The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 15:12:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Type 64 Being Built For 36hp Challenge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Type 64 Being Built For 36hp Challenge  (Read 15234 times)
36hplandspeedracer

« on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:56 am »

Could that be true? Better believe it! A crew of four North Carolina craftsmen have been building the body, chassis and engine for what is a recreation of the most beautiful Volkswagen ever crafted, the infamous 1939 Volkswagen KDF Type 64 (aka Type 60K10) Berlin to Rome racer.

This very special project began two and a half years ago and is now 75% complete. The chassis is rolling and the front and rear windows were recently fitted. Currently the top is off while a six point cage is assembled.

The car will compete in the 36hp Challenge Unlimited 36 category and the teams goal is to capture the fifty year old record of Dick Beiths Pepco puffed lakester. Minimum speed goal is 130 miles per hour.

Wolfsburg Wests Okrasa style heads will be part of the potent big bore 36hp engine being developed to meet and then exceed their goals. Our 36hp Challenge "1" Club hats are off to Bruce, Dave, Whitey and Elbert.

Stay tuned to these pages for updates and more photos as they become available. For more info about this Type 64 and the VW Challenge go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge and "Friend" the 36hp VW Challenge.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:02:52 am by 36hplandspeedracer » Logged
Frallan

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 15:38:50 pm »

Very inspiring!
Craftsmen heroes!

Airspeed

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:32:18 am »

Totally amazing and a perfect car for something like this.

Curieus what mph she will run.

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
fish

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 14:52:05 pm »

Beautiful..................

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:48 am »

Creating a T64 from scratch is an expensive and time consuming process. Here is the latest photo from Bruce Cook and his crew showing the car is now resting on the chassis, windows and frames installed. Plans are to have the car ready to race in 2015 and take it to a ECTA meet in Ohio for preliminary test and tuning. And hopefully set a new 36hp Challenge Unlimited top speed record.

Stay tuned for more photos as the project proceeds...........................

Burly
ianmac

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 19:49:59 pm »

Wow   Shocked very nice....
Jos

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 00:39:23 am »

Is the trip to Ohio for the Wilmington ohio standing mile trials? I'll be extremely excited to see it there.
36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 17:07:59 pm »

It has been awhile since the last update on the 36hp Challenge Type 64 recreation being built in North Carolina. The crew of Bruce Cook, Dave MIller, Whitey Worsham and Elbert Efird have been working vigorously behind the scenes to make this masterpiece come together so I thought I would post the latest photos they have shared. As can be seen, the extremely difficult part of creating the body, all of the interior panels, are now formed and installed. Kudos to Dave for this amazing effort. Enjoy the images............Burly

All photos by Bruce Cook
richie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 17:24:08 pm »

Thanks Burlie Smiley,

that thing is insane, so much skill involved Cool

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Joel Mohr

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 17:42:45 pm »

Just one word....BEAUTIFUL!!!

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
RhoadsVW

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 08:46:01 am »

Incredible craftsmanship. Great to see!!!

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
smurf67

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 23:32:44 pm »

Wow just wow not much else can say really truly incredible...
36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 00:48:16 am »

G'day everyone

Below is the latest T64 36hp Challenge racer update from Dave at Copacetic. Enjoy.........

Burly

Happy New Year!

It has been a long time since the last photos in July, but the work continues.

The doors and lids have been been assembled. The front lid and doors are hinged and latched.

The rear lid needs more attention to the fit, and it will be pinned and latched rather than hinged.

The difficult engineering and design issues have been solved, though I am certain that there will be refinements before the project is complete.

Yes, there is still a lot of work left, but I can see the completed body from here.

I’m still working on the taillight configuration, but I think I’ll stick with “snowflakes.” Fortunately, the taillights will be pretty simple to change around. It looks like each of the original T64's had three distinct and different configurations, so I figure a fourth would have also.

The rear 3/4 view shows the "snowflake" 55 to 57 taillight assemblies. I will describe them as "non T64" style to distinguish the clear definition between the Copacetic T64 vehicle(s) and the KDF originals.

I’ll let the engine and chassis guys update you on their progress.

Dave Miller
Copacetic Metal Shaping
36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 23:26:49 pm »

This is the I.R.S. chassis that will set beneath the beautiful T64 body currently being assembled in North Carolina.

Photo by Bruce Cook

Photo by Dave Miller-Copacetic

Burly
36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 20:05:01 pm »

The Type 64 crew from North Carolina has shared many body images and now the the highly modified 36hp engine being prepared by Whitey Worsham of German Automotive together with Bruce Cook is nearing completion. The photos below share some of the technology Whitey has engineered into the mighty 36er including a solution to the problem of lifter angle when using Porsche 356 lifters and finding 85.5mm pistons. Enjoy............

Burly

http://s494.photobucket.com/user/36hplandspeedracer/media/T64%20DSC00478%201_zpsxtpvm2py.jpg.html

36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 20:06:27 pm »

FLASH ! ! ! !

The Type 64 recreation body is complete and rolling on the late Beetle chassis. A private open house was held this past weekend to introduce the masterpiece of craftsmanship to the world. Now, it is time for the DSS36 engine and IRS trans-axle installation, roll cage and safety equipment fitment and final assembly and testing, which is anticipated to be complete sometime this Spring. Below are a few pics from the final body assembly and roll-out.

Progress reports will be posted as they are made available. Gonna be fun.......

36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 03:50:38 am »

Dave Miller, Copacetic Metal Shaping, is the owner/creator of the body on the amazing T64 tribute racer. Below are recent pics showing the blending of the roll cage into the Berlin-Roma clone. This is not SCTA legal but designed to pass ECTA regulations for the class and speeds the car is expected to reach (est. 150-160 mph). Here are Daves own words and photos.................................Pay particular attention to how the cage is enveloped by the inner bodywork to retain the original Berlin-Roma coupes persona while still adding this critical safety component.

In January, Eric Yost (Customs by Bigun) designed, built and installed a beautiful six point cage in the Typ 64.
The car returned to Copacetic Metal Shaping for the final assembly of the body, and finishing touches.

"After nearly five years, the body is finished, and now on loan to Bruce Cook.

Bruce came by on March 16th, and with the help of a few friends, we lifted the body off of my street chassis, and set it on Bruce’s land speed chassis. With some minor adjustment, we were able to bolt the body and chassis together. The body is so light, that half a dozen guys were able to complete the task without damage to the car, or the participants. Bruce and the team are now preparing the car for land speed competition.

We do not know when or where yet, but stay tuned."

36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 05:49:57 am »

Jeff Huber of the Gear Garage has completed the transaxle for the T64 and all the components are now coming together in preparation for the first test. When Bruce Cook reinstalls the Dave Miller/Copacetic body back on the race prepped chassis, it will be for the final time. Stay tuned, getting close............

Photos by Bruce Cook

WhiteTrash

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 21:09:06 pm »

It's looking very good. Can't wait to see the finished car running.
I assume the trans is a 5 speed with the extra part in the middle?
Why are you using box section rear swing arms and not standard Super Beetle or even Porsche 924 arms?
Are you worried about flex or are these arms longer than standard to stretch the wheelbase?
Cheers Frank

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
36hplandspeedracer

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 02:39:15 am »

Everyday brings more progress..........................Note the mix of the latest technology (dash) combined with classic T64 pre-1940's styling. Photos by Bruce Cook.

slowlearner

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 07:39:27 am »

Man, I loved the original racer and this is even cooler!

Side-note, what the difference between the 36hp case and a later 1300/1500 case?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: