The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:42:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  RHD Linkpin steering system options
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RHD Linkpin steering system options  (Read 2386 times)
leec

« on: April 03, 2014, 23:22:07 pm »

Thinking of options for my Lummus Chassis with linkpin front end.
Just realised how ugly a VW steering box is and wondered if anyone can recommend an alternative set up? The off road boys and girls use a rack an pinion, these any good?

Lee
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:04 am »

Rack and pinion is better than a steering box.  So if you can, you might as well.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
spanners

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 18:13:47 pm »

A Polo rack works well as it's centre pickup for the inner tie rod ends, giving a long overall tie rod which can be engineered for zero bump steer, and lock to lock time is good, the column can be adapted too with all the switchgear if required,  personally tho, if you are abandoning a perfectly packaged steering system just for bragging rights and 'looks' you may be disappointed, as there is nothing wrong with the VW s 'box setup other than its a bit slow lock to lock, if you can't get a 'box set up bang on and bump steer perfect, what chance you got with a rack instal?  it's easy to get a rack installed badly and a car so unstable it's a handful even in a straight line, let alone in the sweepers, I like to keep the VW logo on as many parts as possible,  the stock kit takes some beating and I believe change too much and you no longer race a Beetle, part of my fun is spanking ' loaded' cars with what's still a Beetle,  my cars not scared of 911's anyway,  just my view and take on it anyway Wink

Best regards, spanners.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 18:22:39 pm »

Don't use one of the off-road Stiletto racks, even though they are light. I fitted one to No Mercy and removed it after two events as it was too 'quick'. Polo racks seem to the the best option. I'd still stay with the stock box. You don't want a quick rack on a drag race car... IMHO, of course

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
leec

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 19:51:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys.
Looks like factory steering is staying. Ron Lummus recommended the stock steering box moved slightly closer to the centre of the beam.
Lee
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 20:58:41 pm »

Don't forget about the JCL-style set up with the long rod from the steering box and then an even longer one across to the other side. Matt used that set up on All Torque if I remember right. Worth looking for that thread!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
spanners

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 22:05:24 pm »

Function over form is prevailing!  ;DAnother pro for the stock box is it's light, doesn't seem so at first glance because it's small and the weight is over a small area if that adds up, but weigh up some racks and all becomes clear, it also survives big crashes far better than a rack ever would, I have a pre measured and set up drop arm and tie rod set ready to drop right in place for any damaging shunts, and the top cover bolts really need lock wiring for racing use.

Best regards, spanners.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: