The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:13:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Finnish billet heads
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Finnish billet heads  (Read 47390 times)
Eddie DVK

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 11:55:40 am »

Engineering friend of mine that did the joint venture of Gene Berg crankshafts with cores forged in Sweden (and the GB rocker arms), did a 911 style casting core for either OHC or pushrod solution.
This was for VW 4 cylinder application. Very much lookalike to 911 and large 2 valve solution.
It was done in the early 1980īs.

My suspicion is that the al cast cores still are in California where they were 5-6 years ago.

Whoo those would be interesting. Any pics of those.

Ps I have seen pics of your engines on the typ4forum, also those type 4 with porsche overhead cams, nice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 14:36:07 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
-Alex-

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 18:04:47 pm »

Unfortunately there has been some delay by the manufacturer, but the heads will be made. I'v done minor changes to the head 3D model. Very eager too see how first pair of head will assemble & work at test engine.   I havent yet tried the solidworks flowXpress allthough..

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,22351.0.html

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
morkrieger

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 20:08:21 pm »

Personally I have never liked the existing combustion chamber design of  OEM style and many aftermarket heads due to a fact that they do not support proper pressure recovery of intake flow.

Sink the valves, then radius the seats into the chamber.

It sure helps but you'll need a continuous shape from the top seat angle to the edge of quench area.
Most of the combustion chambers are too flat on the floor and there's not enough material around the seats
to create a shape which supports high lift flow and even seat discharge distribution. Chamber shape can be used to manipulate
velocity profile of the port making it even more important. Some flat roof, 4- valve combustion chambers are also welded
and shaped like a clover leaf for the same reason

WPH, what are your thoughts on this chamber shape?  Smiley

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
wph

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 08:37:21 am »

Personally I have never liked the existing combustion chamber design of  OEM style and many aftermarket heads due to a fact that they do not support proper pressure recovery of intake flow.

Sink the valves, then radius the seats into the chamber.

It sure helps but you'll need a continuous shape from the top seat angle to the edge of quench area.
Most of the combustion chambers are too flat on the floor and there's not enough material around the seats
to create a shape which supports high lift flow and even seat discharge distribution. Chamber shape can be used to manipulate
velocity profile of the port making it even more important. Some flat roof, 4- valve combustion chambers are also welded
and shaped like a clover leaf for the same reason

WPH, what are your thoughts on this chamber shape?  Smiley

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I see no other reason for that shape other than lowering compression. Stagnant, flat area behind top seat angle and a reduced squish area.
What the h*** were they thinking, not a high performance item. 
K-Roc

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 18:08:11 pm »

There is no consideration to flame travel and port flow in thiat chamber.................
Udo

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 12:01:57 pm »

Why do people cut those pockets that we weld up on type 4 914 engines ?? Looks bad - sorry

Udo

-Alex-

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 08:40:38 am »

Unfortunately there has no been any progress at this summer, i havent got contact to the machine shop at this summer... So i dont what is going on, they have allthough my head 3D cad model.

I have some plans of course, but time will tell.

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
-Alex-

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:51 am »

I'v got an opportunity to get billet heads with 92/94/101.6 etc bore and small or big ports.  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 17:32:14 pm by -Alex- » Logged

-Alex-

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:01 am »

I do have coarse model with 910 ports, i could draw more finished version and ask cnc machining price. What is the angle of intake flange?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 13:34:04 pm by -Alex- » Logged

-Alex-

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 19:08:59 pm »

Started to ask again from machine shops, we will see if its possible to make them at affordable prices..

-Alex

Udo

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 17:26:45 pm »

I do have coarse model with 910 ports, i could draw more finished version and ask cnc machining price. What is the angle of intake flange?

Smiley looks like you are on the right way

Udo

-Alex-

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 21:12:48 pm »

Does anybody nice guy know the manifold angle at 910 heads? Smiley

-Alex-

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 21:24:16 pm »

I once designed two flanges for lounge member ang got made (dont remember anymore who), but these flange dimensions i have:

Udo

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 15:57:19 pm »

Does anybody nice guy know the manifold angle at 910 heads? Smiley

The angle is 30 degreese

Udo

-Alex-

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 20:21:39 pm »

Ok thanks, i think its different at the CE style heads.

Udo

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 06:41:28 am »

CE and superflow have 45

Udo

Stev

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 17:58:05 pm »

Sorry for posting on an old Thread!

Hi Udo,

are you sure that the angle is 45 degree? I think it is 35 degree. I looked after the angle because i need it for the manifolds.

Regards
Steven

Looking for a flanged crankshaft, all type 4 main bearings and a flywheel for KEP clutch. Stroke 84 till 88. The bigger the better ;-)
-Alex-

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 23:13:46 pm »

Hello,

the angle is 35 degrees.

I am on the verge of getting made two sets of heads, both 101.6 bore.

Still thinking about material. Possibly 6061 T651 or 6082 T651 which is easier to get in Europe. Seems that most US billet head manufacturers use 6061 T6, but these are V8 heads..

I have been searching temperature versus tensile strength charts, so far found 6063, 6061, A356 and 6082 charts.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 17:08:56 pm by -Alex- » Logged

hotstreetvw

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 04:45:48 am »

Alex, have you considered changing the rocker setup from the 2 stud to 5 stud or 6 stud?

My 910s have T&D rockers.  They are on two separate shafts, one for each cylinder.  Each shaft is held down by three studs.  They entire assembly sits in a steel cradle, that is bolt into the head.

I don't think I've seen valve lengths, or spring diameters.  But I would definitely take it into consideration.  1.550 spring diameters, very long valves to allow for mucho lift.  Rocker placement to allow for correct geometry when used with very high lift, tall rocker box, etc.

I've ported intake manifolds, clearance cases, etc, but when I assembled my 2724 with Geers/Autocraft 910s, and used the Geers engineering valve covers, I had to port the valve covers because the rocker arm adjuster screw would rub.

That brings me to another consideration, they look like stock VW valve covers, but I would suggest using the autocraft geometry and their valve cover.  depending on the valve cover, you will get 5 or 6 studs, oring seal.  I've seen on some of Jaycee's engines they weld a plate to an 044 head that adapts to a 910 valve cover.

Udo

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 10:27:34 am »

Did i look for the autocraft angel because of your drawing ? I would not make any more heads with super flow intake. there are so many on the market that work , autocraft intake would give an advantage in the flow

Udo

-Alex-

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2018, 10:09:42 am »

Design has currently 5-bolt attachment for rocker setup.  Almost any valvespring will fit, as the the pocket size can be changed up to 40mm without any extra price or problems.
Current design uses 117mm length valves but longer valves can be fitted. Valvecovers are billet design with O-ring and stock bails which allow pauter rockers even with 54x40 valves.

Alex, have you considered changing the rocker setup from the 2 stud to 5 stud or 6 stud?

My 910s have T&D rockers.  They are on two separate shafts, one for each cylinder.  Each shaft is held down by three studs.  They entire assembly sits in a steel cradle, that is bolt into the head.

I don't think I've seen valve lengths, or spring diameters.  But I would definitely take it into consideration.  1.550 spring diameters, very long valves to allow for mucho lift.  Rocker placement to allow for correct geometry when used with very high lift, tall rocker box, etc.

I've ported intake manifolds, clearance cases, etc, but when I assembled my 2724 with Geers/Autocraft 910s, and used the Geers engineering valve covers, I had to port the valve covers because the rocker arm adjuster screw would rub.

That brings me to another consideration, they look like stock VW valve covers, but I would suggest using the autocraft geometry and their valve cover.  depending on the valve cover, you will get 5 or 6 studs, oring seal.  I've seen on some of Jaycee's engines they weld a plate to an 044 head that adapts to a 910 valve cover.

-Alex-

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2018, 21:05:17 pm »

First pair of Type 1 billet heads are ready. These heads will go with 50x40 type 4 valves to street/strip 90x101.6=2919cc engine which will run with E85 fuel.

We will be using stock bails with billet valvecovers, but valvecover seal flange at bottom ends have smaller radius, this will make possible to have up to 54x40 valves with pauter rockers.

-Alex-

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 08:59:03 am »

I 'v got the first time now the billet head to my own hands from my friend.

2mm thick and with 3mm gap the cooling fins look very good.

Ports have good size short side radius and very little porting to be done. At end of this year, heads will go the hearporter to get finished and for flowbench testing.

Tested Pauter 1.4 rockers and they fit very well, roller end of the rocker is at center of the valvestem.

Got one valvecover from my friend who made them with 3 Axis CNC machine, they fit very tight and bails work like on stock valvecovers.

Overall quality of the heads is nice, but i was hoping a bit improvement at machining quality if order my own heads from Elmer Racing later at this year, as they have better tools and experience. Material would be 6082 T651

https://www.facebook.com/ElmerRacingDotCom/

Heads can be either 94mm bore or 101.6mm bore, ports for 48x38, 50x40 or 54x40 valves or specific setup. 54x40 choice needs exhaust valves moved outwards about 1,5-2mm.

Chamber on the 101.6mm head is about 55-58cc

Chamber on the 94mm head is about 50-53cc

ovaldriver56

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2019, 13:04:11 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: