The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2021, 06:40:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
347284 Posts in 27886 Topics by 6557 Members
Latest Member: YuriTarded
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Happiness is definitely a '66 hot vw!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Happiness is definitely a '66 hot vw!  (Read 11715 times)
vwcab

peter

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:12 pm »

Any updates on this one Nicolas?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
nicolas

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 14:44:13 pm »

i wish i could say a lot, but in fact only a small bit has been done, the chassis is still not under the car.

i have put my engery in the type3 to get that one running and dailed to have at least a car that can go out this year. i have found it no use to attack two projects and have none finished.

on an upside i have made a swap with Fabs for a stock width front beam, and i do have other parts to put it all together again. i am still not sure what way i am going with the gearbox as in the long run i want a turbo engine with a type2 gearbox, but i only have a core and not an actual good useable box to build in right now. i do have type1 boxes that could be made to a usable IRS box, but they need a checkup as well.

even the old combo NA 2276 engine and gearbox could be an option, but that needs work too, as when i used it at DDD in 2012 the gearbox was not really happy and it seemed at the time the sycros are used up.

that is in short what i am at.  Roll Eyes

and as much as i had my mind set on going to Cotswelds in the UK to have a cage fitted this route is becoming more and more expensive as our euro is becoming increasinly less worth compared to the UK pound.
i have no contacts with builders here on the mainland to have it done, and the idea of making my own has been put on hold as i want it to be certified for events. so anyone who can help or point me a bit in the right direction n this is much appreciated.  Grin

nicolas

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 07:49:24 am »

i wish i could say a lot, but in fact only a small bit has been done, the chassis is still not under the car.

i have put my engery in the type3 to get that one running and dailed to have at least a car that can go out this year. i have found it no use to attack two projects and have none finished.

on an upside i have made a swap with Fabs for a stock width front beam, and i do have other parts to put it all together again. i am still not sure what way i am going with the gearbox as in the long run i want a turbo engine with a type2 gearbox, but i only have a core and not an actual good useable box to build in right now. i do have type1 boxes that could be made to a usable IRS box, but they need a checkup as well.

even the old combo NA 2276 engine and gearbox could be an option, but that needs work too, as when i used it at DDD in 2012 the gearbox was not really happy and it seemed at the time the sycros are used up.

that is in short what i am at.  Roll Eyes

and as much as i had my mind set on going to Cotswelds in the UK to have a cage fitted this route is becoming more and more expensive as our euro is becoming increasinly less worth compared to the UK pound.
i have no contacts with builders here on the mainland to have it done, and the idea of making my own has been put on hold as i want it to be certified for events. so anyone who can help or point me a bit in the right direction n this is much appreciated.  Grin

by the looks of it I was in a fase of the build where I didn't see much light at the end of the tunnel...
nicolas

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 08:00:03 am »

so fast forward a few years.  Grin

a few months ago I talked to a friend on the phone who asked me about the car... I didn't even know someone even remembered it.
he said I call you every week to hear about the progress. needless to say he didn't, but for me it sparked something.
so I took off were I left the project dwindle and thought the best way to enjoy it is to get it back on the road and go from there.

everything was bolted back together and the engine went back in in NA configuration. BUT the arms of the IRS conversion were welded in wrong. no one to blame but me. after fiddling with it for a few days it was clear it would never work.

so I cut them out again and started again. this time I did have the trailing arms to see and correct if needed. again a few days/week work and after that I checked the floorpan to find repairs that were badly done or not done. I redid that as well. I even made a few mods to fix the midmount and some sort of jack stands.

nothing major when I see the projects from others here on this forum. just what I can do myself and my goal is to get the damn car out for a drive.

happiness is tinkering in the garage.  Grin
Wout

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 00:39:14 am »

And?Huh?....

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
Peter

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 09:49:51 am »

X2 Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 19:05:28 pm »

oh oh...

Roll Eyes

not much has happened. well, some bits were done. the chassis was powder coated and has been back a few months now.
right after I sent it out I started on my driveway and carport.

so a big bummer, but I am hanging in there  Wink
Wout

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 19:49:58 pm »

It will come all right at the end  Cheesy.

During lockdown I also worked 99% on the garden, outdoor stuff and only 1% air-cooled  Roll Eyes so I understand.

Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
VWGlassee

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 23:39:12 pm »

A few months ago I talked to a friend on the phone who asked me about the car... I didn't even know someone even remembered it.
he said I call you every week to hear about the progress. needless to say he didn't, but for me it sparked something.

If you want we can all started calling you every week to ask how the project is going?  Cheesy

I know the feeling. It took me almost 5 years to build mine...
Get that driveway done so you can start on your build  Grin

Yannick

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
nicolas

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2020, 11:41:43 am »

It will come all right at the end  Cheesy.

During lockdown I also worked 99% on the garden, outdoor stuff and only 1% air-cooled  Roll Eyes so I understand.

Wout

at least you got 1%!!! if putting the chassis in a different place counts I get 0,2%

A few months ago I talked to a friend on the phone who asked me about the car... I didn't even know someone even remembered it.

If you want we can all started calling you every week to ask how the project is going?  Cheesy

I know the feeling. It took me almost 5 years to build mine...
Get that driveway done so you can start on your build  Grin

Yannick

yes, that could work, but I it was tried and tested last year and almost worked. I just need to get it done (all of it)  Grin

but thanks for the thoughts, I only now found my way back to the forum because of the notification and what was/is still boiling under my skin can be put into practise in the next few weeks, months, centuries  Wink Grin
volkskris

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2020, 20:21:18 pm »

Any progress Nicolas?  Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2021, 19:59:08 pm »

Any progress Nicolas?  Smiley

yes, but not much.

I have been trying to get the fuel lines sorted. the hard lines are in the chassis and I have finally ordered a fuel pump and now I hope to get a good idea on how to run it, what connections to use and get it made.

but mostly I seem to be working on others engines. which is great but not helping my own project...  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: