The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:12:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  New cabrio, this years progress and those 8s
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: New cabrio, this years progress and those 8s  (Read 23545 times)
richie

« on: June 02, 2013, 08:46:04 am »

I ended last year at Bitburg with basically a good running car, that finally was giving me the confidence to drive it and the knowledge that it would go down the track, over the winter the maintenance was limited to stripping down the engine, swapping the crank & rods, along with the bearings and the rest just checked over, the clutch and flywheel got resurfaced and reset, finally the injectors went back for a service as one cylinder wasn't quite as good as the other 3.
I also had some rear coilovers made by Strange engineering to my own specs for length, compression and rebound to suit the ride height and weight etc of this car and a new pair of springs to suit.

The 1st meeting we attended was the "street nationals" at Santa pod, the rain, wind and cold temperature stopped us running on Saturday and we only got one pass on sunday, with everything set real soft it went 9.43@138mph heres the video of that

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_BuAbXEVSM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/q_BuAbXEVSM</a>

I made some adjustments after that to various things, particularly on the launch.

Next we went to the Main event again at Santa pod, rain all day Friday ruined the sportsman class qualifying, then we only got one pass Saturday, and it just blew the tyres off at the start, sunday we got 4 passes with a best of 9.24@145mph and ran a best mph of 149, although I was happy with that, the 60fts were all really bad so I decided to do the RWYB the following Saturday to just spend some time tuning it to the startline.

Here's the go pro video of the 9.24 pass looking backwards   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KU5TSqjTK0M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KU5TSqjTK0M</a>

With the car still ready to go I left it in the lorry just doing minor maintenance and some clutch settings ready to try.

The idea was on the 1st pass to just do a 60ft and see how close we settings were, but the lanes were packed and it took about 1 1/2 hours to get a pass, so I decided if all was ok I would run it down the track to get more data, It still spun the tyres too much and the 60ft was poor but I kept my foot in it as it felt good and it ran the 8.98@151mph, It felt so much better than before that I didn't even need to pull the chute.
A quick check of everything and some changes to the fueling as it is real rich still and small clutch adjustment and we are straight back in the lanes to wait another hour or so to get a pass, slightly better 60ft but still way off what this car will do and it runs 8.91@150 again feels real good through the finish and no chute needed.

3rd pass and the chute comes out about 100ft up the track, having not used it the last 2 passes we think that it just shook itself out as the cable was right near the edge and the vibration from the wheelspin was shaking it alot, still ran 10.20 something I think. But the 60ft was much better, a 1.25

We quickly pack the chute and add fuel and get back in line, they have a classic Ford event starting at 5pm and made it clear that no other brands of cars will be allowed down the track and it is now 4.30. I add a little more clutch slip while we are in the lanes hoping to get a little more improvement in the 60ft and check the data from the last aborted run, still super rich so I make a quick change to the fuel map.
We get to the front and there is just us and one other car left, we really just did get there in time, this time the clutch is to soft and the 60ft is worse and the track has suffered from all the regular cars with road tyres and the dust and dirt that comes with that, the car is really lively moving around the lane and I peddle it a couple of times, I can feel its right on the edge spinning the tyres in 3rd and 4th gear but run it out to 9.06@152mph. Not what  was hoping for but the mph is nice to see.

the 1st 8 Video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6NFrmrIqa8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/a6NFrmrIqa8</a>

And a special treat the 1st 8 in slow motion, thanks to Blackett photography for doing this, he seemed as happy as us to actually see it happen Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wv1XOVoVX9c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Wv1XOVoVX9c</a>

And the 8.91 video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oElQo5DsamA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/oElQo5DsamA</a>

I have to say a few thankyou's, 1st Russell for listening to my stupid idea on the ferry to EBI 3 and agreeing with me that we should do it Grin  and all the help and encouragement since, then Kris, Jason, Molly and Scott Lauffer and all at VW paradise, when it all went tits up on the 5th pass, I couldn't have had better people to be surrounded by, they all went way above and beyond to help me recover and get everything fixed and have continued to help and support me ever since, they provide Real customer service long after they need to, something that was so missing with several other companies that were involved in the build of this car.
Steve Dalton for all the help he gave putting it together and fixing it after shit happened, a better man with a Sawsall you couldn't find Grin
Pete @ cogbox for getting me out the shit and fixing someone else's poor work when he really didn't want to touch it Wink
Mat Sanchez for giving up so much time to come help at the track, putting up with all the stupid stuff that happened and always making sure I am safely strapped in.

There's are lots more that have helped but this isn't the Oscars and I am already waffling on to much Angry Grin  Thankyou all Smiley

Next up the Summer nationals in 4 weeks time, hopefully sun and proper track prep, now I can finally put the proper spring in the wastegate and see if we can use the extra 400hp+ we have left Shocked Shocked Cool .

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:59:32 am »

Fabulous story. I can relate to the way your feel thinking back to when I ran those first two nines back in 1994 – back then I never dreamed I'd see a 'proper' VW run in the eights in the UK!

It's been a long road, but the journey was worth it. Well done the both of you. Just wish i could have been there to enjoy it with you!.

All the best

Keith

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
dangerous

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:23 am »

Great result and story Richie!
What engine/trans combination does this car use compared with the old vert?
Ole

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:26 am »

Wow, well done Richie and Team! I watched the 9.24 pass on the webcam (Super Gas), I guessed you didn't set up the car for 9.90s...  Grin

Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:54:58 am »

The Video's look Ace, way to go Richie...!!!

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Russell

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 11:14:32 am »

Richie

If it wasn't for your persistant efforts/attitude it would never have happened, whilst I and the remaining team/supporters appreciated the thanks....

The back to back 8s plus 3 times all within a tenth on the same day is down to the guy behind the wheel keeping his foot in it when it mattered and never giving up, your patience has now been rewarded.

A massive well done to you and Jo for putting up with you  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
richie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:51:19 am »

Great result and story Richie!
What engine/trans combination does this car use compared with the old vert?

Thanks Dave

old car is 002 style bus box[type 1 gears etc] and stock stud pattern CB case, comp elims by AJ, Scat crank,pauter steel rods, wisecos, etc,  new car was 091 but we couldn't get the needed ratios and now switched to a mendy[still cant get the right ratios but its better], engine is pauter case, dry sump, paradise heads, Bryant cranks, MGP rods,

cheers Richie

MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:07 pm »

Dear Richie

First of all big big congratulation !!

Please let me know how it feels to run into the 8th's ??  Grin

THX for share those technical details; if I look at those parts of your engine combo it looks like you are ready for even more..... Shocked

Please (if you are willing) share more details of your clutch set up and how you "add a little more clutch slip"  Huh

So keep on pushin' I sure will soon see even more

MeXX

Drag or Die
richie

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 13:01:03 pm »

The 9.06@152mph video, you can see the difference a little clutch adjustment makes in the launch

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6wjHTFmEJXQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6wjHTFmEJXQ</a>

fastbus

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 16:16:35 pm »

Big congrats to you and your team!  Cool

Your car is looking hard core fella and now making some real serious numbers at the quarter.
Looking forward to seeing it with another 400 bhp.  Shocked

Respect fella!

13.66@102mph in my old T3 crew cab builders truck!
13.01@109mph in my bug so far!
Dan Mazur

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 16:35:02 pm »

Hi Richie,  did you ever receive my PM?

--Dan

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
richie

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 18:54:58 pm »

Hi Richie,  did you ever receive my PM?

--Dan

Hi Dan
replied to you

cheers Richie

reijo5

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 19:10:31 pm »

well done , great to see this , all the effort £ and time you must have put in ,
great work ,  Smiley
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 20:31:18 pm »

Wow.
 Shocked
Crazy Mc.Stairs

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 21:55:08 pm »

Well done Richie, big congrats to you and your crew!!!  Wink

Cheers,

Christoph
pupjoint

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 00:39:19 am »

Congrats mr. Webb.  Smiley
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 07:30:35 am »

Job well done! Now taste the success and let it inspire you to push it even further. It is interesting to watch the videos and for me it almost looks like you managed the first 8 by adapting some of your driving style from the old car. Plenty of clutch, wheels up, a little sideways and pedal to the metal all the way no matter what - thats racing!

Great to watch and again CONGRATS to everyone!

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
richie

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 07:40:24 am »

Job well done! Now taste the success and let it inspire you to push it even further. It is interesting to watch the videos and for me it almost looks like you managed the first 8 by adapting some of your driving style from the old car. Plenty of clutch, wheels up, a little sideways and pedal to the metal all the way no matter what - thats racing!

Great to watch and again CONGRATS to everyone!

-BB-

Kalle

I totally agree, it was only after I watched them at home, didn't notice watching them back at the track, but it really does look more like the other car, maybe that's what I needed, for it to feel the same car Smiley to inspire my confidence,  That and being at Santa pod where I have got at least a 1000 passes over the years made it feel very comfortable  Cool

cheers Richie

vwcab

peter

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:51 am »

Congrats Richie,well done.  Wink  (and there is still 400hp to come)Whowwww.........      Shocked

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Mike Lawless

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 14:42:11 pm »

Incredible achievement my friend! Russel is right. Persistence pays off. I truly believe that to be the most ingredient in an effort such as this.

Keep after it, as we all know more is there.

Hope to see you and Jo again soon

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 15:25:34 pm »

Hey Richie, nice to catch up at the Main Event, it was a shame we missed all those runs on Friday but hey that's drag racing in England!

Fantastic result. Huge congratulations and well deserved. Really glad all the effort has finally paid off. Hopefully it'll be inspiring others to push that bit harder and keep your motivation up.
Oh and Summer Nationals you say? I think maybe a change of class Super Comp??  Wink

See you there   Smiley
richie

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 09:30:42 am »

Hey Richie, nice to catch up at the Main Event, it was a shame we missed all those runs on Friday but hey that's drag racing in England!

Fantastic result. Huge congratulations and well deserved. Really glad all the effort has finally paid off. Hopefully it'll be inspiring others to push that bit harder and keep your motivation up.
Oh and Summer Nationals you say? I think maybe a change of class Super Comp??  Wink

See you there   Smiley

No class change yet, still going to run Gas, figure I need to be well under the Super comp index to get anywhere, maybe after Summer nationals if it works out ok  Wink

cheers Richie

Basti

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 13:02:47 pm »

Congratulations Richie! Well done!!

It runs really nice and straight now!

I know where else is some time left  Grin except more power...

- black 62 cal look beetle
- Pro Mod Race car
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 22:49:45 pm »

BABABABAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...!!!  SWEET PASSES....  Now, If I can just figure out what a download is..? A long time coming Richie/again, congratulations...!!   Dyno
Airspeed

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 08:44:07 am »

Congrats Richie!
If I see what you are doing and the parts and partners you choose for this car, I think you're dead set on getting a european '7' down the way someday!
How cool would that be!

Walter

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
henk

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 09:39:04 am »

that's amazing,well done.
so now you have a 8 second car, 9 second car and soon a 10 second car.
what's next Smiley

henk!!!
richie

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:00 am »

Congrats Richie!
If I see what you are doing and the parts and partners you choose for this car, I think you're dead set on getting a european '7' down the way someday!
How cool would that be!

Walter

that's amazing,well done.
so now you have a 8 second car, 9 second car and soon a 10 second car.
what's next Smiley

henk!!!

I think Walter answered that question Shocked Grin

Right from the beginning I set out to build a car with the intention to try and go as quick as possible, with 7s the ultimate goal, last weekend we just took another small step towards that Cool  That's why I didn't hesitate to cut the rear suspension off the car last year and start again, what we had just wasn't going to get it done, I perservered with it for long enough to realise something was wrong and it wasn't going to fix itself!!

cheers Richie

cheers Richie

Jeff68

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 13:30:48 pm »

What a great accomplishment!! Cool I guess we all realize how much it takes to get a VW to run faster and most outside the VW world have no idea this is possible. A 12 second street car although a lot more common these days, is not easy to create but an 8 or 9 second car is an extremely high level of development.  What you (Mike Lawless as well, & Mexx )did / are doing is very cutting edge as you had to figure out how to do this (albeit with some help) yourself. Keep it going and great work!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 13:55:47 pm »

Congratulations on your achivement Richie!
Looking forward to seeing you do a low eight later this season!! Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
richie

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 14:18:18 pm »

Congratulations on your achivement Richie!
Looking forward to seeing you do a low eight later this season!! Smiley

Just make sure the track is good and we have a weekend of sun please Grin

cheers Richie

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: