The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 20:59:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Queries bunch of old school stuff Possibly Sauer & Sohn.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Queries bunch of old school stuff Possibly Sauer & Sohn.  (Read 14205 times)
benlawrence

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 13:26:51 pm »

...  so do you guys think they are Sauer heads??

It's hard to say, if not impossible.

About 20 years ago a friend of mine purchased a '49 bug on a late 60's floorpan. It got the "full treatment" in the late 70's somewhere in Germany. Lowered to the max, two Scheel bucket seats, 1600cc Type 1 with 46IDAs, heads similar to the shown above, the cam was supposed to come from a Formula Vee. We were told it had "way more than 120 horses". We put it back into service after more than 10 years sitting in a shop. After the first testdrive we were quite disappointed about it's poor performance. We double checked everything but it didn't get much better. We took the engine apart just to find out that the #3/4 side had a compression of about 11:1 while the #1/2 side had just 8.5:1... Seems like somebody put on a copy to replace a fatal damaged head without the necessary know how.

What I want to say is these heads sure could be Sauer heads, at the same time they could be copies of a proven head design. Either way they are the real oldschool deal, especially in combination with the other parts. I'd check them and use them as they are if possible.

If you have trouble finding the correct spray bar let me know, I might can help.

Saludos,

Ole

Hi Ole, i am struggling bigtime to get hold of a spray bar and holder, ive contacted various outlets for early stuff but no one has had the courtesy to call back (as they said the would) even if they couldnt supply the part i need, its frustrating, so if anyone has what i need it would be a BIG help.

Thanks

Ben
cel

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 19:05:19 pm »

Hi!

Maybe they have the spraybars in stock?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=356-60-65&section=107-15

Pos. 48

Nice greetings and a
Happy new year!

Marcel
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 19:11:57 pm by cel » Logged
benlawrence

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 23:03:49 pm »

I think we are finally getting somewhere, many thanks to those who chimed in on where to look for various parts, everything i needed to rebuild the carbs landed this week, they are pretty much finished and ready to run, i have primed them and checked accel pump operation and its 100%, the short block is now together up at Daves, he is waiting on valves for the heads which should hopefully be here next week, with any luck it should be fully built and ready to run within the next couple of weeks or so.

benlawrence

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 00:58:53 am »

I thought it would be best to wrap this up, thank you so much to everyone who has chimed in with regards to this engine.

It is now built and finished.  Grin Grin

We ran it up today but not before a huge amount of work went into it, as "Caddy" has mentioned.

The heads needed a LOT of work, the seats were all over the place, they have been sorted, all new install heights matched with a nice 3 angle valve job, all new  cutback and tapered guides, new valves throughout.
The crank has been ground and new bearings machined and modified (oil squirters) to suit.
The unknown dry sump has been removed (for now) in favour of a 30mm pump and deep sump.
the carbs have been fully gone though by myself and are now perfect.
Barells dial bored for true/ovality and honed, new rings on the npr/deano pistons.

Caddy had it all built back up and ready to run yesterday, he ran it up on some 44's, i installed the solex pII's on the s&s manifolds this morning and fired it up, a quick tune revealed a couple of issues, one check valve below the accel pump was sticking and bleeding fuel from the float chamber back into the progression chamber and filling once the engine was shut off, a quick strip down and trouble shoot cleared that up, i then tuned it down to an 1150 rpm idle to keep that oil pressure up nice and high and that was pretty much it job done.
It sounds fantastic, compression is fairly tame around 8.5 with the hemi chambers and just under 1.5 deck. but with the 32mm vents its snappy and docile at idle and everything seems 100%, my job was the carbs, and im so happy they work fantastically we had to fabricate an adapter for the snail so i could accurately dial them in but they run nice, really really nice.

Its just down to the customer to install and enjoy now, there was no point giving you pictures of it on the test bench as its running test tinware et al, which doesnt do the engine justice, but thats another bit of history somewhere in the vw tuning world saved.

Thanks again for your input folks, i really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:02:43 am by benlawrence » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: