The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:11:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Anybody remember these cars from Hot VWs? I do...but barely.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Anybody remember these cars from Hot VWs? I do...but barely.  (Read 21489 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: July 23, 2007, 22:21:26 pm »

Turbo street car, sort of a light blue, polished Porsche cookie cutters, some type of signwriting down the side. Turbo 1776 with sidedraft Weber.
Was in late 80's Hot VWs, I think.

Another turbo street car....kind of a faint aqua blue-green...I seem to remember 911 alloys (?), turbo motor with white header pipes....I remember there were pics of the body off the pan...very clean and well set up car from what I can remember....which isn't much.

Does anybody remember these cars too? How about scanning features of these cars and sharing with us? most appreciated....

Thanks in advance,
Jim
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 23:41:37 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Stephan S

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 22:41:09 pm »

Another turbo street car....kind of a faint aqua blue-green...I seem to remember 911 alloys (?), turbo motor with white header pipes....I remember there were pics of the body off the pan...very clean and well set up car from what I can remember....which isn't much.

That's probably Mark Akulian's Oval Ragtop! This was the car of my dreams back in the '80s. Aqua blue paint, Porsche alloys, turbocharged 2175cc by KRE. Danny Gabbard was working on his latest Bug a couple of years ago. As far as I know, Mark is still working on it.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 00:19:26 am »

I wrote a story about that car for a European magazine (Super VW) back in 1988. Got to scan it or take a picture of it!
I remember seing that car at an Intershow event (one of Al Martinez's deals) around the same time. I was in shock! I also remember Dyno Don selling a gorgeous red fully restored Oval at the same event for $10,000. Back then, I thought that was insane money.

Der Kleiner Panzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:02:33 am »

i will scan the report jim

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 09:24:05 am »

here we go   Wink
jim if you want this one in high res. send me a mail i will send you the report  Wink
rgd
fabian

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:28:55 am »

i like that car at that time very cool   Shocked

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 16:48:35 pm »

this's the report  who was in the super vw n°5   Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 22:49:53 pm »

jim i found the report in  Wink hot vws

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 22:56:56 pm »

there's a real empi camber compensator on under the gearbox mark chromed it  Shocked

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 22:58:57 pm »

Grin

Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 23:07:29 pm »

still a cool car. Interior is dated, but detailing of motor and pan are still cool. Betcha it was fast! Thanks fabs!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 23:09:39 pm »

de nada amigo  Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 23:12:56 pm »

find any other cars from late 80's-early 90's Hot VWs we might enjoy? I remember a cool green Karmann Ghia with big motor, twin turbo mufflers, polished alloys. Also Wade's black '67 street and strip car was a real standout!!! If you can find and post, we'd all appreciate. Thank you speedwell,

Jim  Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 08:29:43 am »

Does make you wonder what happened to some of these old cars. That oval only needs some very minor changes and it would look bang up to date. Detail the wheels, tweak the stance, etc... Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
streetvw

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 08:31:54 am »

I don't know if it was featured in hotVW's but one car that sticks in my mind was a pale blue small window on polished fusch's,  if I remember it correctly it was a 59 that was built/owned by twin brothers. it was featured in custom car in the UK perhaps KS can remember.
Also what about Mike smiths red 67 with flat 4 BRM's and a nitrous fed 1776cc motor from the 90's was in the same edition as Scott Smith's and Angie Vonderhurst's(spelling) 67's

anything of these cars would be cool  Wink
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 09:04:16 am »

Pitty that when my parents house partially burned down all my hot vw's and vw trends went up in smoke and here in holland you cannot buy hot vw's anymore.
I wil try to get them from the UK via Vwcollectables. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 18:18:22 pm »

i also sold mark A.'s turbo car as well... along with scores of others in a time when the economy dictated better buying power elsewhere besides the U.S./ after advertising many and not getting any response back...anyone remember my 69 candy apple red turbo ghia ..?? ....dyno don
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 19:34:21 pm »

i also sold mark A.'s turbo car as well... along with scores of others in a time when the economy dictated better buying power elsewhere besides the U.S./ after advertising many and not getting any response back...anyone remember my 69 candy apple red turbo ghia ..?? ....dyno don

yeah I remember the turbo Ghia, I remember asking you about it @ Classic '91 and loved that car. Hopefully speedwell will find the feature on that car!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 20:28:46 pm »

Dyno, you jumped the railroad tracks in front of SCS with me in the passenger seat in that ghia.

I also park at Nick's.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 21:15:05 pm »

dyno have you some picture of your notch with the american racing torq trust 5x205  Huh Huh
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 16:53:37 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 16:54:52 pm »

dyno i found this in  hot vws classified  Grin 11,504.99$$$$$ Shocked

dyno don
DKK

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 17:19:06 pm »

...is there anything your NOT on top of..??....wow..i think you know more about yank history than we do...LOL...keep up the good work..!!    marks A's car was cool and fun to drive for only a brief moment until the detonation took over..OUCH..!!..RAILROAD TRACKS>john..that was only on a 8lb boost ride if i remember and apologize if i scared you for life...LOL...that  notch was my second and was after my bracket racer days and 2 of 12 that i have owned..RATTO.. completely rebuilt and changed many things on the ghia after you saw it at the classic that time/many stories from those days...balls to the walls..!!! NEVER beaten by car or motorcylce..!!  dyno don
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 17:21:29 pm »

...is there anything your NOT on top of..??....wow..i think you know more about yank history than we do...LOL...keep up the good work..!!    marks A's car was cool and fun to drive for only a brief moment until the detonation took over..OUCH..!!..RAILROAD TRACKS>john..that was only on a 8lb boost ride if i remember and apologize if i scared you for life...LOL...that  notch was my second and was after my bracket racer days and 2 of 12 that i have owned..RATTO.. completely rebuilt and changed many things on the ghia after you saw it at the classic that time/many stories from those days...balls to the walls..!!! NEVER beaten by car or motorcylce..!!  dyno don

Dyno, tell us some stories about the red Ghia. What did it make, 400hp+? 2386 4bbl turbo motor, right? Let's get some pics of that ride up, man.
dyno don
DKK

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 17:21:13 pm »

ok ratman you asked for it/LOL/...looking for yet another project i had located the 69 turbo ghia featured on the cover of hot vw and knew all the priciple players in the build so i ventured out to investigate the purchase...upon seeing the pristine candy apple red ghia in front of the mansion style home i knew the car was bitchin from the start and the owner j. howe took me for my first ride and squished my chubby cheeks back in sheer delight as we strolled around the neighborhhod and upon pulling up into the massive circular driveway i was happy to shell out the $7500.asking price and decided to keep the car for myself...way too much compression as i tickled the insides of the engine all the way back 30 miles to my home at the time in garden grove,ca. upon pulling into my driveway and turning the engine off it blew a fireball into the entire engine compartment catching everything on fire that literally destroyed the entire engine bay to include all the sealing rubbers/plug wires/lines/hoses/side and rear fenderwell material as well as the decklid paint..!! needless to say i was BUMMED beyond comprehension. that was all in the first hour of owning the car...i eventually replaced all the essentials and rubbed out and polished the paint back to its beautiful candy apple red lustre once again and drove the crap out of the car for a few weeks before noticing a slight "tick/tick" inside the engine which i determined was from a cracked lifter bore(s) from too much compression and not enough valve spring tension(h/d duals) so i embarked upon the first rebuild where i took the compression from 8:5 down to 6:1 so i could use more boost and still enjoy driving to san diego and back. at that time i revamped the entire back half of the ghia starting with another trans as the "new"trans in the car was having pinion bearing noise(rhino case)..shocks/upgraded brakes/lines ,hoses, and redesigned engine and thought i would be done with everything..NOT  !!! a fast learning curve to turbo car madness that lasted for a few years until i sold the car to my older brother at the time...i have so much more to tell but dont want to take anymore space unless warranted...(i can be prodded further) grin....thanks/dyno don
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 17:27:52 pm »

more, more,  more!  Grin

(that enough prodding?)

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 17:33:15 pm »

Smiley  prod, prod, prod, prodprodprodprod.   Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 17:59:50 pm »

ok ratman you asked for it/LOL/...looking for yet another project i had located the 69 turbo ghia featured on the cover of hot vw and knew all the priciple players in the build so i ventured out to investigate the purchase...upon seeing the pristine candy apple red ghia in front of the mansion style home i knew the car was bitchin from the start and the owner j. howe took me for my first ride and squished my chubby cheeks back in sheer delight as we strolled around the neighborhhod and upon pulling up into the massive circular driveway i was happy to shell out the $7500.asking price and decided to keep the car for myself...way too much compression as i tickled the insides of the engine all the way back 30 miles to my home at the time in garden grove,ca. upon pulling into my driveway and turning the engine off it blew a fireball into the entire engine compartment catching everything on fire that literally destroyed the entire engine bay to include all the sealing rubbers/plug wires/lines/hoses/side and rear fenderwell material as well as the decklid paint..!! needless to say i was BUMMED beyond comprehension. that was all in the first hour of owning the car...i eventually replaced all the essentials and rubbed out and polished the paint back to its beautiful candy apple red lustre once again and drove the crap out of the car for a few weeks before noticing a slight "tick/tick" inside the engine which i determined was from a cracked lifter bore(s) from too much compression and not enough valve spring tension(h/d duals) so i embarked upon the first rebuild where i took the compression from 8:5 down to 6:1 so i could use more boost and still enjoy driving to san diego and back. at that time i revamped the entire back half of the ghia starting with another trans as the "new"trans in the car was having pinion bearing noise(rhino case)..shocks/upgraded brakes/lines ,hoses, and redesigned engine and thought i would be done with everything..NOT  !!! a fast learning curve to turbo car madness that lasted for a few years until i sold the car to my older brother at the time...i have so much more to tell but dont want to take anymore space unless warranted...(i can be prodded further) grin....thanks/dyno don

Wow, that sucks about engine fire. The car looked good when I saw it in Irvine.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 18:22:56 pm »

dyno the car was sitting on real empi 8 Huh if that yes i see the car well  ,dyno that it was very pretty case   Cool

dyno don
DKK

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 20:58:00 pm »

yes my friend it had original 2 piece empi wheels...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 21:15:29 pm »

remember well in my magazine  ,i saw a report(not hot vw ) maybe 10 year now i will chearch after this one and post , when i saw the kg it blow my mind , the color , the rims etc ,,, are well on that car , and i remember saw in a super vw video tape we saw the ghia go away from a meeting  very nice sound
it's rock dyno  Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: