The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 14:09:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Hypereutectic vs Forged piston to bore clearances..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hypereutectic vs Forged piston to bore clearances..  (Read 2667 times)
JLaw

« on: January 15, 2014, 11:02:28 am »

Hi,

I am having a set of ductile iron barrels made for me and I need to specify what piston to bore clearance I would like. What are your thoughts regarding clearance per inch of bore for both a hypereutectic mahle and a forged piston in this application? Any ideas would be great to help me settle on a size.

Cheers,

John.
mr horsepower

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:37:51 am »

Once had that problem
And then i put the piston and cilinder in the oven
To heat it up and then i could measurre it dynamic .
Gr henri

It give s you a good indication for the final hone
Taylor

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 00:52:54 am »

There are too many factors to give you a recommendation.   Is it a naturally aspirated,  turbo or nitrous?  Is it a street car or racing only?  Who made the pistons? 
JLaw

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:36 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, its a turbo street motor running 18psi. The pistons are an older hypereutectic mahle design that are turbo specific.

Cheers.
Taylor

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:01 am »

I would think you could get away with .005-.006"  as a low and high clearance.   But if they are ductile iron, do they have fins?   If you like to fire it up and stomp on the gas you might shoot for the high side.  Look up Mike Lawless or run a search for clearances run with AA "forged" pistons as I believe they are of similar construction.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:08:30 am by Taylor » Logged
Taylor

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 02:06:05 am »

.....One more thing.  If you don't have the manufacturer's specs sheet in front of you, you will want to find out how big the skirt on your piston is to start with before calling out a spec to the honer on bore size. $.02
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: