The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:48:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  VW 1300 '72 GT3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: VW 1300 '72 GT3  (Read 34038 times)
-Alex-

« on: January 13, 2014, 14:14:44 pm »

I finally decided to introduce my  VW project.  I am so sorry to say that will not be a cal-look style car...actually i am not  Grin

First years ( about 10 years ) it was mixture of...something.  It started as '72 1300 model, rusty, green, swingaxle and drums all around   Tongue  First engine was of course hopped up 1600cc with drla carb, and then dual carbs. Later was 1835cc, and with all stock chrome + 16" porsche look a like wheels. Last engine was 2276cc with dual carbs and then for a while with fuel injection.  At that point car was, well, uh, unique, roll cage, wide fenders, no bumpers, same 16" wheels etc. Ugly as hell, but it got looks at our small town Cheesy

Roughly about 4 years, destination has been clear.  I did decide to make it totally from ground up. So i sold most of the old parts.   The new look will be a GERMANLOOK with really fast and reliable tech.  

Something like this:

Body is now under rustrepairs , and it gets 3cm widened early style CSP fenders to front and back 6cm widened early style fenders, no elephant foot taillights  Tongue

Also ofcourse rollcage is added and black recaro seats  Smiley

Wheel+tire combo will be 18" Porsche oe alloys and 225/40 + 265/35 rubber.

Engine will be:

-2789cc engine

-TF1 case and Nickies + JE's

-SCAT 86 flanged crank

TP Billet heads + 48x38 valves etc.

-Megasquirt + CB 48 TB's

-JPM cam + Udo's lifters

-Drysump

-TP 911 fanshroud for his heads

-Front oilcooler

-Stainless exhaust..

Transaxle:

-Berg bus 5-speed

-All weddle gears: 3.44-1.93-1.3-1.00-0.77 + 4.13 r&p

-Peloquin torsen diff

Suspension and brakes

-Mendeola A-arm front suspension

-944 turbo rear aluarms

-Remmele uniball system

-QA1 coilovers

-18mm swaybar

-330x28 and 300x24 ap rotors with custom hats..

-996 front calipers at front and 986 front calipers at back
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 16:07:09 pm by -Alex- » Logged

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
-Alex-

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 16:09:49 pm »

Some parts designed and some gathered around four years:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 18:34:27 pm by -Alex- » Logged

While Cal-Look stands still, looking backwards for inspiration, German Look keeps pushing boundaries further forward Cheesy
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 14:52:51 pm »

Wow.
That list of parts sounds more expensive than my house! lol
(I have a very small little house, but still.........).

SSSHHHHH!!!! Don't tell them it's not Cal look..........
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 16:14:31 pm »

Yeah but you can't race your house Cheesy

He can always sleep in his car Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
thehanz DVK

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 19:45:27 pm »

Lot's off Nice things....don't mind it's not callook.   (Yet )

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
-Alex-

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 21:21:00 pm »

Yeah, i am guy who likes almost all kind of cars...except 99% of  bimmers and some not for purpose built cars Grin

Here is some rustrepair done, and mendeola installation. Not exactly a rust free california car  Wink

Jeff68

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 15:31:25 pm »

Wow!! What a awesome set of parts! I like where you're going with your car.  You will be able to "have it all" with a car built this way.

As much as I love Cal-look cars I also really like German look cars as well. Both styles / types can haul a$$ but the German Look type will probably stop and handle better.  Can't wait to see the progress! Best of luck with this Project!
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 16:15:17 pm »

X2!
 Wink

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 13:14:44 pm »

As much as I love Cal-look cars I also really like German look cars as well.

Me too.
Now that you mention it, I just like the "Volkswagen" look the best!  Wink

Quick question though, genuine one coz I don't have any experience with the front end you're running, are there any benefits to this double-A-arm style (part from maybe adjustability I guess) compared to a well set up and mildly modded 1303 strut or aftermarket strut set up?
-Alex-

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 13:38:47 pm »

I have no personal experience about comparison between mendeola a-arm and superbeetle strut suspension.    But accordingly to mendeola, this should be better than superbeetle suspension  Grin       But i think if you can design properly double a-arm suspension and single arm strut suspension from scratch, double a-arm should be better. 

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/educate-me-macpherson-struts-vs-double-wishbone-86573/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_wishbone_suspension

Also think that 70's beetle looks better with early -67 fenders + 911 lights (that wine red beetle) than  1303  Cheesy

Eddie DVK

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:42:18 am »

Hi Alex.

I thought the Mendeola was a 'bolt on' but see you welded the bottom to the floorpan?

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
-Alex-

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 21:14:48 pm »

Yeah, mendeola is weld-on, but it aligns with bolts, as you can see.  Just ordered some lasercut parts for rollcage, i was thinking to connect the rollcage to mendeola bulkhead.

-Alex-

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 20:20:59 pm »

Bodywork continues....not exactly a MAT standard, but good enough for me.

Will be smoothed and  finished before paint, just like SePi's beetle interior.  

Got a really bad rap about the work on Finnish VW forum from "Pro's"  Huh

As far as i did understand, there was no ready and small sheetmetal parts for this. It actually looks a lot better with naked eyes.

Maybe at spring time i will buy again some parts, doesnt matter what first, i'v been drooling Goodridge 811 hose connectors (i need many of them( and JPM valvestuff  Grin

Just recently i got great idea, i want bumpers (carbonfiber ofcourse), but what about bumperbrackets? Maybe lasercut from 3mm aluminum, for sure light enough  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 20:24:31 pm by -Alex- » Logged

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 14:15:26 pm »

Got a really bad rap about the work on Finnish VW forum from "Pro's"  Huh

Some people DO get a bit precious at times about their own personal 50 year old cheap economy car, so that translates into how everybody else should do theirs I guess.

I'd rather see the thing driving for 10 years than sitting in a shed saving enough cash for the "Pro's" to do it.
Keep at it man, don't let them get you down.
-Alex-

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »

Sheetmetal work done more, just now left some small welding and rollgage.  I got those inner panels from Avery's Aircooled, now the inside looks so clean.

-Alex-

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 12:56:24 pm »

Might try to fit  different drysump tank, which i'd like to fit near the transaxle outside of cabin.  Only problem is that there will be a 5 bar shock tower support, so i designed a slim one..

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 18:49:52 pm by -Alex- » Logged

-Alex-

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 18:53:09 pm »

Few days ago i emailed to JPM, to order Raptor 282@ cam and Wasp header  Grin

He must be at holiday now, not yet answered  Huh

I am thinking Wasp stage 2 header, 220 to 290hp, should be okay? Waiting opinion from Johannes.

Jeff68

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 14:14:23 pm »

I would love to try that header! I think the only negative thing for me is that the pipes don't allow the use of the stock thermostat that controls the shutters in the fan shroud.
-Alex-

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 21:04:46 pm »

I am only relying to oilthermostat, since TP heads does not allow stock style fanshrouds, must use specially designed 911 style fanshroud for his heads.

-Alex-

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 21:34:15 pm »

Probably forgotten to show transaxle, here it is:

-Alex-

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 21:41:26 pm »

Sheetmetalworks almost done, we are now fitting the rollcage.  Door, seatbelt and baars to the mendeola and rear will be added.  Doorbaar will be littlebit lower than before, because car will be streetcar and trackdaycar.

-Alex-

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 21:46:14 pm »

Also ordered today Racers Edge adapter bolts for 944 aluarms to get QA1 coilovers to fit.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Racers-Edge-Rear-Shock-Mount-p/re_mc7000.htm

Frallan

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 19:22:07 pm »

That is a very nice build! Congratulations!

-Alex-

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 18:29:47 pm »

Thanks Frallan!    Sheetmetal work has been a little slow at start, but now were are doing fine, but as usual, i suspect that getting it painted may take 3-5 weeks. I do have only small garage, so its better to get done the sheetmetal work with ex-coworker who is professional autoboy painter. 

Few days ago we test fitted the seat, fits well and good position with prototype seat frame, i might get eventually a shorter one.  Otherwise Recaro seat is tight fit at beetle, sidebars need one bend at least. I insisted to put sidebar front end to low enough, because i am not building a full racecar. 

We did put some support from main hoop to rear torsionbar tubes. 

Would anybody recommend tube / brace from rollgage to mendeola suspension frame to get extra protection at side / front collision?

cnfabo

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 03:05:27 am »

How do you adjust camber and castor on the front ends.I see it has no accentic adjuster under the top ball joint for camber so I'm curious as I no fak all about  a arm suspensions...

Thanks
Fabo
-Alex-

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 16:39:10 pm »

Mendeola suspension doesnt have adjustable Caster, but it has adjustable Camber at lower a-arm eccentric bolts:

wph

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 19:38:41 pm »

If the front suspension design is "sound", aka well thought out and tested there usuallly isn't a reason to
make caster adjustable. Caster angle mostly affects self centering and straight line stability of the steering.
Although in some rare cases you may want to add some caster to the "ditch" side of the road, to compensate
the radius of the road profile. Rain water has to flow towards the ditches.... This concers mostly cars with very
sensitive steering feedback, car pulls to the ditch side of the road even if the wheel alignment is correct. 
Fiatdude

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 20:09:16 pm »

Alex -- Great Build -- I would love to find a berg 5 speed bus trans somewhere -- I have a couple of suggestions before you get to far along --

First -- since I've had my Ghia on the ground for a while I found that I wished that I had done a 3" narrowing on each side of the torsion bar -- it would allow a lot more rear tire in there and it would make it easier to fit them too -- -- it basically gets the torsion arms out of the way, but you can still use the stock length axles with modified swing arms -- you can never have too much tire on the back when you have a big engine -- -- I'm at 2989 with a turbo

second -- I would run your back bars back into the luggage area so that you can tie into the frame horns (like you would see on a Lumus 6 point cage) -- once your start adding HP you will need this tied in to stiffen everything up ---- ---

I found this reference for building a cage so that it conforms to NASA rally (SCCA) specs -- good reference info

http://www.nasarallysport.com/rules-forms/2012-NASA-Rally-Sport-GRR-Appendix-B.pdf

Third -- I would recommend building an intake so that you can use a single throttle body -- I'm running a 70mm off a Mustang -- Multiple TB's look cool but are a total headache

I love the german look -- good luck with your project

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 20:53:19 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
wph

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 20:28:16 pm »

It looks like these rules are almost the same as our national regarding rally/track cars, metric tubing sizes are exactly
the same. NHRA and our local sanctioning body seem to share the same rules but the NASA vs NHRA requirements
regarding the roll cage tube sizing differ a lot. I ran into this years back while I was thinking of going towards
combined track/drag car. No worky situation.....   
-Alex-

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 20:35:04 pm »

But i told, i am not racing in any class - when talking about rollcage.  Only  street, highway and occasional trackdays Smiley   Sidebar WILL be low enough at front for easy going in and out.

About framehorns - i do have 5-bar käfer cup brace, should help a lot.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: