The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:25:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Berg trans mounts, high hp car (+240hp). Solid or rubber/urethane mounts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Berg trans mounts, high hp car (+240hp). Solid or rubber/urethane mounts?  (Read 3220 times)
-Alex-

« on: October 15, 2013, 07:02:07 am »

I have been recommended Solid mounts with my berg 5-speed and 2789cc engine, even if the car will be mostly street driven germanlooker and some occasional track and drag days.

I am not very much interested to have solid mounts, i would prefer hard rubber or urethane mounts.

Framehorns and shock towers will be supported very well.  5-bar käfer cup bar system, rollcage possibly tied to framehorns/torsiontubes etc.  Just like remmele does.

Does anybody sell this kind of mounts, but instead of rubber, polyurethane?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:18:48 am by -Alex- » Logged

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
Ninho/DKM

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 23:14:53 pm »

Alex, i have Berg style mid mount on my Surfin'Bird bug, i usually street it as daily drive car using same grimmets you had pictured in your thread. Times i had gone racing i had switched to solid mounts, aluminium spacers, in place of grommets thats working so fine with yellow urethane Rhino main mounts. I belive you can look for those grommets by heavy vehicles for transportation parts sellers, i think also you should have to get them in urethane by a machinery shop.  Anyway i run a 1776cc with standard trans+zf lsd and grommets spacers are ok fir street use couse they privides enought strength to drivetrain not killing diveabke comfort.

1974 Superbeetle Porsche affected and influenced
1957 Gasser Project work in progress
1973 Thing type 181 Civil version (sold)
1959 Bug waiting attentions
1963 Surfin'Bird Street and Strip race Bug 1776cc Best E/T 14,769 at Hills Race#10

www.Surfinbirdbug.blogspot.it
www.Ninho-Reloaded.blogspot.it
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:46:46 am »

My gearbox is supported on four of these rubber mounts, this gives a quiet car while on the street. When on the track I jack the gearbox up 1 mm and sticks cut-down caster shims on to the side of the rubber mounts. I secure them with a strip and then release the jack. Maybe you could think this way and make a polyurethane sleeve for your rubber mounts?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
-Alex-

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 21:33:17 pm »

Ok, i am thinking to step urethane "donuts", possibly from energysuspension or just watercut one.

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
Bruce

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:13:33 am »

My gearbox is supported on four of these rubber mounts,
Can you post a photo?
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:22 am »

My gearbox is supported on four of these rubber mounts,
Can you post a photo?

This is from when I built it back in 2003. It's not quite done in the pictures, but you can see what it's about. Not a busted gearbox since I built it  Smiley

This is the cradle part:

The rear support:

This is how it fits together:

In these pictures the front is fixed by the stock nose cone rubber mount, I have never used had that in the actual car. I use a little uniball link between the cradle and chassis to ensure a nice gear shift (box not moving lengthwise) 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:10:54 am by Jon » Logged

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: