The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:43:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  I Beam Vs H Beam rods
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I Beam Vs H Beam rods  (Read 3941 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: July 17, 2007, 20:34:53 pm »

For a stock length VW rod is there an advantage of I Beam vs H Beam rods? (Figuring they both have the same bolts.)

Thanks,

--louis

PS: Man I have been pricing out cranks and rod combos lately and it seems everyone has their own cranks and rods out these days.

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:36:27 am »

Lots of people are quick to go with the H-beams; I'd be more comfortable with a good, quality set of worked VW rods than "inexpensive" H-beams.

If you're not planning on building a drag motor that sees constant abuse, I don't see the need for fancy rods.  I have a set of Rimco's Super Rods for my 2110 build.  They have SPS bolts, and I will have no reservations about them when the engine goes together.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Alan Uyeno

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:44:04 am »

I think majority of failures is the bolts not the rod itself.

Even if I was gonna build a mild motor I'd use Hbeams from CB (w/ arp2000) because the cost is only 220ish bucks.  Very cheap insurance for a decent quality rod. For another reasonably priced rod is the Scat H beams with 3/8 rodbolts (more abusive drag/street conrod).

Hbeams are much easier in the clearancing department. If you build a mild motor now. Then you can confidently swap the rods to an 82stroke wild motor later.

Cb has their Unitech HD plus with 3/8 rod bolts that would work with strokers. 

The Ideaman

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 16:53:52 pm »

I like Rimco's Super Rods, except they aren't a bargain any longer.  $175 plus a $20 core.  I realize the rod bolts have gotten expensive.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 19:03:15 pm »

Right now I am looking at an 82mm CB crank and stock length rods. The only H beams I have found in stock length are the Scat rods. (Though I am not sure that the difference between 5.375 and 5.4 will be much in the terms of engine behavior.)

It looks like the main issue then with stock rods is the amount of clearance that is needed for the big end. It gives me something to think about. Thanks for the input.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 20:01:12 pm »

Right now I am looking at an 82mm CB crank and stock length rods. The only H beams I have found in stock length are the Scat rods. (Though I am not sure that the difference between 5.375 and 5.4 will be much in the terms of engine behavior.)

It looks like the main issue then with stock rods is the amount of clearance that is needed for the big end. It gives me something to think about. Thanks for the input.

--louis

http://www.pauter.com/volkswagen.htm

lol, yeah I wish I had Pauter money too. Nice stuff though.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Ideaman

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 22:44:11 pm »

I think stock rods are 5.394"  That is only .006" between a stocker and the H beams.  Louis, I think you are giving this too much thought.  People have been using stock rods with a clearancing for 30+ years in stroker motors.  The only reason I don't use the Rimco supers on my new motor is their cost relative to a set of CB H beams.   I've personally seen 9000 rpm mouse motors with stock rods.  Rimco super rods were a deal when they were less than $100 a set!

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 13:57:02 pm »

Louis, I think you are giving this too much thought. 

Probably, its that whole OCD thing.  Cheesy I am mostly just fidgeting because I want to get started on the car and I am not at a point I can do much yet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: