The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 13:14:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Has anyone ever run a VW engine the opposite way?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Has anyone ever run a VW engine the opposite way?  (Read 3649 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« on: January 29, 2014, 12:41:43 pm »

It would require a few changes, but has anyone ever done it? I mean counterclockwise.
Most things have been done at some point, and I seem to remember reading about it at some point but I can't remember where.
Anyone?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 13:54:58 pm »

like this Jon .... Grin Grin Grin ...OK I go out  Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 14:56:44 pm »

to what advantage Huh I know Corvairs go the "wrong" way  Undecided

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Stripped66

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 17:50:05 pm »

to what advantage Huh I know Corvairs go the "wrong" way  Undecided

Perhaps to use a Corvair auto-transaxle?

At minimum you'd need a cam ground for reverse rotation, and a solution for the oil pump that otherwise would be trying to draw oil through its outlet. The distributor gear *might* cause some problem (or not?), but is nothing crank-fired ignition/EFI couldn't fix. The engine shouldn't care either way.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 17:55:11 pm by Stripped66 » Logged
RhoadsVW

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:58:52 am »

I remember in the 70's and 80 Scat did several reverse rotation engines with some luck in race cars.  I don't remember a lot about them but remember several customers coming by with them in their cars.

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Lee.C

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:32 am »

I remember in the 70's and 80 Scat did several reverse rotation engines with some luck in race cars.  I don't remember a lot about them but remember several customers coming by with them in their cars.

Hmmm interesting......

I am still not seeing much "Advantage" though  Undecided

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »

Thanks for contributing Dave! Do you remember what kind of racecars they were? Sprints, drag racing or sandrails maybe?

RhoadsVW

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 22:42:39 pm »

The one that stands out was a red drag race car in 1985. Don't think there was any lettering on it but he stopped by to see Tom Lieb for some pointers on tuning and things for reverse rotation as he was on his way to Sac. Tom is very knowledgeable about reverse rotation and I remember several phone calls to him about it.

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
brian e

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:38:52 am »

Hmmm interesting......

Old story/rumor I heard was in the midwest V8 dirt track world, an old racer guy built a reverse rotation V8 and flipped the 9" third member over to get the thing to drive forward again.  The idea was that the torque of the now reversed engine torqued the car to the inside of the track, instead of the outside, and kept the car planted better while turning left.  It supposedly worked very well, and once discovered, it was quickly banned. 

Maybe Scat was doing something similar on their midget engines? 
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:06 am »

But was it outlawed in PRA?

Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »

Hmmm interesting......

Old story/rumor I heard was in the midwest V8 dirt track world, an old racer guy built a reverse rotation V8 and flipped the 9" third member over to get the thing to drive forward again.  The idea was that the torque of the now reversed engine torqued the car to the inside of the track, instead of the outside, and kept the car planted better while turning left.  It supposedly worked very well, and once discovered, it was quickly banned. 

Maybe Scat was doing something similar on their midget engines? 

Ahhhh I see..... I did think something like this Mightbe the reason but I didn't want to sound Stupid  Undecided

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: