The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 13:01:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Head stud removal (+ flying ants) = problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Head stud removal (+ flying ants) = problem  (Read 1327 times)
spoolin70

« on: August 06, 2013, 22:18:43 pm »

WARNING ! This post contains ant death. If you have an ant farm, ant affiliation or ant fetish,
DO NOT read on.

My aluminium case came with 16x head studs already fitted but due to it going away soon for 6 studding, they all need to come out.
The  studs have had little use so the plan is to re-use them while adding the same brand extra 8x

So I'm in the garage an hour ago, double nuts on the first stud,
butane/propane torch warming the case around the stud and the last inch of the stud also.
The stud does eventually start turning but it's tight, real tight (I work on commercial boilers and have lots of practice hanging off bolts/nuts)

Then the problems start. The case saver that is in pretty deep comes out with the stud.
While I'm giving the now removed case saver the evil eye, flying ants start emerging from behind a big cupboard. With the torch still firing away I decided what any caveman would do,
and flame the little buggers as the crawled to freedom. Only after one landed on my shoulder and not thinking I nearly cremated it, that I figured this was not only a waste of gas but also a tad dangerous.
I know one thing though, ant powder ain't half as much fun !

Sooo, is the case saver coming out that bad and how can I avoid it happening with the other 15 ?
I can get some map gas that burns hotter ?
How about warming the case only then cooling the stud ?

Any tips or tricks warmly accepted (warmly geddit ha ha)

Thanks
Darren

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: