The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:26:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350679 Posts in 28572 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Gasburners vs Fuch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gasburners vs Fuch?  (Read 9980 times)
Deanodynosaurs

« on: July 31, 2015, 16:03:33 pm »

I've been wondering about this for a while and I really cant get my head around it......................

Irrespective of which you like best, why do Fuch seem to have a almost double price tag to genuine gasburners?

I'd say gasburners are much rarer due to the habit of disintegrating in the prescience of air, but there still quite a bit cheaper?! Huh I know 4.5" 15 are pretty rare, but I'd argue so are gasburners.

Or is it just a demand thing that everybody and his dog wants Fuch, thus they cost more?

Thoughts please. Smiley

Dude

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 16:29:50 pm »

Fuch look better on a bus, and that's where the money is.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
richie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 17:00:43 pm »

Fuch are whats correct for most of the high end 911s now as they came from factory and given how insane the cars have got I actually think the wheels are cheap in comparison to the cars!!!!

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 17:08:37 pm »

Ha! True!

Fuch are whats correct for most of the high end 911s now as they came from factory and given how insane the cars have got I actually think the wheels are cheap in comparison to the cars!!!!

cheers Richie

I haven't thought about it that way but you're absolutely right. Any early Porsche or part is crazy money these days.

Fuchs are timeless. They've been used on every custom style VW since nearly the beginning, and they always look good. Can't go wrong with a set of alloys on anything. I feel like Jim Kaforski's (sp?) DKP car was the first car that really put gas burners on the map, and that really wasn't that long ago.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
richie

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 17:15:04 pm »

Ha! True!

cheers Richie

I haven't thought about it that way but you're absolutely right. Any early Porsche or part is crazy money these days.

Fuchs are timeless. They've been used on every custom style VW since nearly the beginning, and they always look good. Can't go wrong with a set of alloys on anything. I feel like Jim Kaforski's (sp?) DKP car was the first car that really put gas burners on the map, and that really wasn't that long ago.

Henry Oelkers car with gasburners before that for me,but I would say that Grin   but yes they have been lot less popular, maybe because they are so much work to keep nice eh Neil?

For me Fuch would have to be anodised factory finish, the shiny stuff just doesn't look right, to many shitty copies spoiled it along with all the other poor fakes Angry

cheers Richie

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 17:29:34 pm »

Ha! True!

cheers Richie

Henry Oelkers car with gasburners before that for me,but I would say that Grin   but yes they have been lot less popular, maybe because they are so much work to keep nice eh Neil?

For me Fuch would have to be anodised factory finish, the shiny stuff just doesn't look right, to many shitty copies spoiled it along with all the other poor fakes Angry

cheers Richie

I agree as well on the anodized finish. I've got a set of 14's and late 15's waiting to go on something...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 17:38:32 pm »

......................but yes they have been lot less popular, maybe because they are so much work to keep nice eh Neil?

cheers Richie

Don't even go there!! I have spent about 8 hours polishing my set for a photo shoot with the car on Sunday and there still not done! My fingers are bleeding, and I've lost sensation in half of them!! Cheesy

I think I might just let them dull down after this!! Cheesy

Dude Cool

vwhelmot

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 22:30:28 pm »

Haha, saw that on FB.
Photo shoot for who buddy?
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 23:39:29 pm »

Haha, saw that on FB.
Photo shoot for who buddy?

Just finished them tonight!! What a ball ache!! :-s

Saying that they look great.  Smiley

Volksworld Smiley

Dude Cool

vwhelmot

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 23:44:49 pm »

Happy days. Always preferred gas burners to Fuchs any day. I've been looking for a set for my project but fallen short for now.  I might stick with my remotecs which are far rarer than gas burners and Fuch put together.   Mind you, rarer doesn't make them nicer!
flatfire

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 02:55:15 am »

The first time I saw gas burners was in a feature by volksworld on the DKP. I think the bug was an off white shade. As soon as I saw them, I phoned Karmann Konnection. They sourced a set with a spare, fully stove enamelled for an amazing price. They looked great on my 67 in 95. Although the bug let the wheels down IMHO. Smiley Its a great discussion as Fuchs, Gas Burners and Porsche American racing mags are equals  Smiley
karl h

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 07:51:26 am »

i have a set of both (5 each) and cant decide which i like better, but i think i will run the burners on my project 63 because i bought them from Mark H (RIP buddy)
and please: its Fuchs, singular and plural
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:53:28 am by karl h » Logged

Neil Davies

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 11:12:06 am »

The first time I saw gas burners was in a feature by volksworld on the DKP. I think the bug was an off white shade. As soon as I saw them, I phoned Karmann Konnection. They sourced a set with a spare, fully stove enamelled for an amazing price. They looked great on my 67 in 95. Although the bug let the wheels down IMHO. Smiley Its a great discussion as Fuchs, Gas Burners and Porsche American racing mags are equals  Smiley

I remember your car - wasn't it in Fl4t magazine before it became Total VW? I'd not seen another set back then and wasn't sure what they were but liked them.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
richie

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:57:17 pm »

The first time I saw gas burners was in a feature by volksworld on the DKP. I think the bug was an off white shade.

Those actual wheels are on old cabrio Smiley

Its a great discussion as Fuchs, Gas Burners and Porsche American racing mags are equals  Smiley

now a set of magnesium Americans I would like in Porsche pattern Cool, but never been able to justify money when they rarely come up for sale

cheers Richie

dannyboy

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 17:59:05 pm »

the factory anodised ones are nice and easy to maintain  Smiley

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Bruce

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 20:52:34 pm »

Fuchs have the advantage of a wide variety of sizes vs. the one for the Mahle.

I've heard guys say they don't like the Mahles in original form because they look like a cheap modern car's plastic wheel cover.  Painted dark with polished accents fixes that.

You can't deny the increase in popularity of the GB after Jim Kaforski's car appeared on the hotVW's All About Performance Engines. 
Then they were right at home painted flat black or blue on the Shitbox.
Who else thinks Richie should put a set on the yellow cab? 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 21:07:03 pm by Bruce » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 22:06:30 pm »

I remember when Richie debuted the old cab after its makeover back in 2006 at VoWo with Fuchs on it - off Mat's '63? It looked amazing, firstly because it was so different and secondly because there weren't the multitude of Fuchs copies like there are now.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
GASBNR

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 03:08:42 am »

I prefer gasburners

Had a number of 901 parts no wheels over the years. But always and up selling them.

Love the way the gasburners look.

Love them on any cal looker. Didn't like them when put I them on my resto cal car. The sprints look good on that as do the brms.

But would never sell my original gasburners. And my fingers hurt too dude.

Love your work.  Cool

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
flatfire

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 20:58:34 pm »

[/quote]

now a set of magnesium Americans I would like in Porsche pattern Cool, but never been able to justify money when they rarely come up for sale

cheers Richie
[/quote]

I had a four and a spare which was slightly different. Been kicking myself ever since I sold them. I liked the aluminum ones you had for sale on your site.  Smiley
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:27 am »

Gasburners is a function over form thing, I can't for the life of me understand who would run such a ugly wheel if it wasn't for the low weight.
Gasburners copies frankly baffles me.  Huh
I got way more fuchs than I do gasburners, and I wouldn't part with a single one... that's like selling your dreams! If you have a set of wheels, all you need is a car!  Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
flatfire

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 09:17:34 am »

Thankfully no one has replicated the American racing Porsche pattern.  Smiley
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:15 pm »

Thankfully no one has replicated the American racing Porsche pattern.  Smiley

yet

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 17:40:58 pm »

And when they do, I'll buy some!  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
flatfire

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 21:59:21 pm »

I was hoping someone would say they are in the process of making replicas Grin
The perfect shape the perfect look.   Smiley
bmxnut65

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 04:28:38 am »

I like both wheels, I had a set of burners on my car then my vert. Then I sold them to Richie and I put alloys on my car after that. The first car I saw burners on were Jeff Denham's black 67. Richie, do you have any extra burners.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 11:17:01 am »

Flatfire I’m with you on the Gas Burners and American Racing, and to a extent on the Fuchs. Don’t get me wrong, there a GREAT looking wheel, but sadly the bus crowd have just done them to death. Saying that if they came up at a good price I’d happily run em on the ragtop! Smiley

cheers Richie
I had a four and a spare which was slightly different. Been kicking myself ever since I sold them. I liked the aluminum ones you had for sale on your site.  Smiley

Are these the ones Rodders had off you? I think he’s still got them. I think you’ll struggle to get him to sell em though!!  Cry

and please: its Fuchs, singular and plural

Sorry karl, noted.  Wink

I prefer gasburners
Had a number of 901 parts no wheels over the years. But always and up selling them.
Love the way the gasburners look.
Love them on any cal looker. Didn't like them when put I them on my resto cal car. The sprints look good on that as do the brms.
But would never sell my original gasburners. And my fingers hurt too dude.
Love your work.  Cool

I’m with you on the gasburner. I think there one of the classic cal look wheels. Smiley
Oh, and my fingers are recovering, but it gonna be worth it as I’ve had a sneak preview of the photos that were taken for Volksworld Mag on Sunday and they look great. Smiley I do think I might let them grey a bit now though, for my fingers, sanity, and marriage!!.  Grin

Gasburners is a function over form thing, I can't for the life of me understand who would run such a ugly wheel if it wasn't for the low weight.
Gasburners copies frankly baffles me.  Huh
I got way more fuchs than I do gasburners, and I wouldn't part with a single one... that's like selling your dreams! If you have a set of wheels, all you need is a car!  Wink

Each to there own Jon, be a boring world if we all liked the same thing. Smiley

Fuch are what's correct for most of the high end 911s now as they came from factory and given how insane the cars have got I actually think the wheels are cheap in comparison to the cars!!!!

cheers Richie

Richie, never thought of it that way, that’s a damn good point. Smiley

Dude  Cool

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: