The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 15:36:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Any experience with CB fuel injection???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any experience with CB fuel injection???  (Read 6378 times)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« on: December 16, 2013, 00:12:14 am »

I'm considering trying a CB FI setup, as stated in title ... does anyone care to share real world experiences?
Thanks!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:19:12 am »

I'm considering trying a CB FI setup, as stated in title ... does anyone care to share real world experiences?
Thanks!
TxT

My two cents: a EFI without ignition control and extensive logging is as useful as a sailboat without wind.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
drgouk

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:32 am »

Thanks!
TxT

My two cents: a EFI without ignition control and extensive logging is as useful as a sailboat without wind.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7070
Is there any wind here?
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:04:56 am »

Perhaps in your sails but not mine. Match it with their crank trigger kit #2092 and an external logger and you are getting there. As an overall package it is a good deal at least even after paying the freight and import tax. I would recommend the complete set up from VWSpeedshop with a DTA ECU, his new IDF manifolds and his crank trigger kit. The DTA S60 ECU with its latest updates is right where an ECU should be in 2014.

-BB-

drgouk

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:35 am »

Perhaps in your sails but not mine. Match it with their crank trigger kit #2092 and an external logger and you are getting there. As an overall package it is a good deal at least even after paying the freight and import tax. I would recommend the complete set up from VWSpeedshop with a DTA ECU, his new IDF manifolds and his crank trigger kit. The DTA S60 ECU with its latest updates is right where an ECU should be in 2014.

-BB-

Autronic, Motec or life racing blow my sails, thanks.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:57:35 am »

Autronic, Motec or life racing blow my sails, thanks.

Indeed. But not if you are on a budget. The entry Motec ECU alone cost more than the complete CB kit.

pupjoint

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 14:21:48 pm »

hi Tom,

for your location, i would avoid getting anything from the UK. reason is local sales and service. if DTA has support in Texas, by all means go for it.

i recently converted my car to EFI and i went with Haltech due to local support.

I personally i would go for the CB hardwares, or TWM stuff, crank trigger and then get any aftermarket ECU that has local support, or any shop that sells and can get it fixed for you.

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 20:58:56 pm »

Thanks, PupJoint, for the closest thing to a straight answer!
Hopefully someone will read the original question and have a appropriate response.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Chris bugster

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 23:58:47 pm »

I was also hoping to get an answer from someone who has used it as I have most of the kit waiting on the shelf and want to fit it to my 2165. The throttle bodies and crank trigger are CB but the comp is EMU, a local (polish) product.

11.2@124mph
ESH

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 00:35:37 am »

It's actually considerably less useful, in the event of being on a sailboat without wind you can sit around and drink dark & stormy's and absolutely nothing on the boat will break. Without ignition control, shit will break, much like a sailboat in wind after the crew have been at the dark & stormy's.
pupjoint

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:06:29 am »

I was also hoping to get an answer from someone who has used it as I have most of the kit waiting on the shelf and want to fit it to my 2165. The throttle bodies and crank trigger are CB but the comp is EMU, a local (polish) product.

the kit/hardware i would say are more or less the same in one way or another, they all serve the same function and in your case you have another ECU, so in theory it should work as good as the guy who tunes it.

the guy who built mine uses the full CB hardware kit, CB 48 throttle bodies, injectors on the manifolds, CB trigger kit, CB filters and linkage, motor is 2276, CB crank/rods, heads, with custom turbo from Owen Development. he also opted for a Haltech brain. 
pupjoint

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 02:09:04 am »

It's actually considerably less useful, in the event of being on a sailboat without wind you can sit around and drink dark & stormy's and absolutely nothing on the boat will break. Without ignition control, shit will break, much like a sailboat in wind after the crew have been at the dark & stormy's.

most ecus have ignition control for many years now i think, CB included, cant think of any that doesnt. even the budget Haltech ones do nowadays.

i have to admit i personally prefer ECUs from Australia and UK.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 02:59:33 am »

Hey Tom, I've never used it, but i heard about a guy that was gonna put that on.....seriously though, call Doug from Kymco in Newport Beach, he had it on his car, but I'll let him tell you in his own words.

Martin S.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:00:10 am »

That kit looks like it has fantastic value. I opted for Electromotive because that's what my mechanic was dealing in at the time and had experience tuning with it. From what I remember, the ECU box alone was a couple thousand and the list of sensors, etc., went on and on. And that's not to mention all the custom machining that was done, like adding injector bosses to the CB manifolds I bought, and adapting a 009 distributor to use as a sequential crank sensor, machining a proper throttle body out of a VW van stock one, etc., etc., etc. It looks like there are a couple options like fuel injectors (no big deal) and a choice of ignition sensor options they mention that could add to the price, but LOOK what is included! Tons of stuff, and for that price, GO FOR IT!!!!
Here's a pic of my engine, with its Cal-Look theme (no nonsense, stock look) as a poor man's Porsche built by a guy in his 30's, so updated for our times.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Jeff68

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 14:35:29 pm »

I'm interested in hearing about real world experience with the CB system as well.  I've read the magazine articles and advertisements but would like to hear real user experiences with it.
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 18:47:40 pm »

Dunno with the new CB system.
But I can definitely vouch for the Electromotive TecS for our 4 cyl engines. Easier to work with than the DTA (Maybe not if you buy the complete package from Speed shop) Has tons of blend features. This is the ECU we usually swop to when people are getting fed up with their Megasquat,,,, erhm squirt ECU.

T
K-Roc

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 19:15:44 pm »

Dunno with the new CB system.
But I can definitely vouch for the Electromotive TecS for our 4 cyl engines. Easier to work with than the DTA (Maybe not if you buy the complete package from Speed shop) Has tons of blend features. This is the ECU we usually swop to when people are getting fed up with their Megasquat,,,, erhm squirt ECU.

T

Just curious Torben, what is the biggest problem you see with the Megasquirt?

I'm running MS2 with Wasted spark and it works pretty well with the exception of my acceleration enrichment. ( always have had difficulty in getting that perfect )

Cheers
Paul H

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 20:14:12 pm »

hi Tom,

for your location, i would avoid getting anything from the UK. reason is local sales and service. if DTA has support in Texas, by all means go for it.

i recently converted my car to EFI and i went with Haltech due to local support.

I personally i would go for the CB hardwares, or TWM stuff, crank trigger and then get any aftermarket ECU that has local support, or any shop that sells and can get it fixed for you.

That's a good point about local support for the ECU and the main reason I chose to supply the AEM EMS-4 for the US market-Plenty of AEM tuners about
dannyboy

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 18:26:36 pm »

i have just had my engine dynoed for my 66 vert  its a 2276 with stock rockers a 120 cam and gac wedgeports running a 45mm idf pattern speedshop efi kit
it made 169.8fwhp at 6k very pleased with the results and the kit it runs the aem ems4 ecu and i definatly recomend it over my old cb setup that was using a dta ecu and cb tbs etc

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: