The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:55:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350804 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Toughening up a gearbox...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Toughening up a gearbox...  (Read 2634 times)
Warks_Dubber

« on: January 05, 2014, 16:11:08 pm »

Afternoon all....

Next stage of things...

Engine plans all under way for the new season.... So I guess the next thing is the dreaded gearbox!

Financial realities mean I will be having to use stock gearboxes for the foreseeable future.

I have a 1970 Bug that runs a swingaxle box. I have one box on the car and a couple in pieces to build spare boxes with....

The question is: What can I do (if anything) to strengthen a box to try and get as much life as possible out of it? I currently run a Kennedy Stage 1 Clutch.

As always, any suggestions are gratefully received and appreciated.

Jas.

dragvw2180

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 17:51:21 pm »

Run the lightest pound pressure plate you can get by with . Keep your eyes open for a single sideplate irs transmission for parts , hopefully with a 3.88 and the heavier duty super beetle mainshaft. If this is a race only transmission you can use an 8 bolt stock diff and weld the spider gears together ( ran one for years, also used fulcrum plates to weld between spider gears as filler ) and create a spool. Alot has to do with your abilities. If you plan to launch it hard I would reinforce the rear framehorns and run solid mounts.  I had time but not much money when I started racing so I did these things.Hope this will help .  Mike McCarthy
glenn

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 17:57:36 pm »

and the heavier duty super beetle mainshaft.
No such thing as a "Super Beetle" mainshaft. All SSC (Single Side Cover) transaxles had the same late model mainshaft. So for 73-79 all Beetles and Super Beetles had SSC transaxles woth the same mainshaft and 3.875 r/p.

To the original question... the SSC is not an option since you car is swingaxle and the SSC is IRS.

Do you plan on rebuilding it? If so there's a number of things you can do. Either way you want to reduce and eliminate wheel hop which can cause a broken tranny case.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 18:00:30 pm by glenn » Logged

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Warks_Dubber

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 18:04:14 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Already have solid mounts etc. roll cage will be tied in to the frame horns too...

It's the internals stuff you have given me that's great...

Given limited time before season (bearing in mind car is still rolling shell!) I will probably start with stock box and build a stronger one for when/if that goes...

Jas.
richie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 19:06:45 pm »

So for 73-79 all Beetles and Super Beetles had SSC transaxles woth the same mainshaft and 3.875 r/p.

Not over here, we had flat screen swing axle beetles up to 77, maybe 78 from what I learnt so late double side cover boxes are around, probably the best starting point for a budget race box Smiley

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
dragvw2180

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 22:43:06 pm »

Glenn , LOL,  I already knew about SSC and previous boxes , I was using the super beetle as a discriptive label so no confusion would be had. Oh and you CAN use the SSC box in a swingaxle car by converting it to IRS , add brackets and componants but what I was suggesting is using the componants from inside the ssc to beef up his swingaxle which I have done many times. Rancho used to discribe the mainshaft as a Superbeetle mainshaft back in the day , I bought the first one from Sam at the old Gear Box Shop when he owned it. What they did was have the shaft ground down and keyed to make the conversion easier but I have made it work by interchanging parts from differant years. At any rate there is alot that can be done without spending alot of money. Mik McCarthy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: