The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 14:31:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Happenings
| |-+  Happenings
| | |-+  EBI#6 who´s going?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EBI#6 who´s going?  (Read 30833 times)

« on: July 04, 2013, 13:33:09 pm »

In 2015 that is :-(

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 23:25:06 pm »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:18:59 am by Ron Elliot » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Scoops

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:57 am »

It also seems to be getting a bit 'bug jam' ish..... Sad
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:01:24 am »

That's a bit difficult to solve, as they need punters to make a profit, no profit = no show!  but donuts at 5am is a bit much.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Rocket Ron

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:24:27 am »

To be quite honest I love the show, the evening entertainment you can take or leave depending on you taste.  Choose your camping spot well and i don't see the noise as a problem

The mix of cars and the general atmosphere can't be found anywhere else but To be dealing with a water on the track on the day the show opens is a bit poor, when this could have been sorted well before the show opened.

I personally think the problem was something to do with the timing equipment on that side of the track as the surface looked dry on the way back from the collecting area at the end of the strip

But what do I know !!

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 14:53:02 pm »

The problem was not one that could be solved on the weekend, short of calling in the road builders and getting them to dig up the surface, seal off the underground spring and relay the tarmac. That should only take half an hour, right? It was nothing to do with timing equipment...

The trouble was that the spring only came to light when the track was dried off enough to race on Saturday (remember the rain ahead of the event?). The new road surface (remember this is a public road first, road race circuit second and drag strip a distant third) was too coarse to dry simply by sweeping etc – it relied on evaporation, which is not easy with damp air and low temperatures.

Lee Childs, who looked after the track prep, was prepared to overlook a damp section which equated to one tyre revolution in length but the affected area measured over two revolutions long. He has more experience than anyone here and he is the one who wants to stop people (and cars) getting hurt.

Chimay will only ever be a 'fun' track – anyone who expects otherwise is bound to be disappointed.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 17:49:14 pm »

Bring the show over here , Shakey a great venue
http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/
 loads of room for a show camping events etc , not hidden track problems with a proper return road and the guy's there are real helpful .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Matty c

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 20:22:24 pm »

I was thinking the same, & I stopped going there a long time ago because of the "party crowd"

loads of room for a show camping events etc , not hidden track problems with a proper return road and the guy's there are real helpful .

Great idea Glenn, I really do think it needs to be held at a real drag strip also the lack of spectator seating was a real issue. Unless you got to the "strip" early all the seats & banking was so full it was hard to even get a view of the racing which is the sole reason I go. Just my two cents,
Matt

67heaven
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 22:43:56 pm »

Last time I went to EBI was number 3 & I felt then it would out grow Chimay

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:01:36 am by Black Sheep » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:02:08 am »

The concept of Euro bug-in is simple, a large venue, multiple activities, a track to do some racing and in a central location to maximise participation.

As much as I agree about he track, it is not the sole purpose of the event.  Moving it to Avon Park will solve the track problem, but it will create another, its location is no longer central and I just don't see 1000's of Europeans travelling all that way,  You also have to remember it is now linked to Bad Camberg and Hessisch, so making a weeks holiday especially for the family is easier to do.  My wife suggested moving it further south therefore improving the weather and no longer having rain as an issue.

I just don't see an easy solution, I will attend the next EBI, why? because despite all its flaws it is still the best all round VW show in Europe.

Rocket Ron

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:10 pm »

Thanks for the full story Keith

I understand that Chimay will never be a full blown drag strip and it does amaze me that poeple are prepared to run some of the more powerful cars there. The decision to run the single lane I'm sure was the correct one for the conditions

My gripe is with the lack of information on the weekend and with fact that knowing that cars would be running there that weekend there wasn't more interest in making sure it would be possible to do so earlier in the week.

There had obviously been some wet weather in the days before ebi. The crew were trying to sort the track on Friday and this I agree was conpounded by the rain on Friday night but i do know a little about drainage and road building and it is possible to address a ground water problem without cutting up Tarmac where the water exits with minimal work, exquipment and in a surprisingly short period of time.

I like others appreciate the time that kobus and this crew put into getting this event organised, I think they were badly let down by the track owners.

My car is never going to set any records and maybe I'm a lone voice, but please consider this, yes I will probably return, will I take my car to run down the track,, probably not, will there be others like me ? Possibly, there were already less participation from companies and race cars this year.

will this change the special atmosphere of ebi, that you will have to make your own mind up. I hope not

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

AlexB

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 13:38:41 pm »

I think it would be a shame to move Ebi away from Chimay - it works well as a venue, I know the Drag strip is nothing anyone is going to break records on but the atmosphere and cameraderie with other racers at this event is second to none. I can imagine that most of the problem with the track this year was down weather in the weeks running up to the event - the whole site was pretty damp underfoot on thursday when we arrived and it seemed they had seen wetter weather than we had in the uk - the last 2 shows at chimay have been very dry and we have been spoiled in a way that we expect it to be 'perfect' sadly this time it was not to be - but thats life !
I feel that moving it to the Uk would kill the event as many of the european visitors would not come over - plus all of the uk camper driving 'Vw festival' crowd would come along - having the channel in the way tends to keep them away from Chimay  Grin

Roll on Ebi 6 - I will be there  Smiley
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 19:14:59 pm »

We already have a similar show to EBI here in the UK it's called Bug Jam don't see to many Europeans coming over for that.

As Mike has said EBI has turned into a week long show, that would be hard to do over here in the UK.

Keep EBI in main land Europe guys.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Udo

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 19:18:31 pm »

That is a good idea

Udo

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 22:12:06 pm »

I think it would be a shame to move Ebi away from Chimay - it works well as a venue, I know the Drag strip is nothing anyone is going to break records on but the atmosphere and cameraderie with other racers at this event is second to none. I can imagine that most of the problem with the track this year was down weather in the weeks running up to the event - the whole site was pretty damp underfoot on thursday when we arrived and it seemed they had seen wetter weather than we had in the uk - the last 2 shows at chimay have been very dry and we have been spoiled in a way that we expect it to be 'perfect' sadly this time it was not to be - but thats life !
I feel that moving it to the Uk would kill the event as many of the european visitors would not come over - plus all of the uk camper driving 'Vw festival' crowd would come along - having the channel in the way tends to keep them away from Chimay  Grin

Roll on Ebi 6 - I will be there  Smiley
We already have a similar show to EBI here in the UK it's called Bug Jam don't see to many Europeans coming over for that.

As Mike has said EBI has turned into a week long show, that would be hard to do over here in the UK.

Keep EBI in main land Europe guys.

The concept of Euro bug-in is simple, a large venue, multiple activities, a track to do some racing and in a central location to maximise participation.

As much as I agree about he track, it is not the sole purpose of the event.  Moving it to Avon Park will solve the track problem, but it will create another, its location is no longer central and I just don't see 1000's of Europeans travelling all that way,  You also have to remember it is now linked to Bad Camberg and Hessisch, so making a weeks holiday especially for the family is easier to do.  My wife suggested moving it further south therefore improving the weather and no longer having rain as an issue.

I just don't see an easy solution, I will attend the next EBI, why? because despite all its flaws it is still the best all round VW show in Europe.

Pahh ! with the right organization of which the ebi crew have in spades a show at shakey could be perfect , Cal look drag day certainly aint no bug jam , with all the other atractions ebi would bring this would be a top venue , all you got to do is say no to pricks with sub station powered PA's till 4am and control the 5am donut drifting brigade and it'll be fine .
  I'm not buying the location bit , its very not a any further from the channel than we have to travel when we arrive into Dunkirk and there's a fair few anglophiles who happily make the pilgrimage to Chimey & if you wanna make a holiday of it for johny foreigner stick it right up next to a show like Peppercorn or Stanford hall .
Sits back to wait for the abuse
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 22:26:20 pm by Black Sheep » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
Flow

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 22:24:17 pm »

Move EBI in the UK and you'll lost 3/4 of the participant...  Sad

And I don't think UK is a better place than Belgium if ou want a good weather...  Roll Eyes

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 22:30:07 pm »

Move EBI in the UK and you'll lost 3/4 of the participant...  Sad

And I don't think UK is a better place than Belgium if ou want a good weather...  Roll Eyes

quantity doesn't necessarily follow with quality oh and it was 26 degrees today
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 22:32:12 pm by Black Sheep » Logged

13.03 @ 98mph
AlexB

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 22:51:37 pm »

quantity doesn't necessarily follow with quality oh and it was 26 degrees today

For the first time in about 4 years LOL  Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 22:55:53 pm »

I remember one idea in the early days of EBI was to have it at Chimay on alternate years then somewhere else floating for the in between years, maybe alternating between Shakey, somewhere in France, a German location etc.
I loved EBI 1, and the only thing stopping me from going again is that it's in term time.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:13 am »

I remember one idea in the early days of EBI was to have it at Chimay on alternate years then somewhere else floating for the in between years, maybe alternating between Shakey, somewhere in France, a German location etc.
I loved EBI 1, and the only thing stopping me from going again is that it's in term time.

Doesn't stop me!  Getting home at midnight on the sunday before work is a killer, but otherwise its fine.

Neil Davies

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 07:22:00 am »

Doesn't stop me!  Getting home at midnight on the sunday before work is a killer, but otherwise its fine.

When we did it our plane back was delayed - at 12.30am we were still at the airport waiting for our flight! Shocked  It is do-able flying, but I'd like to take a car out there one year.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rocket Ron

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:53 am »

Nothing wrong with Chimay

Just be nice to have two lanes

Apologies for taking this thread sideways

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:11 am »

Neil i drive, not as far as you, but you are only another couple of hours away, could leave a little earlier than me.  I leave EBI at 4.30pm to catch 7pm ferry.

Glenn it would make no difference to you where it was held, you wouldnt be allowed to go anyway. Tongue

Russell

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

Ron, Glenn

We need to talk !

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
taffy apple

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 21:10:30 pm »

Awesome event, its the 4th one me and my wife have attended, this was the first time we have taken a car to race and probably the last. We would do ebi again but without a car.
All day with no rain Friday and still no racing, and then when we did get on the track only half track saturday and then full track the next both days only one lane was a little disappointing when you've dragged your car for eleven hours.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:24 am »

EBI is an awesome show, and the Chimay location just adds to the aura of awesomeness that you just don't get here in the UK (maybe that's because Continental Europe seems so different to the UK) but the track should be viewed as a bonus or exhibition strip. Apart from that, I've lost count of the amount of weekends at the strip I've attended where due to mother nature or other circumstances beyond the organisers control, action on the strip hasn't delivered, and It should be said that water rising from below ground has been an issue at at least one track in the UK.

As for the Bug Jam crowd, the truth is that at any 'show' you're going to get it. One of the reasons we do the Cal Look Drag Day the way we do is to maintain an event which concentrates on the strip action without the distractions of what has come to be known as a VW show these days. We have a lot of fun mind you Wink and agree that Shakey is a fantastic venue! Really enjoyed the move to Shakey with Drag Day this year and we'll be back there in 2014!

EBI 2015? I'm definitely in, especially since preparing for a house move scuppered my chances of going this year!

fastfred

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:03 am »

Hello guys, getting back from chimay and getting everything done and sorted out was quite (another) adventure ... but now i have found this thread on the callook forum that really grabs my attention. I really want to thank everybody who was there, on the 5th edition of the euro bug in. it was a blast for me, seeing all those people getting ready to go dragracing, off road racing, or slalomming, or just detailing their cars to get ready for the show and shine ...

anyway, i read here above that there is some less positively opinions on how the racetrack behaved ... we'll, we're truly sorry, the weather this year really fucked up ... even when not raining there was a wet patch that came back, ... and (read the answer from keith seume above!!!) messed up the racing planning. Lee is a very professional guy in what he does, we pay him good bucks to have a SAFE opinion about the racetrack. and we always believe him.

the main culprit is not us, the timing guys nor Lee keeping you from racing, but the (not so excellent) weather in combination with the track tha is an open road, and not a track like SANTA POD, as there is alot of referring to this track. However, i saw a timing slip from the guys at HOTROD DUISBURG (N/A!) that said 9.475 on the 1/4m that is almost warpspeed in my honest opinion on a track like CHIMAY, and shows there is potential ...

I hope that you guys had a good weekend otherwise, and had good fun, and i think so, because i saw alot of smiley faces ... and that's why we do it !

I read the complete thread, and we will surely try to get things better, but we have or limitations on the open road as-is in CHIMAY ... We do cater for some more hard core racing as described above in Bitburg ... the DAS DRAG DAY will cater for the most of you if you are 100% racing. We try not to have tradestands, and loud music (we shut the music at 01.00AM) nor people doing burnouts and donuts at 5 am ...

now i surely want to thank Russel for being over at CHIMAY. even when i did see and talked to him like two nanoseconds on the weekend, i hope Russel knows we are appreciating ALOT coming over, and SURELY the OFF racing team and ALOT of other BRITS who are coming over (spank me if i'm forgetting somebody !)

please do not hesitate to contact us on info@europeanbugin.com for more info, feedback, or input ! A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU !

PS i'd really get to know who was doing those donuts at 5 am in the morning ? can anybody inform me about this Huh

FREDDYFILES 2012 on MARCH 11th !
JS

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 12:55:47 pm »

a little disappointing when you've dragged your car for eleven hours.

Good thing you only had a short way to go then.

Signature.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 20:22:06 pm »

I love Bug in honest I do , even dragged my sorry old nail out there once .

Just putting my two cent's out there  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
stussyrich

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 23:03:17 pm »

It also s to be getting a bit 'bug jam' ish..... Sad

That's a bit difficult to solve, as they need punters to make a profit, no profit = no show!  but donuts at 5am is a bit much.

Cal look drag day is non profit. It's all about the racing and the people who attend.
No VIP areas. No idiots. And a free t shirt and welcome pack and breakfast for all racers.
Amazing venue.
Problem solved.
See you all there next year

Oh and I will be back at EBI 6 as I always enjoy it in every way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 15:49:52 pm by stussyrich » Logged

Lil Stink Hound.. 2332 IDA. 11.78 @ 112mph.

Turbo Notch.. 2332 Turbo 10.2 @ 137mph.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: