The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 13:58:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  all kidding aside......WTF is up with "Hood rides?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: all kidding aside......WTF is up with "Hood rides?"  (Read 13201 times)
jasonx
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 23:47:03 pm »

It is an outgrowth of the rat rod movement. The problem with a lot of them is they are not really safe from what I have seen. Not really my thing either. I don't have a problem with cars that could be called beaters, heck my '67 probably falls into that catagory now. But these folks take it a bit far.

--louis

to me a beater is something that happens due to lack of time, money or both. these guys appear to take pride in ruining a car!! They are nowhere near safe, as far as I can tell. There were a few real screwballs that used to "build" crap like this in the Bay Area when I worked at BH. Same guys that never had jobs, always were filthy dirty from laying in gutter to scrabble under their cars to admire how they had worn the 6mm sump nuts flush with case....
An extreme case i remember.....the King of the Idiots....he had a barndoor Bus...and  did a backyard conversion to make the poor thing RHD and his goal was to get the Bus so low it would grind the steering box on the ground as he drove. Unfortunately, he succeded. He removed ALL of the torsion leaves in the beam, and used bungee cords to retain trailing arms into beam tubes. The only thing holding body up was the 125 temp tires rubbing inside fender wells.  Shocked
ARE THE INITIALS OF THIS PERSON JM
jasonx
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 23:50:18 pm »

$7000 for this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=479293

check out the "perfect running" 1776...yeah I'm sure it runs great with those gaping holes in rear tin.

I'm sure the 009 distributor and stock carb run great together too.

A $7K car that doesn't have the 95 cent bumper bracket grommets installed? Or how about an operating license plate light (no wire going to it)

"So cool....."

WTF?  Huh

I JUST LOVE GETTING THOSE (POS) ON THE RACK AT WORK Angry
jasonx
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 23:55:45 pm »

It is an outgrowth of the rat rod movement. The problem with a lot of them is they are not really safe from what I have seen. Not really my thing either. I don't have a problem with cars that could be called beaters, heck my '67 probably falls into that catagory now. But these folks take it a bit far.

--louis

to me a beater is something that happens due to lack of time, money or both. these guys appear to take pride in ruining a car!! They are nowhere near safe, as far as I can tell. There were a few real screwballs that used to "build" crap like this in the Bay Area when I worked at BH. Same guys that never had jobs, always were filthy dirty from laying in gutter to scrabble under their cars to admire how they had worn the 6mm sump nuts flush with case....
An extreme case i remember.....the King of the Idiots....he had a barndoor Bus...and  did a backyard conversion to make the poor thing RHD and his goal was to get the Bus so low it would grind the steering box on the ground as he drove. Unfortunately, he succeded. He removed ALL of the torsion leaves in the beam, and used bungee cords to retain trailing arms into beam tubes. The only thing holding body up was the 125 temp tires rubbing inside fender wells.  Shocked

No. His initials were Dave Gillis.
HOW SOON I FORGET
stealth67vw

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 00:41:07 am »

--louis

JM has a steady job now and only does drugs on the weekends! LOL

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
sheep

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 00:47:04 am »

Hey stealth67 it looks like someone is trying to copy your name.

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
stealth67vw

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 02:17:35 am »

Hey stealth67 I like your avatar. Where did you get it???

From the "Would You Hit It?" thread on the samba rants.  Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
stealth67vw

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 02:18:47 am »

Hey stealth67 it looks like someone is trying to copy your name.

It's probably the Chinese. Them sumbitches copy everything good. Roll Eyes

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Fritter

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 03:47:37 am »

I think thatīs a swedish 59 model. Unless the doors and rear fenders have been changed.
it has later doors 59's have pull door handles which this car has but you can see the hole in front of the handle for the later verison

As I said, it's a '60 guys!

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 20:37:26 pm »

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 16:21:57 pm »

Anyone read the editorial for the new HVWs? Goes along the same lines as the conversation we had here. I just thought it was interesting.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: