cry
I'll get it out eventually!

BossHogg76

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2015, 16:30:51 pm »

Looks good mate, are you going to the Drag day at all?
kev d

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2015, 16:36:37 pm »

Well no new pics worth posting but there's been some progress!
Most of the body work is done & its hopefully going to be in paint before long.. Just means I'm running out of time to settle on a colour Cheesy

Larry S

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2016, 13:09:47 pm »

Kev,
I need to replace my rear bumper mounts as well, I went to the web site of the company you mentioned but it only lists those for a 60-67 model, is this what you used? You are doing a great job on the car!
Thanks for your help!
Larry

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
kev d

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2016, 15:38:54 pm »

Hi Larry,
Without digging out the invoice I can't be sure tbh!
I e mailed him before ordering & the panels I got were 100% the same as the originals & were a lovely fit Cool
Can't recommend him highly enough!
Cheers
Kev

Larry S

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2016, 17:56:41 pm »

Thank you Kev, I have reached out to them. Your car is looking great, you are doing an amazing job. I should have a rolling chassis soon and will be tackling the body soon as well.
Larry

kev d

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2016, 19:05:04 pm »

No probs!
Keeping an up to date build thread I hope? Cheesy
Cheers
Kev

Larry S

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2016, 23:37:00 pm »

Kev, Yes I do have a thread under In Da Works named MY NEW 56 PROJECT, you have even posted to it. I have not updated for a long time but I am getting ready to. I have got a lot done recently, chassis should be rolling soon. I have done some body work but hope to really dig in soon. thanks for the info!

Larry

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: