The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 19:27:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Bus Motors/1600 Single ports, Making the best of stock components!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Bus Motors/1600 Single ports, Making the best of stock components!!!  (Read 31907 times)
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 22:19:44 pm »

IMHO a regular late model fan shroud (doghouse) will do the job nicely. A venturi ring would put the system on its max performance.

Also, on such engines I prefer a thermostatic controlled external cooler. It does not have to be big. A second stock cooler placed where it can get some wind will do great. I would ditch the large oil sump. It does not aid much in cooling and it will contribute to a somewhat longer warm up period. If you absolutely want an extra sump, use the CB 1,3 quart.
I like to modify the thermostats so they do not open until about 85 degrees C. to raise the oil temps a tad in the engine. I have found that the engines keep themselves more clean on the inside because they then can "burn" a lot more of the vapors condensed in the case.
A regular 1 3/8" header will do fine. If you want something else that is tucked away, but still supports power without being loud Turbo Thomas builds the std plus (or stock style) mufflers which are similar to the vintage, only a good deal quieter.

T
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 00:26:31 am »

This is starting to get really interesting.....

Thanks for all the input Torben...... You really seem to get where I want to go with this motor, its all about those small simple changes that make a BIG difference  Smiley

It was mainly the diameter of the header I was concerned with as I want it to be "optimal" for this small cc.......
I am pretty happy with the noise level of the single quiet pak I am currently running and it looks pretty cool too  Smiley

As for the extra oil cooler..... I have founds a BMW motor bike item that is a little bigger than a stock cooler and it has nice mounts & proper outlets etc.......

Would you use a big "HP1" style filter or a smaller "Golf" style filter  Huh

Any more info on the thermostat mods  Huh
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 00:29:50 am by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 02:21:42 am »

The golf style, actually WBX filter is large enough, since the engine doesnt rev that high. I hardly ever use HP1´s I use Mann 940/25 for normal, and 940/1 for high rpm engines.

I take the thermostat unit (the actual temperature unit) from a water thermostat and use instead of the delivered in Mocal sandwich thermostats. Older Fiat units have the right temperature window. Some Ford and most likely others too.

The motorcycle cooler sounds like its usable.

T
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 10:55:46 am »

I also second the following;
- Stock doghouse fanshroud with stock oil cooler. Maybe added venturi ring.
- Alternator instead of generator (if it isn't already)
- Fullflow with cooler and thermostat. I've been satisfied with mocal sandwiches original thermostat but "hotter one" sounds also reasonable.
- Small oil sump
- Bumping up compression and small portwork
- 1.25 rockers, you can get the geometry close with added shims under the rocker shaft depending on the rockers. With cut-to-lenght alu pushrods and lash caps it would of course be netter but maybe not worth the hassle
- If your're ever driving close to 0 degrees celsius, single-tubed manifold heater with cheap aftermarket header may be problematic. At least the heater holes must be opened.
- Some good quality hideout muffler with resonance chamber muffler. Some of those cheaper ones are LOUD.
- Lambda sensor to get the jetting just right after modifications
...and a bit more aggressive cam of course Smiley
Lee.C

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 20:53:27 pm »

The golf style, actually WBX filter is large enough, since the engine doesnt rev that high. I hardly ever use HP1´s I use Mann 940/25 for normal, and 940/1 for high rpm engines.

I take the thermostat unit (the actual temperature unit) from a water thermostat and use instead of the delivered in Mocal sandwich thermostats. Older Fiat units have the right temperature window. Some Ford and most likely others too.

The motorcycle cooler sounds like its usable.

T

Sorry but I have a couple more questions  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

- 1: What paper airfilter element did you use for the conversion you mentioned  Huh
- 2: What exact mocal/termostat oil plate do you use  Huh
- 3: Oil pump.... Stock  Huh Blueprinted  Huh
- 4: Whats the MAXIMUM length/size of oil line adviceable in this kind of set up  Huh
- 5: whats your choice of oil..... Grade/Brand  Huh
- 6: Cam.... Make/type  Huh

And any other hints and tips would be great  Wink Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 03:54:27 am »

One more Thought...... What would a motor like this be like A-Framing a manx or even a bug   Shocked Huh

I am not talking across europe but a few hundred km's  Wink

Any thoughts  Huh Smiley

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 22:25:31 pm »

Sorry but I have a couple more questions  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley
- 1: What paper airfilter element did you use for the conversion you mentioned  Huh
I do not remember. I browsed the Mann ai filter catalog and found one from a light truck that suited my needs
- 2: What exact mocal/termostat oil plate do you use  Huh
Like this: http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_main.cgi?func=det&wkid=25185622571&rub1=Engine&rub2=Oil%20System%2COil%20Cooling&artnr=12553a&pn=0&sort=0&all=
- 3: Oil pump.... Stock  Huh Blueprinted  Huh
Blueprinted 26 mm.
- 4: Whats the MAXIMUM length/size of oil line adviceable in this kind of set up  Huh
Theoretical you can go all the way to the front and back, as long as you use lines and fittings with sufficient square. I have done it several times on beetles (with a filter pump and the Mocal. But i consider this maximum length.)
- 5: whats your choice of oil..... Grade/Brand  Huh
- 6: Cam.... Make/type  Huh
For these types of engines I like CB cams over most anything else. They have a variety of cams so I can choose exactly the behaviure I want. (I have done my share of trial and error in the matter)

And any other hints and tips would be great  Wink Smiley

A framing a beetle or a buggy behind the bus wohnt be worse than haulin´a trailer. The engine will be working 90-100% of its capabilities all of the time, so you should keep an eye on oil and especially head temps. Apart from that, no problem.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 22:29:17 pm by Torben Alstrup » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 23:28:08 pm »

THANKYOU VERY MUCH DUDE! Grin

You have been VERY helpfull on this thread and you really seem to get what I am trying to do.....

One question you did miss though.... What oil Grade/Brand do you like to use on these type of motors  Huh

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 23:45:54 pm »

Well. I´m a big fan of Brad Penn. That´s why I sell it too ;-)
15w/40 is my preferred viscosity for street engines, unless most of the driving is done south of the Alps.
There are other brands that work well too, but the BP is about the best I have come across.

In the cheaper end I have found that Shell Rimula 15w/40 R3 or R4 along with a shot of ZDDPlus does the job quite well too. But it doesnt beat the BP in our old engines though.

T

PS. I take it that you are located in GB. If that is the case you have a brand named Morris almost in your back yard. This Morris oil has proven very good in both lubricating and especially heat dissapation. There ia an SAE 30 Classic and also a 15w/50 Classic to choose from.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 17:50:58 pm by Torben Alstrup » Logged
Anders

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2013, 15:28:13 pm »

Cool and interesting thread Lee!! Smiley

I too am in the process of building a "super stock" singe port engine and really like the simplicity of using one carb.
Does anyone have any kind of experience with a bug spray setup? They are relatively cheap and, imho, looks alot nicer than the stock carb.

Christmas only comes once a year... Unless you have a time machine!
Lee.C

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 18:50:07 pm »

15w/40 is my preferred viscosity for street engines, unless most of the driving is done south of the Alps.
There are other brands that work well too, but the BP is about the best I have come across.

In the cheaper end I have found that Shell Rimula 15w/40 R3 or R4 along with a shot of ZDDPlus does the job quite well too. But it doesnt beat the BP in our old engines though.

T

PS. I take it that you are located in GB. If that is the case you have a brand named Morris almost in your back yard. This Morris oil has proven very good in both lubricating and especially heat dissapation. There ia an SAE 30 Classic and also a 15w/50 Classic to choose from.

I'm actually based in norway Smiley

I have been using the "Classic" SAE30 for a while and I found it worked really well, I was just interested in the types of oil an experienced builder like your self use,

Thanks again for all the input  Smiley

freakpower

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 06:45:57 am »

T

I'm actually based in norway Smiley

I have been using the "Classic" SAE30 for a while and I found it worked really well, I was just interested in the types of oil an experienced builder like your self use,

Thanks again for all the input  Smiley

We have Joe Gibbs HR-3 Full Synthetic 15W-50 on stock in Oslo.
Quality oil with high level of Zinc Dithio Phosphate.
Same oil that is labeled Joe Gibbs DT 50 - Air Cooled High Zinc Synthetic 15W50, in the States
How would that oil fit this engine?
Lee.C

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 15:29:28 pm »

Hmmmm I think I'll stay with the SAE30 for now as I have used it for a while.....

Might make the swap after the "Re-build"  Smiley

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 17:44:31 pm »

We have Joe Gibbs HR-3 Full Synthetic 15W-50 on stock in Oslo.
Quality oil with high level of Zinc Dithio Phosphate.
Same oil that is labeled Joe Gibbs DT 50 - Air Cooled High Zinc Synthetic 15W50, in the States
How would that oil fit this engine?
That oil works VERY well in type 4 engines. Whether there are the same advantages in type 1 engines I do not know. Theoretically it should be about the same.

T
Lee.C

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 00:07:03 am »

I do have just ONE more question..... So thanks in advance  Wink

I have been wonder how people would go about plumbing all this oil system..... With a filter, the Thermo plate and a extra cooler  Huh

By this I really mean where does the oil go first after it exits the pump......

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 15:34:47 pm »

To the filter

T
Lee.C

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 15:51:06 pm »

Right again I know this is probably silly but I want to be 100% sure......

So it goes from the pump to the filter and then back to the case and the other two outlets on the sandwich plate are plumbed to the cooler..... Right?

Its just that I've never used the sandwich plate type set up before and I want to do it right  Wink Smiley

Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 16:21:29 pm »

That's how it work yes.

On my car

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 16:33:36 pm »

That's how it work yes.

On my car

Cool I just wanted to be 100% sure  Wink Smiley

I have been having one more thought about this kind of motor.....

Would it be more "Efficient" to run an Electric Fuel Pump  Huh Huh Huh I have had a few problems over the years with "Stock" mechanical pumps  Undecided

nicolas

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 19:50:54 pm »

i had a 2276 with an FK8, 48dells, well over 6800 rpms, stock fuel pump (original and newer repp), no issues. i also used a electric pump and the only benefit from the later is that the engine doesn't need to 'fill up' on fuel first if it stays still for a longer time.

Lee.C

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 00:34:00 am »

Yeah I know there are good for most situations and the only reason I asked is because "Fuel Pumps" have been the cause of a couple of breakdowns for me..... Just thinking out loud really  Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 00:32:22 am »

I have also been wondering what was ment by this Torben  Huh

" if someone would manufacture a decent intake manifold with REAL manifold preheat"

Can you describe the idea Single carb manifold please  Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2013, 02:53:32 am »

when you get fed up with playing with single carb combs Lee I've got a pair of type 3 single port manifolds for sale Wink

drop me a pm  Smiley

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2013, 19:43:39 pm »

I have also been wondering what was ment by this Torben  Huh

" if someone would manufacture a decent intake manifold with REAL manifold preheat"

Can you describe the idea Single carb manifold please  Smiley
The comment was primarily  in relation to the centermount NDIX carb. But in general, one of the problems with centermount carburettors, stock, Bugspray, Progressive, NDIX or IDF are that the manifold preheat is insufficient to our climate. Some time ago I was visiting Art Traen (ACE) and John Connolly (ACN)  Especially Art and his crew have a vast knowledge in how to make carburettors work in the most weired set ups, limited induction race classes and of course street engines too.  (But John aint lost out the back of a wagon either) We discussed many things, among that stock carb improvements, (That was about the only subject where I was able to teach them something  Roll Eyes Anyway Art taught me a few things, and verified some other issues that I had been puzzling with. And now where the Kadron carbs are getting obsolete, some of this knowledge may come in handy as some people just do not like, cannot work with or simply do not want multiple throat carburettors.

In fact, due to this visit I am now able to make a center mount IDF work on a VW engine. Something I for one have been unable to for 20 years. And like I menthioned above, decent/correct/sufficient manifold heating is on of the steps to make it work properly.

T
PS. Art has sold the VW part of his business to Colton and his brother and is now named Blackline Racing. Just to clear up any misunderstandings.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 20:24:22 pm by Torben Alstrup » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2013, 23:30:20 pm »

Hmmmm interesting.....

I'll be honest one of the reasons I like the single solex is due to the VERY efficient "Auto-choke"..... I know type3's have dual carbs and an auto choke so I have been thinking alot more about these carbs/set-ups

Which is why I bumped this thread..... Any thoughts???

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,13878.0.html

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 22:18:36 pm »

There are also the 34 mm Solex that CB sells. It is originally the carbs used on the SP1. They work quite well, but it takes a little trial and error to get the cold start enrichment to work properly. They come with 22 mm venturies, so that is the first point of attention. Stock 32 and bus 34mm Solex venturies fit right in, so an old worn out set of those can easily act as part locator. They can handle up to 28 mm venturies and are good for just over 90 hp when they are exploited 100% Most will hit the wall around 85 hp.
The linkage is, - well, its there, and it works, but it is kinda wimpy and one of the things I like to replace with someting better. They are slightly less sensetive to needing stacks compared to the stock 32´s (Dont ask me why, it just is so) But they still mix better when a 30-60 mm stack is added, especially on the sgl. port manifolds, most likely because these manifolds are SHORT! I´m sure if one manufactured longer ones they would act about as with dual port maniflds.

In short, I like them, and have them on the shelf, because I feel that it is a nice little set of carbs for very decent money. Dual carbs and a decent 4-1 header WILL always be the easy route to the first 15ish hp. After that you still need to dig into the engine to gain both torque and power.

T
Lee.C

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 22:52:56 pm »

Again thanks for the input..... Superb as always, I know I "should" go with twin carbs but.....  Undecided

I did want to ask if you have a link to a cam that you like to use or maybe just the Spec's  Huh Does JPM do one for this kinda motor  Huh

Again thanks in advance.... You have been VERY informative  Smiley

Torben Alstrup

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2013, 23:01:36 pm »

Just go to CB´s website, or order it from me  Wink

i understand. - i find it fun to make power with these set ups, especially because everyone else cries "dual carbs" before I even get started.

T
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2013, 23:55:11 pm »

i understand. - i find it fun to make power with these set ups, especially because everyone else cries "dual carbs" before I even get started.

T

I find it fun too. I just love the look of confusion on peoples faces when they see a single carb under the engine lid after a run........ Grin

I tried to get the exact cam I wanted for this style of motor, and ended up going with a custom grind that is within 3 degrees at .050" of what I wanted. The specs you may be interested in perhaps, considering it's for this type of motor?

==========
Here's what I think would be the perfect cam for what you're doing. Excellent throttle response and relatively smooth idle, but still a heathy sound. It's a bit bigger than what you originally wanted, but I think yuo'd be really happy with this combo:

Part Number:  CUSTOM

Grind Number:  270-64F

Intake Duration (gross):  270

Exhaust Duration (gross):  264

Intake Duration (.050”):  234

Exhaust Duration (.050”):  228

Intake Valve Lift*:  .462" (.330" lobe)

Exhaust Valve Lift*:  .434" (.310" lobe)

Lobe Separation:  111

Intake Valve Lash:  .004"

Exhaust Valve Lash:   .006"

RPM Range:
 1800-4500+

*Based on 1.4 Rocker Arm Ratio 

$115 custom ground to order.

Kevin Cantrell
Sales & Engineering
Schneider Racing Cams
619-297-0227
===========

Might be worth a try maybe Torben, you'll have your next engine built a LONG time before I finish mine! lol
Lee.C

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 01:05:57 am »

T

Just a thought... Would it be possible for you to "Prep" a pair of 1600sp heads (ports/valve seats/chambers/flycut/etc) for this kind of motor  Huh

Would you need MY heads or do you have "Stock" of heads  Huh

It would be nice to buy pair of properly Prepared/machined/ready to go heads...... oh and a Cam  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: