The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:38:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Happiness is definitely a '66 hot vw!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Happiness is definitely a '66 hot vw!  (Read 24393 times)
nicolas

« on: November 26, 2013, 06:55:00 am »

hey all,

i bought this project little over 1 and a half year ago and i haven't done much to it. i got it and worked a bit on the suspension adding spax shocks at the rear and raising the torsion bars a bit and i also did a check up to run it at DDD 2012.
dispute the wheel hop and the apron coming lose, it actually performed really good. so i was happy. big plans were made to finish the car and i actually did some work, by family and work have taken up quite a bit of time. anyway no excuses, so i slacked on the project…  Roll Eyes

here is the topic of the previous owner:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6858.0.html

since a couple of months now i have been making plans to how and what should be done to the car, therefore a new topic to stay focused and finally get this car out of the garage and onto the streets.

just yesterday it passed MOT again so i can register it again.
i went to the station with Speedwell's 1300 engine i have had in my garage for over a year now and i must say that the sprint kit is a thing of beauty. it looks so different and cool, but it also performs very well. for a 1300 this engine is powerful and responsive. a pleasure to drive. i still need to fine-tune it a bit and return it to its owner as i think i have had it long enough now.

i also went out to find some parts and so far i have come up with a set of real mahle 5 lug gas burners and some lightweight ercos (wide 5) with slicks. for now it sits on the same BRM's which is fine, but i'll need to figure out a plan to combine wide 5 and porsche5 wheels on one car. the gas burners will be painted black (inspiration was taken from SOB's car) i love that look.

i also will be going turbo on this one, but still a long way to go. so i will hopefully be running next season, with the NA 2276 it had and build the 2276 turbo in the meantime.

IRS suspension is on the list as well. but i haven't had the arms and axles yet. i may need to look for another lead as this is taking 2 months now.

anyway, happiness is a hot vw, stay tuned!
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »

allright! i have send in the paperwork to get my license plate, but unfortunately it will be a big square one and not the smaller one you sometimes get. but on the bright side of things i probably could use this plate as an a wing on the car  Grin

i also will separate the shell from the body in the next few months and convert it to IRS (parts for this conversion are welcome) and fit dic brakes on the front along with dropped spindles and a different beam as the one on the car is too low even set at its highest point (i think fabs wants his engine back and i think i could help me out with one)

here's some pictures right before going to the MOT.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

and i did some experiments with the clocks and the outside color…

wolfswest

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 15:23:57 pm »

and i did some experiments with the clocks and the outside color…

[/quote]

tell us more please!  Smiley

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 19:34:53 pm »

Looking forward on this (and pics ofcourse   Cheesy  ).Go for it Nicolas.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 20:06:32 pm »

nico if you need help to remove the body frm the fllorpan  let me know and i will come to help
that would be nice ti have my engine back in the 61 especially for the next freddy files , :oldsoeed theme this year and i miss my speedwell engine ;-)

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
vwcab

peter

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 20:25:24 pm »

nico if you need help to remove the body frm the fllorpan  let me know and i will come to help
that would be nice ti have my engine back in the 61 especially for the next freddy files , :oldsoeed theme this year and i miss my speedwell engine ;-)

Yep,same here.If you need a little help........    Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 16:13:11 pm »

hmmm, i wanted to give a little x-mas present to all who watch this.  Kiss

i'm a big fan of this color, there is one other option that i am looking into, but this works for me.
pancho villa

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 16:25:23 pm »

green is good.
Ill pass on your Christmas gift.
richie

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 16:35:36 pm »

hmmm, i wanted to give a little x-mas present to all who watch this.  Kiss

i'm a big fan of this color, there is one other option that i am looking into, but this works for me.

Wow that is making some oil pressure Shocked Wink Cheesy

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 15:01:55 pm »

Love the color, I know off a sticker that matches it very well...  Cool

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 10:00:50 am »

hahaha!

well i must be spoiling all of you as this must be the second picture in 3 days.  Grin

the (matching ) stickers that were on the car are already long gone. i felt it was better this way.

as for the oil pressure… i bought some stuff that is said to make an interesting outcome if you have a mix of fuel, electrics, exhaust gasses and a GOOD oil pressure  Roll Eyes

i will however be scratching my head a good deal as this is all new to me. watch this space to see the trails and fails!!
Peter

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:05:34 am »

If you need help rewiring everything ,let me know Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 21:12:42 pm »

some confusion has risen…

i got my license plates (the new ones) and i am puzzled. it is a tea tray. it is twice as big as the one i have on the fastback. i KNOW the government is not too keen on altered engines or cars, but they DO send you and wing to mount on the car. strange, but it looks like that is sorted then as well.

it's the one on the right i got and it's the one from the left bottom i wanted, the one on the left top is plain ridiculous and is wider then a beetle.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 09:32:22 am »

they are huge, you must have a really old population with poor eyesight. I can't believe one is half a metre wide!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:46 pm »

they are huge, you must have a really old population with poor eyesight. I can't believe one is half a metre wide!
no we have a government who wants more money , so they've decided that we need new plate  Undecided and we need to pay  again

Jesse Wens

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 13:07:30 pm »

I got one a half meter wide on my fastback, I wanted the smallest one too because thats the only one that fits under the lighting fixture. They told me if the plate physicaly fits you have to get one of the two biggest. Looks ridiculous now. I did get a cool plate with BMX in there. I ride a bmx so thats nice

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
VWGlassee

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:11:43 am »

In mine opinion, the licenseplates for motorcycles are to small for a +'64 decklid Smiley

The big ones are not so bad... i guess Smiley
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm59/VWGlassee/De%2064er%20Zweed/64callook12-1.jpg

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
nicolas

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 20:26:40 pm »

In mine opinion, the licenseplates for motorcycles are to small for a +'64 decklid Smiley

The big ones are not so bad... i guess Smiley
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm59/VWGlassee/De%2064er%20Zweed/64callook12-1.jpg

ah, we'll see. i hate it. but i really like the more classic (3 letters, 3 numbers) plates on a beetle or even the older ones before that.
like i said, i'll make it into an extendable rear wing or something.  Grin
nicolas

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 13:03:33 pm »

i am still making progress as i picked up a set of IRS arms yesterday. i have the spring plates, but no CV's or axles. i will look into updating it to either type2 or 944, but i have no clue on prices or availability. so anyone who can help is welcome with his/hers suggestions.

next up is take up the offer of Fabian and Peter   Tongue  to come over and help out to get the chassis and body separated and the get the brackets welded in.
richie

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 13:12:04 pm »

i am still making progress as i picked up a set of IRS arms yesterday. i have the spring plates, but no CV's or axles. i will look into updating it to either type2 or 944, but i have no clue on prices or availability. so anyone who can help is welcome with his/hers suggestions.

next up is take up the offer of Fabian and Peter   Tongue  to come over and help out to get the chassis and body separated and the get the brackets welded in.

Early steel arm 94 or 924s[ the one with porsche 5 lug hubs] is a good source for the stub axle which allows 944/type bay/t25/type cvs which are all slightly different in ball and cage, with a type 1 IRS box you can use the complete early 944 cvs and axles

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
nicolas

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 20:11:39 pm »

thank you. so i am on the hunt for this complete setup.
nicolas

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 13:57:18 pm »

small update.

the shell is of the chassis in order to get the brackets for the IRS welded in (which i will hopefully receive next week).
the IRS axles are sandblasted and i wanted to order new bearings, but the inner bearing is a C3 type bearing. which have a bit more clearance on them and are mostly used in higher rpm (above 3000) applications. the outside bearing is a 'regular one', different type of bearing though. my question is do i need the C3 type or just the regular one. or does anyone have the correct numbers/brand/type for the bearings as mine seem to be aftermarket.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 18:44:46 pm »

Wink

Good-Old-Ragtop60

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 19:45:14 pm »

Looking awesome!!!!  Grin
Vers harmonious car  Cool
nicolas

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 20:11:46 pm »

Wink

i have a good running engine for that car  Grin. when can i bring it over? PM me.
nicolas

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 20:24:59 pm »

OH BOY!

in order to convert the car to IRS as i always intended, i took the shell off the pan and took the pan apart. it feels a lot like taking 1 step forward and a bunch back.
But the gearbox  needed to be revived anyway (i suspect worn syncros) and the front and rear need to be changed to a 5x130. the back will receive type3 brakes and the front vw dics.
for now i won't be doing much, aside from getting the parts needed to get most of the conversion done.
Wout

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 09:33:43 am »

Hey Nicolas

Maybee you can do a 944 conversion (IRS, 5X130 and disc brakes in the back)?

good luck!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
nicolas

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:35 am »

i have been looking at that option, but for now i have most of the parts needed to do it with type3 brakes and vw parts. we'll see how far this can get me.  Wink
Wout

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 13:28:19 pm »

Ok, good luck!!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
nicolas

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 15:59:25 pm »

allright i did do some work this week, i actually had a few good hours of work on the jigs to weld in the brackets to convert it to IRS.i also had them oiled with some Owatrol, seems to be really good stuff (thanks for the tip Kalle)

i have most parts for the conversion sorted, only the axles are still missing, but i will start grind asap.
i also had some tires fitted to the rims i had done a month back. i opted for a wider tire up front while i was at it, i didn't feel the 135's were going to cut it, so Dunlop 175/65 replace them now. i also think they will look better on the car. the back tires are the nankang 215/70's. they will be fine to do burnouts when time comes  Roll Eyes

the only thing i am not sure about right now is if they will fit a stock front beam with dropped spindles (CB, Disc brakes) or that i need a narrowed beam? i have both here, but the chassis is still not under the car.
i also will need someone to help out rebuild the swing gearbox to IRS with a quaife differential. i want to do the work myself, but there are special measuring tools needed that i don't have.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: