The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:32:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  wheelies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: wheelies  (Read 20724 times)
nicolas

« on: September 23, 2013, 05:50:16 am »

i couldn't help but notice on DDD that there are not too many cars anymore that do wheelies at the starting line... weird as the power of cars has greatly improved on cars over the years. so has everyone found the 'ideal sweetspot' that the car just accellerates forward and not upward? i can't really imagine that, but why no wheelies then?

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:45 am »

i couldn't help but notice on DDD that there are not too many cars anymore that do wheelies at the starting line... weird as the power of cars has greatly improved on cars over the years. so has everyone found the 'ideal sweetspot' that the car just accellerates forward and not upward? i can't really imagine that, but why no wheelies then?

Since you posted in the Pure Racing section I will give you a pure racing answer: Wheelies are show and no go. We have learned that if you want to go fast and at the same time save your drive train (and car) you need clutch control and improved weight distribution. But perhaps the answer to your question is traction?

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Typ3racing

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:29:06 am »

At least a few cm Mini Wheelie
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
spanners

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:42:23 am »

Since you posted in the Pure Racing section I will give you a pure racing answer: Wheelies are show and no go. We have learned that if you want to go fast and at the same time save your drive train (and car) you need clutch control and improved weight distribution. But perhaps the answer to your question is traction?

^^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^ Thank heavens for a straight answer, build a show car or build a fast car.
-BB-

Best regards, spanners.
MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:32:25 am »

build a show car or build a fast car.

I think it is possible to have a combination of that  Grin Grin

MeXX

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:44:18 am by MeXX » Logged

Drag or Die
MeXX

World record holder 8.733 @ 255.658

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 13:28:17 pm »

But perhaps the answer to your question is traction?

-BB-

Dear Kalle

I don't think so, as Gregor (PL) was able to run a 7,9 with his turboed Corvette

MeXX

Drag or Die
spanners

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 17:56:22 pm »

MeXX

OH YES... Grin

Best regards, spanners.
dannyboy

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 18:33:38 pm »

my car doesent wheelie and belive me ive tried everything to get a ego wall shot lol  Cheesy but it does seem to do the trick so far 1.41 60ft and i believe with some more nitrous on the line it will go better ,it has no clutch control runs a stage 1 and black magic i just feather the throttle around 6-7k and drop the clutch and it hooks up squats like mad and off she goes  Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 20:53:29 pm »

i did indeed put it in the pure racing section for a reason. traction isn't the issue as i have seen wheelies in the past at DDD. and the question also remains as for more then 4O years beetles have been pulling wheelies and now i can't see the wheels come of the ground one inch. and traction, clutch-management, and what not has been an issue for more then a few racers in the last few years and now everything is solved?

that said there is not too much debate about the fact that a good launch doesn't need a wheelie, but it sure is a nice bonus  Grin
JS

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 20:59:37 pm »

my car doesent wheelie and belive me ive tried everything to get a ego wall shot lol  Cheesy but it does seem to do the trick so far 1.41 60ft and i believe with some more nitrous on the line it will go better ,it has no clutch control runs a stage 1 and black magic i just feather the throttle around 6-7k and drop the clutch and it hooks up squats like mad and off she goes  Cheesy

Fit super stiff rear shocks and take off the front ones, youŽll have your poster in no time.  Grin

Signature.
cameron shorey

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 21:07:21 pm »

-BB-

BB, I agree.
Wheelies look impressive. But any time spent going up, is time not spent going forward.

Horsepower, reliability, cheap... pick two.
dannyboy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 22:34:27 pm »

Fit super stiff rear shocks and take off the front ones, youŽll have your poster in no time.  Grin

lol im not bothered about the poster shot anymore  Cheesy every tenth faster is closer to the single number et  Roll Eyes Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
steve_pugh

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 15:45:35 pm »

How much power does one need to get a wheelie?   And what effect does it have to the front end when it comes down!?

richie

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 18:49:04 pm »

I think you are all deluded, wheelies are great Shocked Cheesy

They are so much fun and make for a quality picture[yes not so much for ET Roll Eyes ]  The buzz from shifting into 2nd while the front wheels are still right up and carrying it out even further is up there with my 1st 9 and 1st 8, in fact its was proberly more fun as I knew what was happening at the time, with a real good pass you don't know till after as it almost feels boring

Nicolas, I can't comment on bitburg last weekend, but technology has moved on for sure and helped calm a lot of cars down to where they run quicker 60fts and 1/4 mile due to this

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 17:52:52 pm »

as for the improvement, yes it can be technological welfare, but still, it can't get the idea out of my head that cars don't leave that hard. 60ft's will back this up or not, but i was surprised to see so few. not everyone can find that sweetspot just in a few year like this.

anyway, next year, we all do wheelies. no-one cares for 11's, 10's, 9's and even 8's. it's wheelies we want to see.

just planting seeds here.  Grin

steve_pugh

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 11:33:48 am »

Where's the "Like" button..  Cool

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 21:17:25 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
deano_dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 14:14:01 pm »

MeXX

oh my gosh.
tell me about this ghia !!!

VWDRC Sportsman Champion 2012
1776cc na / 15.1s / 85mph
Eddie DVK

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 14:24:46 pm »

Where's the "Like" button..  Cool

hahaha isn t this everybodies dream here having a street (cal look) car that does a wheelie.
Well it s mine at least..
Haven t been on a strip with my car yet  Undecided. not the correct box yet.

regards edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
dragvw2180

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 14:45:55 pm »

How much power does one need to get a wheelie?   And what effect does it have to the front end when it comes down!?

IMHO It is not so much about power , our 1776 bug will pull wheelies , but about suspension.  Stiff rear suspension , slicks  and real soft front suspension will allow weight transfer enough that it will pull the front off the ground. My previous car was differant with the turbo engine as seen on this video when the wheely bar support  bolts broke,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FJZrEFElU24" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FJZrEFElU24</a>
          It felt good so I shifted second gear like Richie said.  Mike McCarthy
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 14:53:58 pm »

I'd love a cheeky wheelie in my car, but the way it was built and setup means that probably won't happen. 1.61 60ft on 205 street treads show its moving alright but the weight distribution and a calm launch means that that it just squats and goes.

Not quite as entertaining for the driver or crowds but it does the deed!
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 14:55:52 pm »

They are so much fun and make for a quality picture[yes not so much for ET Roll Eyes ]  The buzz from shifting into 2nd while the front wheels are still right up and carrying it out even further is up there with my 1st 9 and 1st 8, in fact its was proberly more fun as I knew what was happening at the time, with a real good pass you don't know till after as it almost feels boring

cheers Richie

I think it was your car that scared me off wheelies  Wink Cheesy
richie

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 09:40:55 am »

I'd love a cheeky wheelie in my car, but the way it was built and setup means that probably won't happen. 1.61 60ft on 205 street treads show its moving alright but the weight distribution and a calm launch means that that it just squats and goes.

This is getting off the wheelie topic I know but it might be relevant so humour me Wink

So here's a question, why is it that its ok for it to squat? In my mind that's what we don't want, if it is "squatting" what it is actually doing is pushing the wheel away from the track upwards and into the car so then the car moves down creating the image of "squatting"

If the tyre or track is not sticky enough surely it will just spin the tyre and the suspension will hardly move? when it does what you are describing and then blows the tyre off surely its not working to its best ability?

I am only using your car as an example Rich,your post just got me thinking [ I know never a good thing!!! ] most of our type cars do it, but is there something we can do to improve that scenario? wouldn't you like more traction?  your mph suggests you have a 11second car that would wheelie as well Shocked Grin

If my ideas are even vaguely correct then the worse thing we can do to our cars is lower them at all at the back Shocked Huh Wink

cheers Richie

nicolas

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 18:55:27 pm »

This is getting off the wheelie topic I know but it might be relevant so humour me Wink

So here's a question, why is it that its ok for it to squat? In my mind that's what we don't want, if it is "squatting" what it is actually doing is pushing the wheel away from the track upwards and into the car so then the car moves down creating the image of "squatting"

If my ideas are even vaguely correct then the worse thing we can do to our cars is lower them at all at the back Shocked Huh Wink

cheers Richie

i don't think the squatting you discribe is actually the wheel going up and because there is gravity the car in reality comes down, but more a loss of forward power that pulls the car to the ground. if it was gravity alone, it wouldn't happen as it is too slow/not powerfull enough to do this to the car. so it must be the acceleration that causes this. wheelhop is pushing the wheel away from the track. the car will not sqaut. the squatting is the car that is inert and wants to stay where it is and the wheels just pushing it forward, hence the downward movement of the car (that is the visible outing where the lost power goes into).

richie

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 19:57:54 pm »

Nicolas,

I cant see how any forces we apply to the tyre can pull the car down? the car is just there for the ride,

I have sent you a pm

cheers Richie

Joel Mohr

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 03:29:33 am »

Come on guys, it's not that hard....

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Fiatdude

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 05:28:02 am »

I agree

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
spanners

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 08:36:17 am »

Its the mechanics of the ring and pinion that rotates the car against the power applied to it, when i pre load my circuit car it pulls itself down to the crouch position ready for the off, no forward motion at all,  once launched and going sky wards, with a light enough front,  inertia keeps it going up , best explained thus, try the same thing in reverse and see what happens, i would guess a reduction box bus would lift at the rear to some extent with the ring gear on the other side of the pinion shaft. hope that helps anyway.

Best regards, spanners.
Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 09:13:51 am »

I agree

Before you jump, check the depth.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 18:45:59 pm »

i would guess a reduction box bus would lift at the rear to some extent with the ring gear on the other side of the pinion shaft. hope that helps anyway.

The reduction box busses do lift in the back when accelerating.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: