The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:04:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  angle boring heads?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: angle boring heads?  (Read 2341 times)
henry roberts

« on: July 28, 2013, 05:34:37 am »

has anyone, when boring heads to suit larger cylinders, tried cutting the new face at an angle to either increase the angle of the valves to unshroud one side further or increase the flat surface for squish?

unfortunately I have neither the skills or tools to try it for myself, let alone test if it makes a positive or negative difference.

btw as a quick introduction, i'm henry from nsw Australia.
fish

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:44 am »

You mean fly cutting off square? Send me a pm I'm in Sydney and may be able to guide you.

Ben

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
LGK

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 18:16:24 pm »

has anyone, when boring heads to suit larger cylinders, tried cutting the new face at an angle to either increase the angle of the valves to unshroud one side further or increase the flat surface for squish?

unfortunately I have neither the skills or tools to try it for myself, let alone test if it makes a positive or negative difference.

btw as a quick introduction, i'm henry from nsw Australia.

Hi Henri,

Been there,done that myself.Lot's of work taking into consideration you need to relocate the pushrodtube-holes on the head,also need to remachine the rocker-pedestrals,also relocate the studs on the exhaust-flanges(or modify your exhaust),and not to forget remachining the studs+manifold-surface on the head back to correct angle...after that you may get into trubles with your pushrodtubes as they will touch/come way to close to the fins underneath the head,and if you managed to solve that one you can start modifying the tinware to make that fit  Grin
Otherwise you can just try to find some scat-splitport heads,because that's exactly what they did with those heads,can't remember the exact angle in degrees,but i know they had the valves more perpendicular to the piston top.

If you ask me the results? Well the heads are still waiting in a corner to have a decent valvejob and maybe one day i will put them on an engine after they got tested on the flowbench.
Will it be worth all the hassle? Who knows...

regards Steve

henry roberts

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 23:36:21 pm »

thanks. I realized there would be a lot of other work needed but didn't even consider the rocker geometry.

thanks for the offer fish, but it was only a theoretical enquiry, there are HEAPS of other things my heads would benefit from more. like proper port/valve/chamber work, or simply binning and replacing with better more modern heads.   Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: