The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:44:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cool VW Conversations with good friends...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cool VW Conversations with good friends...  (Read 4091 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: July 30, 2007, 21:02:55 pm »

If the hobby was just about the cars, it wouldn't be half as fun. Sure, it can be fun to crawl around on the ground adjusting valves or hanging oil coolers......uh sure. How about changing valve springs?....or my fave.....adjusting rear torsion bar settings...yay.
No....it is really about having fun talks with like-minded friends. Whether you learn something, share opinion, plan something, or help somebody, it doesn't matter. The gestalt that takes place among two or more VW-heads is where its at.

I can remember some good times....just b-sing with various guys about some segment of the VW hobby...

-one night sheep and I took off in my Fiat X19 and drove for hours. We ended up somewhere high in the Sierra Nevada, just a few miles shy of Nevada state line. It was early fall and we were coursing up Highway 4 up around Monitor Pass. Anyway, we drove until it was light out, and much of the time was spent discussing what would eventually become his 1914 with K8 and Pauter heads and 48 Webers. This was almost 20 years ago, and I still remember how much of the trip went. Fuelled on caffiene and enthusiasm.

-recently, hanging out at Sarge's house, before a drive to Nicks....and Sarge was cool enough to pull out all his old DKP photos and memorablilia and he had a great story behind every pic, button, flyer, decal, newsletter....  just to sit there and listen to Sarge crack up telling me about goofing off at Montgomery Ward's parking lot or camping at Carlsbad.... wish I coulda been there.

-Some after-hours talks with my old boss Jerry Young. While qucik tempered and moody during business hours, Jerry morphed into a really cool, almost father figure as soon as the whistle blew and it was quitting time. Lots of "colorful" stories of the years behind the scenes at Buggy House....lots of super cool stories about their record-setting Bonneville K-Ghia (Buggy House / Porter) and its various motors, his dad Stanley's turbo Bug that he used to deliver parts in, the various break ins and burgarlies....and of course, all the fast street cars that went in and out of the shop.

Ok, I've wasted enough space....let's hear some of your good times and talks with your VW friends...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 21:11:52 pm »

Too many to tell... until I recover from three G & Ts...!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 21:22:34 pm »

Sounds like you need a little more "training"....three G & T's....sheeeesh Roll Eyes Wink

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 23:26:52 pm »

Sounds like you need a little more "training"....three G & T's....sheeeesh Roll Eyes Wink
You didn't see how big they were... Grin

Sarge

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 23:53:30 pm »

[/quote]

Somehow, I knew that was coming Roll Eyes Grin

As for memorable conversations, one of my favorites is talking "Martian" with Dave Mason at Nick's after a few too many cold ones!

DKP III
Russell

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 00:25:34 am »

Well guys my best one was only a month ago at EBI, on the Friday night with the rain pouring down we pulled out a copy of Grandpa Keiths Cal look Bible to let Arnie Molhman see it FOR THE 1ST Time  and then to listen to the storys of some of the photos in the book from the days from the horses mouth so to speak was just brilliant...... I think there was about 10 of us in awe hanging on every word ! Fantastic.

Best Regards

Russell
Cornpanzer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:08 pm »

You see Sarge, its a ratio thing.  Its not that the drinks were so big, but rather....welll....uhhh, you know.....

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Cornpanzer

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:28:24 pm »

One year Dave Cormack loaned me his 21 window (what a guy) for me to drive up to OC to the Classic.  After a BBQ at Beechers, a bunch of us including Mark Herbert jumped in this bus andd drove it to the West Coast Metric open house.   Later that night, we dropped everyone off and My wife, Mark and I went to a Mexi resteraunt for a late snack.  We ended up staying to midnight talking about VWs and early 911s and stuff like how Mark killed the tree in his parents front yard LOL.  Never laughed so hard in my life......

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Soda

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:07:13 am »

I have always love the U turn to Buggy House. You would wait for the traffic to break and then you would pin it lighting the tire up from there till you got to the the drive way. You could always tell how was coming buy the way they made that U turn. Or you could here Jerry say here comes something. Jim do you remeber the time you blew your oil filter off spinning donuts in the middle of Mission.

Bryan
stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 14:44:42 pm »

I liked leaving Buggy House. 35 years of oil leaking VWs parked out front makes for a fun exit, especially if it was raining. One time I hit the curb with my back tire I got so sideways leaving.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 16:59:47 pm »

You see Sarge, its a ratio thing.  Its not that the drinks were so big, but rather....welll....uhhh, you know.....

I think your on to something, Dave! Grin

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 18:24:10 pm »

I think your on to something, Dave! Grin
Oh great, the colonials are ganging up on me... Roll Eyes Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: