The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Project 56..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Project 56..  (Read 85024 times)
kev d

« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2016, 08:56:26 am »

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:59:08 am by kev d » Logged

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
kev d

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2016, 08:57:12 am »

Thanks Smiley

Hi Larry,

The stuff I used was called gravitex, it's good quality, available in black, white or gray, will go over pretty much anything & is paintable.
Only has a few important points:
It doesn't have any real rust inhibiting qualities so don't use it on bare steel, existing paint or a good quality primer base.
Apply in 2 coats for a thicker covering where you need it, go on too heavy & it'll just run & sag, also take ages to dry.
Make sure it's properly cured before painting, if it's still soft when it's painted it'll always stay soft.
Before spraying it make sure the surfaces are key'd & cleaned with panel wipe / mild de-greaser.
Before painting over it use a scotchbrite pad to key it then wipe off again.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2016, 18:16:30 pm »

VERY NICE job Kev!!! Cool
the brackets for the rear brake pipes fouled the rear boot floor so I had to cut them off, move them back & make new brake pipes... Roll Eyes
Kev . . . are you are referring to the brackets that attach the brake line to the top of the diagonal arm pivots.

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
kev d

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2016, 19:31:23 pm »

Thanks Smiley
Yep that's them, when I converted to IRS I didn't take into account the depth of the rear X members... Roll Eyes
Moved them closer to where VW intended & funnily enough they don't hit anything.. Grin
Cheers
Kev

BossHogg76

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2016, 20:46:56 pm »

Absolutely lovely Kev!!
kev d

« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2016, 21:06:41 pm »

Absolutely lovely Kev!!

Cheers bud Cool

kev d

« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2016, 09:28:58 am »

Managed to get a bit of garage time this last week & started screwing it together Smiley

Started with the gearbox, it's from a late square back so the selector shaft has the dimple for the shift rod on the underside & as it turns out is also 10mm shorter than a bug..
After about 1 1/2 hrs messing about trying to get the shifter to select all the gears I took out the box & swapped in a bug selector, should've done that to begin with.. Roll Eyes

Then I bolted down the body & finished the front beam off, Pretty much all the hardware is stainless & came from mark at flatlands engineering. If you've never looked at his website it's worth a look, everything is quality & not expensive Cool
Looks good too Grin

The rear brakes have been an issue..
They're early 944 & weren't 100% complete when I got them, no handbrake fittings at all or calipers, how hard or expensive are those bits when you need them Shocked
After 3 attempt I eventually got the CORRECT calipers!
Also hopefully found all the handbrake bits & should get them next week.

So I moved onto the wiring, now when I bought the car it had been picked pretty much bare & didnt have any loom left. Because I'd always planned to modernise the running gear as much as I could I bought an aftermarket harness from langys hot rods. It's made by Rebel & comes with a pre wired fuse box, every wire is marked with what it does every 6" or so & supplied wound into 4 main coils - front section, rear section & 2 dash sections.
Started off making an alloy bracket for the fuse box & mounted it under the rear seat then ran the wires up the tunnel for the front end.
Rear section runs up the boot floor then through to the inner wings each side for the lights, the engine wires will come out behind the fan shroud.
I'm not planning any switches on the dash so everything is likely to be on a small panel between the handbrake & gear lever.
Hopefully get a bit more done this week Cool

kev d

« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2016, 09:54:29 am »

Pics!

kev d

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2016, 09:56:52 am »

More

kev d

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2016, 20:57:57 pm »

Bit more done today Grin
I built up & fitted the steering column, it's a late t3 inner with the original outer sleeve cut down at the bottom so as to clear the crumple zone.
Top end has a late column bearing fitted with a drop of loctight.
Finally the steering wheel I got for an anniversary present @3 years ago!

Ran the wires out for the headlights too, used a bit of stainless braided hose to keep them safe & tidy.
Will need to decide on switch positions soon so I can order what I need. The plan of having them between the front seats on the tunnel won't work as there's just not enough room Sad
Ordered an indicator stalk today so that's hopefully going to take care of that one!

kev d

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2016, 21:01:23 pm »

More

BossHogg76

« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2016, 20:03:44 pm »

Looking great Kev, nice touches there
kev d

« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2016, 21:21:26 pm »

Cheers Rob Cool
I've got a little more done to it now, bit more wiring & some other odds n sods, the steering box turned out to be fubar'd  after everything was connected so I've swapped that out. Roll Eyes
Away tomorrow on a job for 4 weeks so hopefully I'll have some bits waiting to be fitted when I'm back! Grin
Cheers
Kev

kev d

« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2016, 20:14:30 pm »

So I've managed to spend a bit more time on it, unfortunately it's mostly on jobs no-one will notice but me! Cheesy
I've fitted the wipers & ran the wiring for it up the L/H A post, along the can't rail & down the B post. I'm trying to hide as much of the wiring as possible & keep things as simple looking as I can.
It's a late 2 speed motor fitted to the original oval mechanism, pretty easy swap & just needed a couple of trial fits to make sure the motor cleared the scuttle. Tested it on the bench, all went well so it got a coat of paint, new scuttle grommets & nuts then fitted.
Now I'd intended keeping the switches out of sight & came up with a plan to fit them between the front seats...
After a couple of other ideas I settled on a steel bracket bolted to the tunnel. The switches sit just below the level of the seat bolsters & fall to hand easily. once everything's tested the sides will be covered by trimmed panels.
I've also been cleaning & painting some other bits & pieces ready for when needed.
Hopefully I'll get the wings painted fairly soon & get cracking with it Cool

kev d

« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2016, 20:17:39 pm »

This is the switch panel, I had to shorten the handbrake 2 1/2" but everything fits Grin

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2016, 13:55:26 pm »

Great work!

kev d

« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2016, 18:59:25 pm »

Thanks😎👍

kev d

« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2017, 09:57:06 am »

Got in the garage today & this happened Grin
All 4 wings painted & loosely hung waiting for wing beading.
Just need all the other bits painted now!

kev d

« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:57 am »

Also managed to get the rear brakes built after finally getting all the correct handbrake fittings Roll Eyes
Calipers are rebuilt & painted ready to go on, another piece of the puzzle done Grin

glassback kid

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2017, 23:22:52 pm »

looking good, love the colour, looks like its all coming together nicely.
what was involved in the later wiper swap? the motor on my 58 has just given up and i have a later assembly sat doing nothing
Russell

« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2017, 00:26:11 am »

Kev

You mentioned stainless nuts and bolts, was talking about that the other day, did you use it on suspension items, as we were thing it would be a lot weaker than the steel ones ?

Best Regards

Russell
kev d

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2017, 21:56:57 pm »

looking good, love the colour, looks like its all coming together nicely.
what was involved in the later wiper swap? the motor on my 58 has just given up and i have a later assembly sat doing nothing

Sorry for the late reply!
Didn't get a notification for some reason...
It was an easy swap, I re drilled the oval linkage frame for the new motor, (possibly 1 original hole & 2 new ones, been a while now..)
Also used the late crank that bolts onto the drive on the motor.
Don't think I've got any more pics of this, it's been a while since I did it now!
Definitely wasn't a big deal anyway, didn't take long to do & was working fine on the bench connected to a battery.
Just need to fit it onto the car to check clearance from the scuttle panel as its a tighter fit than the original.
Cheers
Kev

kev d

« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2017, 22:19:49 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Built up the headlights today.. Wasn't 100% about painting the rims but now it's done I'm very happy with them Cool
Got the rear calipers fitted & brake pipes finished too, just need to double check everything's tight & bleed them.
Next will be back to the wiring, maybe get the doors painted & fitted too Smiley
Cheers
Kev

Larry S

« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2017, 01:58:02 am »

Looks great Kev! keep it up.

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2017, 03:32:40 am »

I like the painted H/L rings . . . very much!
Yer car is lookin' great Kev!  Cool

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
kev d

« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2017, 20:42:19 pm »

Thanks guys😎

Felix/DFL

« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:00 am »

Very nice, really dig that green colour!
vwhelmot

« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2017, 16:05:58 pm »

Same here, digging the colour. Cool car.
kev d

« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2017, 21:34:17 pm »

Got it on the deck a few weeks back but it sat too high.. Angry
Both Spring plates were 1 outer spline out & the left also 1 inner.. Looks better now!
Also set the front beam, see how it looks when it's all built up but it's pretty near what I'm after right now Cool

Larry S

« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2017, 17:27:34 pm »

looking good, keep it up! I bought some panels from Hookeys like you used, great quality and a good guy to deal with. thanks for giving me his info.
Larry

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: