The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 15:02:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Finnish billet heads
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Finnish billet heads  (Read 47392 times)
-Alex-

« on: June 19, 2013, 12:59:24 pm »

I'v been asked by finnish cnc machineshop to 3D cad develope a billet head for type 1 engine.  Would there be need for it? Head would be bare and available for 94mm and 101.6 cylinders and few other variations, like big or small ports, 6-stud bolt spacing etc.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:54:04 am by -Alex- » Logged

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 13:31:29 pm »

I think the Type 1 heads are well covered by numerous options already, just my opinion.

A nice Type 4 head however........
Kiel

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 14:44:31 pm »

yes, type 4...............
exportbug

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 14:46:34 pm »

Hello Alex,
very nice copy of my CNC head  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Best regards Thorsten

More information's on www.tp-technologie.de
-Alex-

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 14:54:53 pm »

Actually it was designed first to compete with JPM heads at last summer, Tommis Billet thought that they could make it cheaper than JPM.   Not exact copy of anybodys head, but resembles your heads, Thorsten  Cheesy But top fins are not high, no dual sparkplugs, two bore sizes, two portsizes may be offered.  

Finnish racers have asked 54x41 valves and 6-stud attachment and even designed for use of cheaper chevy valvetrain parts, LS series springs, retainers, valves and rockers
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 15:06:36 pm by -Alex- » Logged

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
Udo

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 16:40:20 pm »

Why do you want 54 valves and have not enough material to do the port for it. There are enough heads on the market for every need . Autocraft,Pauter,CB CD heads , JPM and bugpack super flow or angel flow . These cover all you need

Udo
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:52:50 am by Udo » Logged

-Alex-

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 16:43:38 pm »

I dont want 54x41 valves, i think we must put some limits before manufacturingin heads.

leec

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 18:07:25 pm »

Surely the cost to put these into production is massive, how do you expect to get those costs back when two people have already said the market covered. Admire your skills just not what I would put into production.
-Alex-

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 18:31:11 pm »

No, i am not by myself putting these to production.   That company is going to  Smiley  Owner of the company asked/suggested some specials features if we could have some advantages. Since anyway they want to make heads for two of their VW's, and i have a complete 3D model. I might get one head pair as a prototype from them.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:54:58 am by -Alex- » Logged

JS

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 19:00:53 pm »

The market will be there if you can offer something others don't. Performance - Quality - Price.
If the gains in one or more of these areas are not substantial, I think it the sales potential is very limited.

Signature.
-Alex-

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 19:09:26 pm »

Yes, i know.   It needs something special to offer, or it wont be a successfull.

-Alex-

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 08:51:30 am »

Possibly we get first head pair out of oven in a two next months, for the test engine.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 13:49:10 pm by -Alex- » Logged

UltraOrange67-2443

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:39 am »

I would prefer a bail clip type rocker cover.

1967 1200 2920cc EFI
-Alex-

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 11:58:51 am »

You can also use stock or aftermarket bail clip valvecovers.

richie

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:40 pm »

Possibly we get first head pair out of oven in a two next months, for the test engine.  

Excuse my ignorance, but knowing very little about the process why would you be getting the heads "out of the oven"  ? I thought they were billet not cast ? and if they are going to be ready for the test engine then have the heads been machined already? can you provide pictures? it would be interesting to see them in the raw just machined state. not being a computer person I don't see the details from a CAD drawing Shocked

And if they are that close then can you tell us how will they will differ from the JPM and TP heads?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
-Alex-

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 12:59:34 pm »

Sorry, i havent seen the machined version yet, i am also waiting.   "out of oven", just a saying Smiley

Ofcourse, heads are close / similar as TP and JPM heads, but as cnc machined, some alternative versions can be produced, if people want, almost anything is possible. 

richie

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 13:21:03 pm »

Sorry, i havent seen the machined version yet, i am also waiting.   "out of oven", just a saying Smiley

Ofcourse, heads are close / similar as TP and JPM heads, but as cnc machined, some alternative versions can be produced, if people want, almost anything is possible. 

Ok thankyou, so what port & chamber design, shape etc will you base them on?  say for a 4inch engine? will there be different chamber& port for turbo and N/A?

and do you have a rough idea on price yet?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
-Alex-

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 13:48:10 pm »

Yes, both 94/101.6 heads have different chambers, and any chamber design can be done, there should not be much extra cost, if not at all.

I cannot yet confirm the the price, because manufacturer will decide it.  But it will be around 2000€.  More manufacturing, less it costs.

I actually just designed the head for themselves, but of course i shall do all the modifications to the head at future.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:57:37 am by -Alex- » Logged

dragvw2180

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:14 am »

I hope this does not come off as being negative about your project but if I was going to put out the effort you will expend on this I would have tried to do something new instead of redoing a more than 20 year old design. Look at the intake  ports of the CB Strip Dominator , http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1606
           If the old Comp Eliminator ports were the ticket they would have just shifted the original castings to allow for bigger valves . I am NOT an engine or parts designer and your talents are far beyond mine but if I were going to invest myself in something like this I would talk to the best head porters near you, maybe not even VW related and get their ideas and start with a clean slate. Good luck with your project , Mike McCarthy
Udo

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 11:37:43 am »

This is something that i do not understand too why people still do this 20 year old intake design that other still make ... makes no sense
except Johannes who changed it a little. Or a set of CB cnc heads
Udo

-Alex-

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 13:38:55 pm »

I do have other model, which has 910 style intakes, but its far from complete..  However, it is possible to have heads with this style of ports.

Manufacturer and i havent really  talked about different style of ports yet.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 13:40:33 pm by -Alex- » Logged

Eddie DVK

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 13:49:59 pm »

This is something that i do not understand too why people still do this 20 year old intake design that other still make ... makes no sense
Udo

Exactly, what I don t understand is why nobody makes a new x (cross) head like the Porsche 911 heads, inlet port and exhaust port in one line. They would flow much better, right?
And not like the vw heads with a step, type 1 from vertical inlet to horizontal step to the horizontal exhaust , or the type 4 from vertical with horizontal step to vertical exhaust.  (hope it makes sense what I wrote)
I know the difficulty is what kind of cam valve train (rockers) would you use.

But most of those x heads like alfa s, fords, Renault's make around 200HP out of 2.0 liter engines.

Regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
JJ Cool L Racing

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 13:58:46 pm »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1367599
wph

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 15:06:52 pm »

Udo

Exactly, what I don t understand is why nobody makes a new x (cross) head like the Porsche 911 heads, inlet port and exhaust port in one line. They would flow much better, right?
And not like the vw heads with a step, type 1 from vertical inlet to horizontal step to the horizontal exhaust , or the type 4 from vertical with horizontal step to vertical exhaust.  (hope it makes sense what I wrote)
I know the difficulty is what kind of cam valve train (rockers) would you use.

But most of those x heads like alfa s, fords, Renault's make around 200HP out of 2.0 liter engines.

Regards Edgar

Typ 1 engine platform does not allow crossflow- design due to pushrod location. How ever, it is possible to improve flow and combustion properties of inline valve head like JPM and various other manufacturers have done. Personally I have never liked the existing combustion chamber design of  OEM style and many aftermarket heads due to a fact that they do not support proper pressure recovery of intake flow. This is where I see the CNC- head would be able to “shine” especially when you combine it with a better valve location for both intake and exhaust. Valve train may need some drastic changes and new thinking, for manifolding and valve covers I’d choose something that is already available. If you look at the state of the art 2- valve pushrod engines (Nascar, NHRA & IHRA Prostock and latest inline V8 castings)  it's easy to see the direction to shoot for. Production and marketing will always limit the final design, CNC would add flexibility.     
drgouk

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 15:10:58 pm »

flow bench and a pitot.
Shag55

Shag Leone, SL-1racing

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 16:13:38 pm »

One if not the most important improvement should be rocker arm set up. Just look at the Component
Development heads Roger has or the one offs that Mexx has done. Longer fulcrum length and higher ratios as well as split shafts and 3 rocker studs per side.

325hp and 290# torque @17psi on 91 pump
383hp and 324# torque @23psi on 50/50 mix
Shag55.sl1racing@gmail.com
Facebook at SL 1 racing
wph

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 16:25:53 pm »

One if not the most important improvement should be rocker arm set up. Just look at the Component
Development heads Roger has or the one offs that Mexx has done. Longer fulcrum length and higher ratios as well as split shafts and 3 rocker studs per side.

x 2, complimented with a camshaft profile which takes a full advantage of vw's large diameter mushroom lifters or a roller cam.
Frallan

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 16:00:22 pm »

Engineering friend of mine that did the joint venture of Gene Berg crankshafts with cores forged in Sweden (and the GB rocker arms), did a 911 style casting core for either OHC or pushrod solution.
This was for VW 4 cylinder application. Very much lookalike to 911 and large 2 valve solution.
It was done in the early 1980´s.

My suspicion is that the al cast cores still are in California where they were 5-6 years ago.

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 01:00:38 am »

Personally I have never liked the existing combustion chamber design of  OEM style and many aftermarket heads due to a fact that they do not support proper pressure recovery of intake flow.

Sink the valves, then radius the seats into the chamber.
wph

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 01:40:59 am »

Personally I have never liked the existing combustion chamber design of  OEM style and many aftermarket heads due to a fact that they do not support proper pressure recovery of intake flow.

Sink the valves, then radius the seats into the chamber.

It sure helps but you'll need a continuous shape from the top seat angle to the edge of quench area.
Most of the combustion chambers are too flat on the floor and there's not enough material around the seats
to create a shape which supports high lift flow and even seat discharge distribution. Chamber shape can be used to manipulate
velocity profile of the port making it even more important. Some flat roof, 4- valve combustion chambers are also welded
and shaped like a clover leaf for the same reason

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:49:30 am by wph » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: