The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 06:03:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350871 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  New valve springs - retainer issue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New valve springs - retainer issue?  (Read 1949 times)
Neil Davies

« on: August 26, 2013, 17:37:02 pm »

Pulled my 2007cc motor out from under my workbench at the weekend and started to change the valve springs, but ran into an issue I need some advice on.

Got the one head off, swapped the springs one by one (its amazing how much stiffer the new Scat ones felt than the old ones that came off!) and started to put the head back in place. That's when I noticed that the retainers weren't sitting at the same height. Looks like the valve collets are sitting further into the retainer on a couple of the valves. The valve tips all look to be at the same height, but the retainers aren't, and one is in so far that i don't think the lash cap would fit properly. Logic tells me that I should change the retainers, but do I need to change the collets too? If so, do people still modify them so that they don't touch and allow the valve to rotate, and is there a brand of collet (and of retainer too) that I should go for?

I've got some pictures on my phone that I might be able to post later but they're huge at the moment!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
spanners

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 16:29:33 pm »

Neil, sounds like the collets are fretting their way into the retainer ,it usually shows on weakest springs, mark them up then do a pressure test just to yah or nah them with the remainder, as they wear, the spring installed height increases and adds to the problem,
either that or the installed heights were off to start with, if you've not heard any valve bounce, it may be valve float, far more dangerous as you dont hear anything until the big bang. the collets are likely o.k still, but the're so cheap, also check the collets are not touching  each other on the valve stem.

Best regards, spanners.
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 18:34:57 pm »

Cheers Spanners, I'm replacing the whole set of springs so not too worried about bounce. I've owned the motor for around seven years but not had it in a car yet. I only found out about taking the rockers off a stored motor about 5 years ago, so I knew I was going to change them, I just wasn't expecting to see the worn retainers. Any recommendations on brands?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
spanners

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 20:41:32 pm »

Neil, check the tops of the guides/ spring bosses for contact with the retainers, ive seen the guide knocked down by valve float,  look for marks etc, it can stress the valves at the collet grooves if they've floated that far, as for choice, C.B seem to be THE name if only for ease of buying and availability, no reported problems also, and a huge range of course,  but Bug pack v/springs have a good reputation, Scat seem to be tagged for loosing pressure easily, which im on also, but mine have done 4 hrs with 2 more to go this season with no troubles at all , but their coming out in winter service as a matter of routine after a fair innings, i'm going with berg retainers and lash caps , bugpack springs. cheers.

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: