The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:57:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mark Riley, RIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mark Riley, RIP  (Read 3671 times)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« on: July 26, 2007, 11:48:01 am »

I have just learned that Dean Lowry's son-in-law Mark Riley passed away two days ago, aged just 48. Mark was married to Dean's daughter Marla and often drove her 'If you've got it, flaunt it' race car. He also put Dean's former Pro-Stocker on the street. Controversial, outspoken and often misunderstood, Mark always had time to stop and chat to a Brit. Rest in peace, Mark.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:01:19 pm »

I remember Mark from the original CLF. Sorry to hear this.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
ESH

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:36:44 pm »

Very sorry to hear that. Rest in peace, Mark.
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 15:32:00 pm »

I am really sorry to hear this.  I bought my last set of DCNF's from him.  He was a good guy and will be missed by all that got a chance to know him.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
gibber!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 22:36:45 pm »

Very sad news.....

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 23:32:50 pm »

Here's a nice story...

When Dean passed away, Mark and Mark (Riley and Herbert) were entrusted with the task of sorting through Dean's garage at his Phoenix home. I'd met and befriended Dean some years before while researching the Cal Look book and always kept in touch with him and Peggy, swapping stories and drinking his own brew of black coffee (the type you can stand a spoon in and it would either dissolve or stand straight up), while choking on his never ending cigarette smoke.

Anyway, I felt like I had 'connected' with Dean and it really grieved me when he passed away, especially as it seemed that part of it could be blamed on the hospital treatment he got. When Mark and Mark told me they were off to help Peggy go through Dean's stuff, I asked if they could bring me some small memento of this great man. I checked with Peggy and she was cool about it, too, as she said how Dean looked forward to our sadly infrequent meetings.

A few weeks later, when I was next over in SoCal, at a DQ evening, Mark and Mark came up to me and said 'We know Dean would have liked you to have this' and gave me a penknife. Now this was (is) no ordinary penknife. It had a blade worn down to almost nothing and had tiny splatters of purple paint on it. This was the penknife Dean carried with him throughout his racing life, using it to gap spark plugs at the track. It is priceless and the most treasured thing I own and I owe it all to Mark and Mark. Two great people. two outspoken know it alls ( Wink) and two of the most fsacinating people I've met. Mark, Mark, Dean and Peggy, I thank you all. God bless.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:22:40 am »

Very sorry to hear that. What was the cause? God bless!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Donny B.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 02:10:12 am »

Any more info on what happened?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
stealth67vw

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 02:42:24 am »

Heart failure  Cry

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?topic=20847.from1185585311;topicseen#msg213945

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Russell

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 11:27:45 am »

Im totally shocked at this news, Mark passed on some very special Deano items to me last year and as as mentioned before was using the money for medical treatment, i did have an email recently from him and was under the impression he was on the mend....

MARK. Thanks and RIP, I owe you one, mate.

Next year MARK will be remembered by VW Gasser Garage at EBI2, all invited.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: