The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 15:46:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old 70s motor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old 70s motor  (Read 1734 times)
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« on: October 05, 2013, 10:30:43 am »

Not a roller crank 88 x 82 with Fukaya heads unfortunately.  Cry
But still interesting enough that I thought I would share the insides of this thing, and see if anyone else can I.D. the motor. I bought it locally off an old bloke (who tells great stories I might add!  Grin) who used to work at Exmouth with the 'Mericans in the 70s, there is a joint US/Aust communications base up there. This motor was imported from the states and used in a buggy until the really cool-looking chrome air filter let in a bit of dirt and the motor was dusted. He said the engine really pulled hard, left most things behind easily. I got it as part of a job lot of his old VW bits and pieces, he has had it sealed up under the bench since 1974, just in case he ever needed another spare motor........

It has a 63mm stroke (not exact measurements here), and has been fitted with 85.5mm VW barrels and pistons, they still have the stampings and the cross-hatch is still OK. I measured the lift on the lifter to be 6.7mm or .268". By all this I'm guessing an early 1200 that's been fitted with 1600 stuff but still a stock cam perhaps? Intriguing none the less. The heads are 373 Single Port with 35.5/32 valves, and the inlet measures at 31mm round. They also have a cracked fin on both, so there goes my grand plans for a hotrod Single Port set of heads as a fun project motor.  Cry Keep looking for decent stock SP heads I spose.

Anyway, a few pics.......
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Doesn't that old crusty stuff look good hey?
Mmmmmm, lovely!  Cheesy
goose

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 15:37:29 pm »

give martin taylor a shout about the single port heads he might just have what you want
search taylor machine services
or on here as martin

2015 the year finally racing
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: