The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:58:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  Super Shit Box For Sale Beware!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Super Shit Box For Sale Beware!  (Read 45960 times)
Ninho/DKM

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:42 am »

I am in!!! Just for Mark!!!

1974 Superbeetle Porsche affected and influenced
1957 Gasser Project work in progress
1973 Thing type 181 Civil version (sold)
1959 Bug waiting attentions
1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

www.Surfinbirdbug.blogspot.it
www.Ninho-Reloaded.blogspot.it
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 10:03:23 am »

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Rocket Ron

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04:07 am »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:16:13 am by Rocket Ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

AntLockyer

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 10:09:58 am »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 23:52:22 pm by AntLockyer » Logged

12.618 @ 104.87mph
JS

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 13:19:59 pm »

Ok, wft happened?  Cheesy

Signature.
wolfswest

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 13:51:59 pm »

Ok, wft happened?  Cheesy

X2  Cheesy

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Rocket Ron

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 14:59:17 pm »

i did propose an idea but I'm told that Mike no longer has any interest in obtaining the car back so I removed it

shame really as it belongs back at home where it would be cared for IMO Undecided

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Ninho/DKM

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2013, 22:40:50 pm »

Sad story always ends in sad ways due to sad people...

1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 10:28:16 am »

There better be LOADS of information missing from this thread.

The evidence that the current owner of SSB is a bad person is rather thin.

First of all, the owner has a web page where he sell VW's, it's not listed there as for sale .

1. He has been unwilling to give a" buy it now" price.  Not uncommon amongst sellers of "hot stuff", and especially not if it's NOT even listed as for sale

2. He has called one person a "tire kicker"  Shows that the "seller" has a short temper, or that he is getting a lot of unwanted attention

3. He has removed the Berg shifter  supposedly a telltale sign that all the good stuff is gone

4. He has removed The FAQ text and Eat Me sticker

5. There is oil on the pully    shows that the owner does not care for the car

6. He has added his "company name" to the car and a streamer to the front and rear window.

For these crimes he has received three pages of warnings and agro on the Lounge...   I'm not very happy with this behavior, and hope someone can clearly explain what hard evidence that justifies this thread.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 15:00:11 pm »

I thought I was the only one! Thanks for that Jon!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 15:37:09 pm »

First of all, the owner has a web page where he sell VW's, it's not listed there as for sale .

1. He has been unwilling to give a" buy it now" price.   Not uncommon amongst sellers of "hot stuff", and especially not if it's NOT even listed as for sale

2. He has called one person a "tire kicker"   Shows that the "seller" has a short temper, or that he is getting a lot of unwanted attention

3. He has removed the Berg shifter  supposedly a telltale sign that all the good stuff is gone

5. There is oil on the pully     shows that the owner does not care for the car

6. He has added his "company name" to the car and a streamer to the front and rear window.

For these crimes he has received three pages of warnings and agro on the Lounge...   I'm not very happy with this behavior, and hope someone can clearly explain what hard evidence that justifies this thread.

I don't usually post anything anymore here as there are too many People here that talk crap about other peole they don't even know!!!!

BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT DIDO WAS AND IS A TOP GUY, HE NEVER RUINED THE SSB OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

All that writing on the Car was Shoe Polish and was removed after a short while without destroying that "High Dollar" paintjob from the SSB...!!!

Dido raced the SSB really hard ( without changing anything on the Car!!!) and if I'm not mistaken is the only one who did a 10sec run with the SSB...!!!

I was there went the 10 happened and when he came back from that 10sec. run he said this one is you Mark H.!!!

He always knew what car it is or was and "whose"it was...!!!

What know happened to the SSB is sadly not in Dido's hands, he can not be made responsable for it!!!

I only hope that those people that talk crap about Dido and the SSB start to shut up!!! Talking stupid about someone you do not know is really stupid!!!

I only hope that this takes and end now, and just in case Dido is reading this, take care my Friend wish you all the Best and hope to see you soon!!!!

Over and Out,

Frank
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 15:40:49 pm by Frank LUX » Logged

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 15:46:18 pm »

1. He has been unwilling to give a" buy it now" price.   Not uncommon amongst sellers of "hot stuff", and especially not if it's NOT even listed as for sale

2. He has called one person a "tire kicker"   Shows that the "seller" has a short temper, or that he is getting a lot of unwanted attention

3. He has removed the Berg shifter  supposedly a telltale sign that all the good stuff is gone

For these crimes he has received three pages of warnings and agro on the Lounge...   I'm not very happy with this behavior, and hope someone can clearly explain what hard evidence that justifies this thread.

I don't usually post anything anymore here as there are too many People here that talk crap about other peole they don't even know!!!!

BUT ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT DIDO WAS AND IS A TOP GUY, HE NEVER RUINED THE SSB OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

All that writing on the Car was Shoe Polish and was removed after a short while without destroying that "High Dollar" paintjob from the SSB...!!!

Dido raced the SSB really hard ( without changing anything on the Car!!!) and if I'm not mistaken is the only one who did a 10sec run with the SSB...!!!

I was there went the 10 happened and when he came back from that 10sec. run he said this one is you Mark H.!!!

What know happened to the SSB is sadly not in Dido's hands, he can not be made responsable for it!!!

I only hope that those people that talk crap about Dido and the SSB start to shut up!!! Talking stupid about someone you do not know is really stupid!!!

I only hope that this takes and end now, and just in case Dido is reading this, take care my Friend wish you all the Best and hope to see you soon!!!!

Over and Out,

Frank

First of all, who is talking down Dido?  Did you read the thread?
Secondly, why are you quoting me? I did not mention Dido with a single word, I'm talking about the guy owning the car now.

Frank LUX

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 15:55:36 pm »

Over and Out,

Frank

First of all, who is talking down Dido?  Did you read the thread?
Secondly, why are you quoting me? I did not mention Dido with a single word, I'm talking about the guy owning the car now.

I only quoted to add info, not taking you down, yes i read it
all sadly, that why i said that people who do not know Dido or the "why" about the SSB should calm down...

It was intendend personally, but more for the people that talk.... Lets say too much...

If my post hurst your Feelings your welcome to remove it, or maybe even better delete the complete tread...as it is not going anywhere near
where it belongs...!!

Frank
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 15:57:39 pm by Frank LUX » Logged

1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 16:27:32 pm »

No hurt feelings here. I was just wondering who you were refering to.

Frank LUX

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 16:30:39 pm »

No hurt feelings here. I was just wondering who you were refering to.

Ok

Ninho/DKM

« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 21:49:29 pm »

I had externated some opinions but to clarify i was talking about the actual owner of the car, not Dido, that was si evudent from pictures that those writings were whashables, that was evident that Dido had respect of the SSB.
My words were for the actual asshole, and i will tell him in the face once i will ever meet him in the future, that has ruined that monumental car forever.

bugnut68

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2013, 22:23:28 pm »

I was reading the OC Register's story/biography about Mark a few days ago, as it was teh story that came out shortly after his death.  At this point, the best thing anyone can do is build their own car in that style/format/flavor or whatever to continue the legacy of Mark's memory.  I totally supported/subscribed to his "anti-bling" philosophy of "screw looks, focus on performance" as I love the concept behind an ugly car that delivers high performance.

The SSB of old is no more in new owners' hands, and that is sad, but I think the most important and lasting element is the memory of Mark, himself, as well was his philosophy of having fun, above all else.  I'm no fan of the six-figure cars that are getting turned out and slobbered over in the magazines these days, as they are not my flavor/interest.  I can respect the work that goes into them and the innovative ideas that often get implemented, but they're just not my cup of tea.

The fondest memories and greatest things I've taken away from the VW hobby are not the cars, themselves, but the people I've met and gotten to know along the way, bar none. 
plasticblack

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2013, 23:54:01 pm »

This thread certainly has some pretty strong opinions flying around... Shocked

I know of this car and some of its History (certainly not intimately) and have no strong feelings about its New Owner (and whatever he might choose to do with the car) or it previous owner (and how he chose to run the vehicle)

However noting the strong sentiments voiced here by some about changes to the car from it's previous condition and the emotions that are clearly entwined with the history, the arguments on both sides seem to be so far apart that little resolution or satisfaction can ever be reached regarding the car's current situation?

I wonder what we would all think should say the Inch Pincher suddenly be found and (as some believe) had been turned into a Baja Bug?

Would we be hunting down the former owner/person responsible for such obvious desecration (to a VW Icon) or would we be celebrating the  rediscovery of such an important piece of VW History?

Also, after discovery, which one of the Inch Pincher's incarnations would be the correct one to restore to?

What's right and what's wrong? Is there a right or wrong...

Some like change and others not. But once sold any item, car boat or house is available for change unless a contract exists prohibiting such changes.

We may not like the changes that come with new ownership, certainly we may not approve? But once an item (car) changes hands, all bets are off..

I genuinely mean no disrespect to anyone by posting these (my own) thoughts, but I'm always a little uncomfortable about these kinds of heated debates that come into our hobby from time to time, when in reality we all have such affection for our hobby/obsession, that something like this really shouldn't be allowed to cause such upset amongst us?

The thought that people felt so strongly about preserving this car that they'd club together and purchase it, really shows the heart that exists right here (Ron.. Top Man)  Cool

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 00:00:41 am by plasticblack » Logged
Ninho/DKM

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2013, 15:05:21 pm »

Any news about this tread? Anyone has news about SSB?

bugnut68

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2013, 16:46:58 pm »

Any news about this tread? Anyone has news about SSB?

My guess its it's time to let it go.
ranchoparts

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2013, 19:00:04 pm »

I tried to deal with the new owner and he just does not get it! Car was sold to Dido for $8500
and it was in original condition and capable 10.90 ET's. Now its missing parts, Runs like Shit and has been Doodled On buy its new owner.

Hey! Its his car and he can do what he wants with it. I am just no longer interested in a POS I want the SSB.

Mike Herbert 
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2013, 20:27:53 pm »

Is the black car that mark does the fricken COOLest burnout video still around ? That would be a cool car for the herbert family.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2013, 20:56:06 pm »

Is the black car that mark does the fricken COOLest burnout video still around ? That would be a cool car for the herbert family.

I'm pretty sure he wrote that one off... I remember seeing pics of a twisted, mangled body. Amazing he survived that one...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Mirco Jufer

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2014, 07:01:01 am »

Hey Guys

Have anybody News about the SSB where it is located now?
It has a new Owner?
JustinCase

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2016, 09:13:04 am »

Does anyone know where the car is now ? If so, Pm me.
ranchoparts

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 16:35:14 pm »

The Guy that got the SSB from Dido's storage died now his brother owns it. It would be nice to see the car in someones hands that appreciates it.

Mike
Mirco Jufer

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2016, 08:04:20 am »

Yes i hear that too...but i never seen the Car for sale here in Switzerland.
Dan Ahrendt

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2019, 06:52:12 am »

Last weekend @ european bug-in.  The SSB is still in France ... i was very happy to see the SSB again  Grin

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2019, 07:54:59 am »

Thank you for sharing the pictures Dan Ahrendt!

Does the SSB still run as strong as it did years ago? I contacted Mark years ago and he gave me the receipe of the 11.03 ET engine and I copied it to every detail.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Dan Ahrendt

« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2019, 08:38:21 am »

No i think not so fast. I have see the ssb for years at Bitburg with empi 48. The new Owner have again 48 idas i think thats orginal style.
i m so happy to see the car in good hands because one of my all time favorite race cars. Video coming soon

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: